Best city for Deaf people?

Honestly, I don't remember seeing smog...I mostly remember blissful weather. I love Orange county but whew...it's expensive!!!

Yep, Expensive. I bought a house there in last almost 30 years ago, this house was too expensive, hard time to expense vast billings. Now I have few billings and sounds comfy budget but I am not happy with property taxes that keep raising fee. :mad:

In 1970's, there were very thick smog layers in O.C.(close to Los Angeles county), made my eyes burn and stayed inside the classroom, cant play outside with my classmates. With smog program that bulldoze all dirty vehicles to the boneyards (junkyards) where the owners are not able to spend the money on the repairs their vehicles to meet the stringent emission law. Today in OC is good air quality cuz the wind from west, push the smog layers to Riverside/ San Bernardino county.

Yep, Expensive. I bought a house there in last almost 30 years ago, this house was too expensive, hard time to expense vast billings. Now I have few billings and sounds comfy budget but I am not happy with property taxes that keep raising fee. :mad:

30 years ago? You could have made easy money if you put up with it.

Housing was generally around 100-200k's at OC/LA in the 1980's and since the skyrocketing housing rose up, you could have sold it off for the 400-500k's easily the past 10-15 years. It's hovering around 375-450k's right now for the average home.

Yep. Hence why I want to move back to Richmond. I have some ideas on how to get back but I need to work out on some ideas first and I need to get in touch with some people about this tomorrow.

Are you serious about moving back to Richmond? We really do have to have a greater D.C./Virginia area get-together! More and more of the best people are moving in this direction. :lol:

I prefer on all the time I don't want to moving because expensive costs worst future $$ expensive on house. I think few people many lots of people have expensive costs really! it is very lots of complication deaf city!

Olathe has a problem with fundamentalist "Christians." Not exactly a cool place to live. All of Johnson Co. Kansas might be better.

It's the location of Kansas School for the Deaf since the 1860's and has an extremely active deaf community.

Are you serious about moving back to Richmond? We really do have to have a greater D.C./Virginia area get-together! More and more of the best people are moving in this direction. :lol:

I don't think I could afford DC though I've thought about it as well.

D.C. area is a nice place to live, but it IS expensive in housing, that's for sure. And real estate taxes - OUCH!!!

I was watching "House Hunters" a while ago and a young couple was touring various houses in Richmond. They were looking at houses in the $250,000 - $300,000 range, and I was STUNNED at what that would buy in Richmond. Really nice 4-bedroom houses. That amount of money would barely buy you a one-bedroom condo around D.C., if that.

'course prices have fallen some here, but still, your money is likely to go a lot, lot further in getting a nice place to live in Richmond.

D.C. area is a nice place to live, but it IS expensive in housing, that's for sure. And real estate taxes - OUCH!!!

I was watching "House Hunters" a while ago and a young couple was touring various houses in Richmond. They were looking at houses in the $250,000 - $300,000 range, and I was STUNNED at what that would buy in Richmond. Really nice 4-bedroom houses. That amount of money would barely buy you a one-bedroom condo around D.C., if that.

'course prices have fallen some here, but still, your money is likely to go a lot, lot further in getting a nice place to live in Richmond.

Oh, how I long for homes that cheap...

It's the location of Kansas School for the Deaf since the 1860's and has an extremely active deaf community.
Yep-- I think deaf ed in the public schools benefits from the resources at KSD. Like I said, however, since it is a large urban area, looking at the whole Johnson Co. area, instead of Olathe, is a good idea.

London - Although I'd recommend you living somewhere in middle of England as there is a lot of events that are occurring everywhere in England just to reduce your travelling costs.

i know that florida has a huge Deaf community in Jacksonville and St. Augustine

City of Rochester employees KNOWS Deaf needs!

I was damn impressed with city of Rochester NY building code enforcement department.

I just had the chimney installed along with wood burning stove. I love wood burning stoves as they keep house toasty warm all the way. I no want to give gas company profits.
Anyway, when I was done installing the wood stove, called the inspector to come out here and inspect the installation. Guess what the inspector did, WITHOUT me asking them? .... He brought an interpreter! I was like whoa! how nice! Things went smoothly and the inspector loves my wood burning stove and like the way I installed the system.
He was also impressed how I set up smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. The alarm was required when one install any appliance that emits carbon monoxide (New York state law).
Kudo these city employees that uses their head and got interpreter. I don't think any other cities would have thought of this without asking Deaf residents.

Im now looking forward to winter time! Love the snow, bugs free environment, oxygen rich crispy air. Plus if power went out, not a problem for us.

DHB

I was damn impressed with city of Rochester NY building code enforcement department.

I just had the chimney installed along with wood burning stove. I love wood burning stoves as they keep house toasty warm all the way. I no want to give gas company profits.
Anyway, when I was done installing the wood stove, called the inspector to come out here and inspect the installation. Guess what the inspector did, WITHOUT me asking them? .... He brought an interpreter! I was like whoa! how nice! Things went smoothly and the inspector loves my wood burning stove and like the way I installed the system.
He was also impressed how I set up smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. The alarm was required when one install any appliance that emits carbon monoxide (New York state law).
Kudo these city employees that uses their head and got interpreter. I don't think any other cities would have thought of this without asking Deaf residents.

Im now looking forward to winter time! Love the snow, bugs free environment, oxygen rich crispy air. Plus if power went out, not a problem for us.

DHB

Awesome! Do you cut your own wood?

Top Deaf-friendly Cities

Austin, TX
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Columbia, MD
Columbus, OH
Denver, CO
Frederick, MD
Fremont, CA
Indianapolis, IN
Knoxville, TN
Los Angeles, CA
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
New York, NY
Olathe, KS
Pittsburgh, PA
Rochester, NY
St. Augustine, FL
Seattle, WA
Washington, D.C.

I absolutely loved Indianapolis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Seattle when I visited the deaf communities there. If I ever leave Knoxville, I would move to one of these cities.

Olathe was nice but I wouldn't want to live there. Same goes for both New York City and Washington, D.C.

Also, I couldn't live anywhere that is too hot and humid.

Being From Paducah Kentucky and Living in Riverside and Sacramento, CA California is such a big adjustment and it is expensive. Washington Dc will be more expensive I believe. Arizona and TX have hot to hot weather.
I like Sacramento more than Riverside but its a far drive to Fremont.

What are you looking for in the city you live in besides cost of living and temps?

If you don't like heat, I wouldn't advise Arizona last summer our average was over 120, highest was 128. My teacher said that Riverside is where it's at.

Back