Best cities for the Deaf

I rather live in ice box than in the oven.

I can't stand the heat, and as soon as I bought my house and moved in, I immediately ordered Central AC installed.

Why is it all the Deaf communities are in areas that are really friggin' cold in the Winter time?

I'm from NYC, and go to school in Ann Arbor, MI.

I recently lost my hearing, so I am just discovering NYC from the vantage point of being deaf after living here my whole life. It's actually pretty good! While I don't know sign language/ASL yet (though I am learning), I get the sense that the city is actually pretty deaf friendly. Most of the newer subway trains have signs that say the next step (as opposed to a guy speaking it who I obviously can't hear now), and people seem to be pretty receptive to writing things down or making it easy for me to try to read their lips.

In Ann Arbor, where I go to school, my college campus is really good too! When I graduate though, i definitely see myself going back to NYC.

-Lauren

I'm from NYC, and go to school in Ann Arbor, MI.

I recently lost my hearing, so I am just discovering NYC from the vantage point of being deaf after living here my whole life. It's actually pretty good! While I don't know sign language/ASL yet (though I am learning), I get the sense that the city is actually pretty deaf friendly. Most of the newer subway trains have signs that say the next step (as opposed to a guy speaking it who I obviously can't hear now), and people seem to be pretty receptive to writing things down or making it easy for me to try to read their lips.

In Ann Arbor, where I go to school, my college campus is really good too! When I graduate though, i definitely see myself going back to NYC.

-Lauren

NYC is a large number of Deaf community. There are so many NYC NJ and Long Island people to hang out in NYC. Jiro is from NJ who goes to NYC all the time. :D

Yeah, I am discovering that... Though I was born and raised here, I never knew about how big the deaf community was until I lost my hearing. Pretty cool as I learn ASL.

NYC is a large number of Deaf community. There are so many NYC NJ and Long Island people to hang out in NYC. Jiro is from NJ who goes to NYC all the time. :D

Yeah, I am discovering that... Though I was born and raised here, I never knew about how big the deaf community was until I lost my hearing. Pretty cool as I learn ASL.

same here!

Rochester, New York is considered to be the most deaf friendly city in the United States.
Hi also the state of Pennsylvania is also a deaf friendly state too, in Pittsburgh they have two deaf friendly social clubs

Also there's a deaf school in Pittsburgh for children from first grade to twelve grade it's call the Washington school for the deaf

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas ☃️ you all enjoy your weekend with family and friends it's great rest and relaxation for all. Yes the Deaf community is a wonderful exhilarating community and it has many attributes of many organizations within the community, you just need to keep after it and don't be shy, let people know your disability there's no shame remember it's a part of life only thing is to learn and navigate how to use it towards our advantage. I've been hearing impaired since the early ',80s that's a long time and dealing with how to get around my many obstacles small & large.
I'll give you an example by the way I have also lived in Seattle Washington it was short lived but it's and amazing Deaf friendly city as well. I learned a lot from the facility where they administer heading aids and the people who work there. Per the receptionist I asked some questions and he was very well informed about the many different organizations within the community for the deaf. It was like the sun opened up, the same goes for Pittsburgh and people in both cities are awesome dedicated and friendly too. Unfortunately where I live and the state of Florida is not a Deaf friendly state they say that it is but in reality it's not. I live in Broward county and it's adjacent to Miami-Dade and West Palm Beach counties they have some community social gatherings clubs only thing is that there not community friendly to an extent and to far out of the way depending on there locations.
So if your living in a better Deaf friendly city make the best of it and if your able to live in that city or tow nake the best of putting roots in your fair city. I'm sure there are plenty of activities within that city for the Deaf friendly community and also in the general way too. You know restaurant, theater, shopping, etc., Plus between Pittsburgh Seattle and NYC all have character meaning wonderful and awesome views every which way. Something for everyone. In Florida all you really have ls flatlands and the Beaches with the exception for Monroe county the islans of key West.
So for now I leave you with this thought, always dream big and enjoy everything and everyone it's an amazing tool, beat to you all, take care for now and have a safe happy New year 2022

Just curious. I live in the DFW area and there don't seem to be alot of Deaf/HoH groups (maybe I don't know where to look). Are there any cities that people find to be better than others?
Hi this is Bobby and Happy New year ✨to you this is a map of the 20 most Deaf friendly cities in the usa

Here is a graphic which lists the Top cities by region:

Deaf411 surveyed 3,700 deaf Americans by asking if they considered the current city they live in is “Deaf-Friendly.” The survey also included questions about accessible recreational activities, community events, resources in these cities for deaf people, etc.

I
Just curious. I live in the DFW area and there don't seem to be alot of Deaf/HoH groups (maybe I don't know where to look). Are there any cities that people find to be better than others?
I've never considered this kind of question, because I would have thought most cities the deaf would be treated the same.

I've never even looked in my area for deaf groups or anything related to deafness, weird maybe, or just lazyness.:lol:

Rochester, NY
Austin, TX
Washington, DC
New York, New York
Los Angeles, CA
Chicago, IL

If you want cheapest yet Deaf Friendly city, then Rochester NY would be top on list. I am not sure about Austin cost of living. Yup, I am in Rochester, NY.
Both DC and Rochester as well as NYC.. well, all of those cities are very expensive to live in. If you want to live cheaper, the Deep South is best bet and Midwest as well. Depends on your personality. I would rather suburb toward countryside. NYS has too high taxes and liberal stance. It is a Blue state. Practically every city you listed are blue cities. NYC is very expensive. Most expensive actually in the US. US cost of living average is 100. NYC is way above 100. Like around 120 or so. Meaning 20 percent higher cost of living compared to what you earn. I am more toward red-- I am Conservative. I am actually relocating this summer to the Deep South or FL where there are red states and red cities but not looking for a city with Deaf people. I am toward the sunset of my life. Looks like you will have NYC people to be governor for quite a very long time. I am glad that man is out of office in Albany but another NYC!? No. All are my opinion.

Back