Best Buy's Restock Fee

Mrs Bucket

Reaction score
Christmas shopping is now at full blast but beware if you shop at Best Buy! This fact has been Snoped and it is also at Best Buy's website too!

Restocking Fee
A 15% restocking fee will be charged on opened notebook computers, tables, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems. A 25% restocking fee will be charged on special order products, including appliances. These fees apply unless the item is defective or damaged, you received the wrong item, or the fee is prohibited by law.

Who's being a Grinch this year?

bestbuygrinch.jpg

Yeah, restocking fees are pretty ridiclous! Not only Best Buy have that issue, other stores too. That picture of Grinch stealing a tree with Best Buy is a perfect fit. :)

Grinch.
They are around every week and every day by the people who take advantage of returns...

that's fine with me. just think twice before you buy it otherwise why return it?

I think they are trying to cut down on people who actually make money off of returns. They purchase an item on sale for a limited time. They take it home and wait until the item returns to regular price. They return the item to the store without the receipt and they receive the cash amount of the full price of the item, not the sale price for which it was purchased. They end up making money off these returns. That is why some stores charge a restocking fee.

That is why if you receive a gift and you open it and it is not what you wanted, it is best to sell it on ebay to try and recoup *some* of your money. I've never had to do this but I have heard of this being done so that people don't get charged with ridiculous re-stocking fees.

However if the item is damaged or has essential components missing then the store has to refund you your money or exchange it for a similarly priced item.

I think they are trying to cut down on people who actually make money off of returns. They purchase an item on sale for a limited time. They take it home and wait until the item returns to regular price. They return the item to the store without the receipt and they receive the cash amount of the full price of the item, not the sale price for which it was purchased. They end up making money off these returns. That is why some stores charge a restocking fee.

That is why if you receive a gift and you open it and it is not what you wanted, it is best to sell it on ebay to try and recoup *some* of your money. I've never had to do this but I have heard of this being done so that people don't get charged with ridiculous re-stocking fees.

However if the item is damaged or has essential components missing then the store has to refund you your money or exchange it for a similarly priced item.
Stores actually take stuff back without a receipt? :hmm: Sounds like an invitation to get ripped off...they have no way to determine whether the item in question has been stolen or even purchased at that store.

As for restock fees, I don't blame them. It costs the store money take items back and resell them. It is a very competitive market. They have to keep their prices low as possible to attract customers and the profit margins are thin.

Stores actually take stuff back without a receipt? :hmm: Sounds like an invitation to get ripped off...they have no way to determine whether the item in question has been stolen or even purchased at that store.

As for restock fees, I don't blame them. It costs the store money take items back and resell them. It is a very competitive market. They have to keep their prices low as possible to attract customers and the profit margins are thin.

yes. Wal-Mart. many stores do allow refund without receipt...... but only in store credit if you have no receipt.

It's Wal-Mart's policy to keep customers happy and keep them coming. Competition? they ain't got no competition. It is the competition :lol:

I remember when I asked employer to allow me open the item from the new box (it was not on demo) and they said they can't open it, and I have to buy it in order to open it. I did it, and then I found there's no lens protector included (but the box list says so) , and I had to talk with supervisor at BestBuy to get full refunded. It worked for me.

Other camera shop I went to allow me to open the camera lens and try it on my camera to see if I like the result, then buy it. I stopped buy things from bestbuy.

Best Buy sucks! Every time I go to purchase something, I can never find a salesperson who knows what s/he is talking about. So frustrating! Restock fee? I'll stock it back for them for free!

Yes, I know walmart will take the item if they currently carry it and the original price tag/bar code is still on the item.

Best Buy sucks! Every time I go to purchase something, I can never find a salesperson who knows what s/he is talking about. So frustrating! Restock fee? I'll stock it back for them for free!

Exactly. Perfect addition. :cheers:

Back