Best ASL books?

90sWizKid

Reaction score
I found out I was hard of hearing almost 4 years ago and have worn hearing aids ever since. I have sporadically been learning ASL over the years b/c 1) I work with special needs students who use and 2) I may eventually lose all of my hearing and need to communicate

Anyways, so when I found out I had lost some of my hearing they told me there was a chance I may continue losing it but to get my hearing checked often. I hadn't lost any since the first time I got check nearly 4 years ago, but I feel like I am now losing a little more at this point. My best friend and I went on spring break together and I told her I was a little concerned and she said that she had noticed that I hadn't been hearing her as much as I had the last time we saw each other (last summer). She was my rock when I initially found out I was losing my hearing and she understands my feelings but being as close as we are (we're talking Leslie and Ann from Parks and Rec close) also means that while we love/support/hold each others' hands when needed, it's also impossible for us not to find at least a little bit of humor in everything....

Anyways, she asked me to recommend a great ASL book that she can start with (we know it'll be easier to learn/practice with someone who is fluent, but that's not an option at the moment--might be later, but not now)....

So, any suggestions?? (also, we kinda both have sailor mouths, so any that have any sort of swear words wouldn't bother us in the slightest).

Books aren't the best way to learn ASL (or any language, for that matter).

The best way is in a live class with a Deaf teacher.

Better than books but not as good as live teachers is web classes that use animations to show the signs. Books can explain the rules of the language but they can't demonstrate the signs the way videos do.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Signs-Sexual-Behavior-Introduction-Sex-Related/dp/0932666027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427387007&sr=8-1&keywords=sex+asl]Signs of Sexual Behavior[/ame] :D

As Reba said, classes and internet are best, but if you can't do either, consider this. These are the workbooks we used in the classes I took at a deaf school.

http://www.dawnsign.com/series/signing-naturally-series/5

Thank you so much!!! This is exactly what I was looking for! I am very aware that classes really are the best, but we are both full time graduate students who teach and/or intern so our time to sit down and learn things is usually around 11 at night. Internet is also something we're gonna do, but sometimes you don't get signal on the subway on a commute and books are still a way to at least soak something up

Thank you so much!!! This is exactly what I was looking for! I am very aware that classes really are the best, but we are both full time graduate students who teach and/or intern so our time to sit down and learn things is usually around 11 at night. Internet is also something we're gonna do, but sometimes you don't get signal on the subway on a commute and books are still a way to at least soak something up

And these books have DVDs that you use for the homework/end of chapter quizzes.

Back