Best asl apps

Waitbird

Reaction score
Hello! Im teaching myself ASL through apps because my newborn daughter was born deaf and there are no ASL classes near me. I downloaded several free and paid ASL apps from the App Store. Here are my favorites. What are yours?

-ASL Dictionary ($9)
A search-by-word database of ASL videos. Save favorite words and the app automatically turns the list into a vocab quiz.

-The ASL App (free)
My fav ASL app! You can tell the creators had fun making it because the videos are super engaging. It offers units on numbers, ABCs, time, moods and commonly used phrases. Very easy to use and understand. It’s almost like playing a game.

-ASLT ($5)
This app gives me mixed feelings but it is nice to have. You type the English text and ASLT generates a word-for-word translation into ASL video. It won’t translate into proper ASL grammar or sentence structure, but then again, most automatic foreign language translators don’t account for grammar either. Definitely more for educational entertainment than rigorous ASL study.

-Sign School (free)
This is a great free app. It is definitely geared toward building vocabulary. It offers a limited dictionary (much fewer words than the paid ASL Dictionary app). It also divides ASL vocab into diverse video units - everything from geography and games to Deaf Culture and mouth morphemes. Excellent all-around learning app.

-Marlee Signs (free)
An ASL learning app with videos by the famous deaf actress. It’s basically just finger spelling. Not my fav but if you like the actress you might enjoy it.

Ive tried out a few other ASL apps but these were the ones I like the best. What apps have others tried and liked?

Back