Benzene.

The Highlander

Reaction score
482474_10151476501373706_1334655926_n.jpg

snopes.com: Benzene in Automobiles

Deafsmog, Is it false or true?

Since Freon is very toxic. What's if evaporator got leak and blow to front dash. Is is risk?

Oh yes, it is true. That's why many people are dropping dead behind the wheel on a daily basis during hot weather.....

I don't know.. Most automatic climate control will turn A/C on about 5 to 10 seconds delay after starting the engine.

Looking at the data sheet is doesn't look like R-134 is that bad. Says if you inhale a lot of it it can cause cardiac arrhythmia but I doubt you'd get that much from sitting in your car with an AC leak.

Benzene is a real carcinogen and has been rerated in recent years as more is learned about it. They now know that a lot less of it then previously believed can bring on various cancers.
Up here in Alaska the benzene is not stripped from the fuels refined here so it is especially hazardous to breathe the fumes while refueling.
Because we are a place where residents retire elsewhere and a majority of the oilfield workers are transient it is tough to track what happens down the road. People here have a lot of fuel exposure - more small airplane traffic per capita than anywhere in the world. Lots of snow machine and ATV action. Self serve almost every where at the pumps.
I see people often myself with their sniffers right in the fumes. I mostly get away from the fumes when possible.
So I take this warning seriously. Cancer is bad news stuff.

It's the plastic of the automotive inside that emit Benzine. Not the A/C. I agree with that because Plastics emits poison when it's very hot inside. Roll down window and let interior cools down a bit then fire up engine and turn on A/C. A/C only just push Benzine to you while breathing in.

It's the plastic of the automotive inside that emit Benzine. Not the A/C. I agree with that because Plastics emits poison when it's very hot inside. Roll down window and let interior cools down a bit then fire up engine and turn on A/C. A/C only just push Benzine to you while breathing in.

That made better sense. Many plastics emit posionous fumes when very hot.

That's why it's smell funny for short time during HOT weather.

Back