Benefits to being Deaf/HOH

My boyfriend and I were discussing things today and he asked why I didn't want a Cochlear Implant. I know I posted saying that I didn't see my HL as something to be grateful for, and that I saw it as broken or impaired... but today, I realised that I actually embrace it a lot more than I realize. I would never permanently change myself into a hearing person. My deafness has helped me become such a better person than if I had never known the difference. I'm so lucky to have the life that I have and lucky to have been taught so many valuable lessons by this "disability" to hear. I'm not disabled after all- I'm just a little different.

and I have you guys to thank for showing me this.

A person is more than the sum of his/her parts. A minor deficit should not define who I am.

Another way to put it: There are a million things that I can do - and some of them terrifically well - and do not want to be judged on one criterion only.

My boyfriend and I were discussing things today and he asked why I didn't want a Cochlear Implant. I know I posted saying that I didn't see my HL as something to be grateful for, and that I saw it as broken or impaired... but today, I realised that I actually embrace it a lot more than I realize. I would never permanently change myself into a hearing person. My deafness has helped me become such a better person than if I had never known the difference. I'm so lucky to have the life that I have and lucky to have been taught so many valuable lessons by this "disability" to hear. I'm not disabled after all- I'm just a little different.

and I have you guys to thank for showing me this.

I think that I have learnt patience from being HOH. I wonder if this is correct: HOH/deafies are "better listeners".

I think that I have learnt patience from being HOH. I wonder if this is correct: HOH/deafies are "better listeners".

I've often said that HOH are often better listeners because they have to engage their brains, while hearies regularly switch off.

Actually, you are very correct. I've often noticed this about myself as well. Knowing how it feels to have people be impatient, condescending, rude because I can't hear everything all the time (or just the simple fact that impatience with something I can't help, makes that person look like more of a retard then they're treating me like :roll:) naturally taught me to be patient with others. I don't want to make someone else feel like they're not good enough to listen/talk to/get to know just because they need me to compromise my way of communication a little bit to make it work, because that's what I expect of every single person I come into contact with.

Not to even mention that we already listen tenfold harder than anyone else just because we really do want to understand and not put people out without at least trying not to.

Actually, you are very correct. I've often noticed this about myself as well. Knowing how it feels to have people be impatient, condescending, rude because I can't hear everything all the time (or just the simple fact that impatience with something I can't help, makes that person look like more of a retard then they're treating me like :roll:) naturally taught me to be patient with others. I don't want to make someone else feel like they're not good enough to listen/talk to/get to know just because they need me to compromise my way of communication a little bit to make it work, because that's what I expect of every single person I come into contact with.

Not to even mention that we already listen tenfold harder than anyone else just because we really do want to understand and not put people out without at least trying not to.

In some cases, no. I have a couple of friends who talk on and on - not letting you talk at all.

I often need time to listen, i.e. the process "sound -> words" takes more time in case of bad hearing. I sense that people think that I am mentally slow. In my view, they are too impatient. There is a movement called Slow Food that advocates you-know-what. We need "Slow Talk" too.

Several people talking at the same time is annoying too. It means that I am better off reading a newspaper.

I often need time to listen, i.e. the process "sound -> words" takes more time in case of bad hearing. I sense that people think that I am mentally slow. In my view, they are too impatient. There is a movement called Slow Food that advocates you-know-what. We need "Slow Talk" too.

Several people talking at the same time is annoying too. It means that I am better off reading a newspaper.

I get 90% of my news from reading the newspaper or reading articles on CNN.com or local news stations' websites.

Sorry...Didnt mean to offend

Hmm, I am Deaf - not "hearing impaired", (I am not an impaired, broken person but a whole, healthy deaf person) but the art and idea - pretty cool! Nice job!

I guesss i was trying to be politacally correct...that's why i used the term "hearing impaired" i dont know ive only been deaf for 4 mounths and its taking a little time to get used to it...sorry again

no sweat. I can understand that about your hearing loss is about 4 months. hope things are going ok for you. I am glad that you do understand too. :)

Thanks everyone

When i was first diagnosed with profound, bilateral hearing loss (about 5 months ago) and the doctor's told me it was permanent i became angry, isolated, irritable and very depressed. When you can hear well your entire life and suddenly lose hearing in both ears it can be shocking & scary. and you realize the things you take for granted like the small luxuries (i.e. going to a concert, or a movie, listening to music etc...) but especially communicating with family & friends. not even being able to make a phone call & having to rely on people to help me with the most mundane tasks. and for someone who is very independent it nuscanse. i also felt like i was the only deaf person around. thats why im glad i joined this community! ;)
Anyway, the reason i created this motif was when, one day i was driving in the car with my ex-wife & 3 kids. the kids were fighting & and my ex was yelling at them. i knew this even though couldnt hear a thing. so i was able to sit the in my own quiet, blissful thoughts...it was very peaceful and serene. i realized that i was able to shut off all the other noises & distractions as well...SO BEING DEAF ISN'T BAD AT ALL!! it's actually quite peaceful! :)

I can see how hard it is. be sure to go to the late deafened thread it seems to me that its helpful for anyone who just lost it at a later time.

I like the idea what you made the picture here. though.

I find the NYT irrevelant as I live in the deep Southeastern United States. I'm pretty much cut off from NY and it might as well be on a different planet compared to where I live.

However the Daily Telegraph has a lot of interesting articles that are much more in depth than American sources - that I like to read when I get the time.

Other than that; we have very different sources of news which is interesting.

For general stuff, I like BBC, Chicago Trib., Democracy Now, and local indie papers from anywhere; have only in the last year or so found out about the TED presentations from here< :ty: >
and have enjoyed those, too.

This thread is silencist and totally disrespectful to those of us with tinnitus! :)

I have tinnitus as well…along with vertigo & loss of balance...I guess those are the consequential symptoms of being bilaterally deaf...But I don’t know which is worse…The tinnitus is definitely very annoying because for me it is constant and it’s not just a “ringing”…it’s a cacophony of sounds all at once!! It totally sucks!!! lol :lol:

I find the NYT irrevelant as I live in the deep Southeastern United States. I'm pretty much cut off from NY and it might as well be on a different planet compared to where I live.

The US is big: rather half a continent than a country, from a certain point of view.

Back