Benefits to being Deaf/HOH

Geo31522

Reaction score
I put together this collage to show the benefits of being deaf...and why I won't ever let it get me down!!

geo31522-albums-some-samples-my-art-work-picture5475-yogacollage.pdf

Hmm, I am Deaf - not "hearing impaired", (I am not an impaired, broken person but a whole, healthy deaf person) but the art and idea - pretty cool! Nice job!

This thread is silencist and totally disrespectful to those of us with tinnitus! :)

not disrespectful, more forgetful. tinnitus is a less know problem

Hmm, I am Deaf - not "hearing impaired"

The word "impaired" is really not positive at all.
What about "hearing free"? :lol:

Fits those with tinnitus, too, I guess.

I hope I'm not being disrespectful to anyone...

The word "impaired" is really not positive at all.
What about "hearing free"? :lol:

Fits those with tinnitus, too, I guess.

I hope I'm not being disrespectful to anyone...

Heh. "Hearing free" definitely doesn't describe folks like me with my rare "central hearing impairment" or CAPD. :giggle: Have to agree that I generally dislike the "impaired" part, even though that's how my audiologist described me.

Sometimes I wish I could turn my hearing off like the OP describes. The best I can do is a white noise generator or music that I use when I'm trying to focus in a noisy environment.

FYI: CAPD/"central hearing impairment/loss" is an auditory problem beyond the ears in the central nervous system that generally results in inability to process audio correctly, despite usually receiving a more or less intact audio signal from the ears. I describe it to people by saying that I "hear too much." I hear every sound in my environment and can often have trouble sifting through the noise to find the speech signal.

True. Wonder if its ok with you to replace from impaired hearing to deaf. if you have read most of this forum then you would understand why i prefer deaf. so yes i am deaf. :)

by the way, nice collage.

Everywhere is our peace spot to spend time. No sound! No noise! Ahhhh

"hearing free" !!!! Waaahahahahahaha!!!! Gotta love it!!

I am soooo free from noise pollution! I am so thankful because air and water pollution is more than enough to deal with. lol

Since I am hearing-impaired, I also wear an eye mask when I sleep at night to create sensory deprivation so that I can get as much deep sleep as possible.

My hearing that which is hard-of, benefits me by... well... nevermind. It doesn't. But I'm someone that lives in a world where I don't have a community of deaf/HoH friends to blend into when I get sick of trying to keep up with the hearing world. I'm constantly in a state of ketchup. (ha.) I hate ketchup. My hearing is something i DO see as "impaired" and even "broken" because of the way my world makes me feel. Rarely do I get the leisure of getting to go home and call up a friend like me, and seek solace in sign language, because I don't know sign language well and have no one to talk to that knows it. so I constantly feel like I'm missing out, that I'm far behind everyone else, even my friends, because of my hearing. Rarely do I find it something to be grateful for because never do I feel that it's a conventional part of me to be so lacking in a sense that everyone around me relies on.

the only time I'm glad I'm HoH is when I'm sleeping- because things wont wake me up when they bump in the night unless it's a heavy enough bump to move me some way. The garbage man wakes me up-- the truck vibrates through the floor of my house. And even THEN-- I'm terrified of not waking up and burning alive in my house because I cannot hear the alarm and my (hearing) boyfriend and I can't afford to rig the bed/house for a (HoH) me.

My hearing that which is hard-of, benefits me by... well... nevermind. It doesn't. But I'm someone that lives in a world where I don't have a community of deaf/HoH friends to blend into when I get sick of trying to keep up with the hearing world. I'm constantly in a state of ketchup. (ha.) I hate ketchup. My hearing is something i DO see as "impaired" and even "broken" because of the way my world makes me feel. Rarely do I get the leisure of getting to go home and call up a friend like me, and seek solace in sign language, because I don't know sign language well and have no one to talk to that knows it. so I constantly feel like I'm missing out, that I'm far behind everyone else, even my friends, because of my hearing. Rarely do I find it something to be grateful for because never do I feel that it's a conventional part of me to be so lacking in a sense that everyone around me relies on.

the only time I'm glad I'm HoH is when I'm sleeping- because things wont wake me up when they bump in the night unless it's a heavy enough bump to move me some way. The garbage man wakes me up-- the truck vibrates through the floor of my house. And even THEN-- I'm terrified of not waking up and burning alive in my house because I cannot hear the alarm and my (hearing) boyfriend and I can't afford to rig the bed/house for a (HoH) me.

BACK UP!!!!!! You live in Corpus Christi which is in TEXAS!!!!!! Ever hear of STAP? You get the alarm or whatever you need FREE from the state.

There is a social meeting once every 2 months in Corpus Christi. The link is at Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DAS-Deaf-Adult-Social-Corpus-Christi-Texas/265150216845644

Back