Being hard of hearing is hard

Reaction score
So, I am a senior in high school and has experienced a significant loss of hearing within the last six months. I'm a person who tries to find the best way to become accustomed to the new environment or find a way to adjust.

Considering the circumstances I'd say that I've somewhat conformed, but my family hasn't. They just can't seem to adjust to the fact that I've accepted it and moved on.

I'm learning ASL, and I'm still going to a hearing school and being recruited by a deaf school.

I really need more friends who understands it.

Welcome, Alesander. I think you will find that most of us understand you, particularly when it comes to family. I urge you to follow your heart, so it won't ache when you're old and grey. :)

Welcome, Alesander. I think you will find that most of us understand you, particularly when it comes to family. I urge you to follow your heart, so it won't ache when you're old and grey. :)

Thank you for your very warm welcome and the wise quote! I really appreciate it.

Welcome :wave:

It can take time family to adjust...although sadly some never do. Sometimes signing with them even if they don't understand will help make it clear that it is what you need and may encourage them to learn.

Welcome!!! Which school are you going to go to? Gally, NTID? Sounds like you're doing all the right things....I am impressed... looks like all you need are dhh peers to relate to! What state are you in? Wonder if maybe there might be a local dhh program where you could meet other dhh teens?

Welcome!!! Which school are you going to go to? Gally, NTID? Sounds like you're doing all the right things....I am impressed... looks like all you need are dhh peers to relate to! What state are you in? Wonder if maybe there might be a local dhh program where you could meet other dhh teens?

RIT: Rochester Institute of Technology. I live in Arkansas, but thinking of splitting the four years into two.

High school is hard enough without being hard-of-hearing. I know 'cause I was in high school ten years! (Four as a teen and six as a teacher of teens :D)

Its sounds like you're doing all the right things to meet your challenges. :welcome:.

Back