Being deaf is

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
Being deaf is not a disable. Being deaf is not a broken toy. Being deaf is not an illness. Being deaf cannot be fixed because we are fine. Being deaf is incurable. We don't need a cure for us. We don't need a fix for us. We are normal like you. Please, stop thinking you can fix or cure us as you try to cure an incurable cancer.

-Folks, you can copy this and post it on your facebook if you like to!

I agree being deaf is "not a toy" or " not an illness"-just a condition. Also, incurable but not the same as "cancer". At the present time there is "no cure for deafness" Whether "lack of hearing" can be classified as a "disability"-contingent on one's "thinking".

How one deals with deafness- learn use ASL et al/Cochlear Implant-if suitable/ignore- one's choice.I have been bilateral deaf since December 20, 2006.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

my friends said I NEVER like the label "hearing-impared" I like the word "Deaf". The question is we can't able to hear, dis-ability meaning not able, am I right

From one of my good friends but I helped him by edited his grammar.

Here.

"Sadly, there are so many D/deaf people is so against our community for many reasons. I see a little to no support from D/deaf people. Show us that you still stand up for the Deaf Culture! Please click "LIKES" if you actually do care *AND* still support our Deaf community. Re-post it to share with your family and friends!"

But I'm kinda of sad that seems only a few friends of mine clicked "likes" on my status... :(

I have 539 friends, so far I only get 7 likes. Two or three of them is hearings. That comment you got from your friend, KarissaMann05 is true.

Another verbal exercise-hearing impaired is now labeled ??????????, The word deaf used to mean unable to hear anything. As I have noted many times- I define deafness as silence from my ongoing real experience. Silence does seem to be the opposite endpoint of hearing.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Another verbal exercise-hearing impaired is now labeled ??????????, The word deaf used to mean unable to hear anything. As I have noted many times- I define deafness as silence from my ongoing real experience. Silence does seem to be the opposite endpoint of hearing.

Try to look at this from a more philosophical view.

"Sadly, there are so many D/deaf people is so against our community for many reasons. I see a little to no support from D/deaf people. Show us that you still stand up for the Deaf Culture! Please click "LIKES" if you actually do care *AND* still support our Deaf community. Re-post it to share with your family and friends!"

Karissa, if you don't mind some comments from the Grammar Maven here, here are some suggestions. The first one is a minor re-write of what you already had.

"Sadly, there are so many D/deaf people who are against our community for many reasons. I see little to no support from D/deaf people. Show us that you still stand up for Deaf Culture! Please click "LIKE" if you actually do care *AND* still support our Deaf community. Re-post to share with your family and friends!"

Note I deleted a few extra words, and corrected some other phrases.

However, I don't really like this statement much. As a whole, it is very confusing. If there are "so many Deaf people against our community," and you see "little to no support from D/eaf" people, why would anyone click "like" to something that, as far as they can see, you admit many Deaf people don't even support?

Generally it's better to state a positive, rather than wail about how many people are not supporting something that you support. The whole thing sounds combative.

So, in the nature of a total re-write, I would try:

"I am Deaf and proud of Deaf Culture. It gives me a sense of belonging, a wonderful circle of friends, and a way to communicate through American Sign Language. Please click "LIKE" if you, hearing or D/eaf, support Deaf Culture and support our Deaf community. Re-post to share with your family and friends!"

More positive in tone, doesn't emphasize that many people don't agree with you, and would be easier for people to "like." Good luck.

I have lots of my facebook is very high 589 pretty almost to,
many people 13 and 1 hearing impaires I am surprised!

Karissa, if you don't mind some comments from the Grammar Maven here, here are some suggestions. The first one is a minor re-write of what you already had.

"Sadly, there are so many D/deaf people who are against our community for many reasons. I see little to no support from D/deaf people. Show us that you still stand up for Deaf Culture! Please click "LIKE" if you actually do care *AND* still support our Deaf community. Re-post to share with your family and friends!"

However, I don't really like this statement much. As a whole, it is very confusing. If there are "so many Deaf people against our community," and you see "little to no support from D/eaf" people, why would anyone click "like" to something that, as far as they can see, you admit many Deaf people don't even support?

Generally it's better to state a positive, rather than wail about how many people are not supporting something that you support. The whole thing sounds combative.

"I am Deaf and proud of Deaf Culture. It gives me a sense of belonging, a wonderful circle of friends, and a way to communicate through American Sign Language. Please click "LIKE" if you, hearing or D/eaf, support Deaf Culture and support our Deaf community. Re-post to share with your family and friends!"

More positive in tone, doesn't emphasize that many people don't agree with you, and would be easier for people to "like." Good luck.

Wow, I don't know that. I'm so sorry that you feel so offended by that comment. But, thanks for your help.

But do you realize that quote ("Being deaf is not a disable. Being deaf is not a broken toy. Being deaf is not an illness. Being deaf cannot be fixed because we are fine. Being deaf is incurable. We don't need a cure for us. We don't need a fix for us. We are normal like you. Please, stop thinking you can fix or cure us as you try to cure an incurable cancer.") sounds like little more of negative tone, right?

For your info, he is not a coat-sugared person type so I don't think he will agree with you, just because you find it so offensive and like to "coat-sugar it" into a positive quote. I happen to agree with him because it is true. From my personal experiences.

EDIT: 8 people clicked "likes" on my status but I looked at his status, he got 25 or so. It seems they do understand what he said...

Gosh, I'm not at all offended! Sorry if it came across that way. Since you mentioned that you had tried to help fix someone else's grammar, just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

But never mind. Of course you don't have to take my editorial suggestions if you don't like it that way.

Ah, good. So never mind what I said earlier. :)

But I really appreciate your help.

Ok. But I think this thread should be moved over to another section. Cause what does it have to do with "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants"?

I am surprised I am proud my sister put for deaf my facebook It is wonderful! amen I am happy my sister support me! I know my sister copy paste write on my wall I am surrprised!

As duly noted many times-deafness/actual is a condition of which how one deals with it-up to YOU.

As duly noted many times-deafness/actual is a condition of which how one deals with it-up to YOU.

That's right. And this is how many of us deal with it.

You do realize, don't you, that unless a Deaf person has asked you for assistance with their writing, it is patronizing and insulting to simply go about correcting their grammar just because you see errors. It really takes a full blown air of superiority to do that to another. Especially when the topic has virtually nothing to do with grammar. You seriously need to stop looking on the surface of everything and start to grasp the deeper message. And stop taking threads off topic with your constant grammar and spelling lessons.

Back