Been referred for a cochlear implant

I actually have the latest criteria for CI testing, so give me a bit and I'll find it. I was tested in 2010 for my other ear but I'm sure the criteria is still current!

You just have to be severe-profound, and score 50% or less on a speech discrimination test. You go through quite a few tests plus CT scan or a MRI to make sure you are a candiate. When I got tested for my right ear, I scored 0% with my hearing aid, so they gave me another test and I got 100% but because it was a forced choice test(a sheet with words on and I had to pick out of four, I was still a candiate because I failed the first test.

What about a profound loss/dead ear in my left ear and a 'severe' loss in my right ear? (The right ear isn't severe-profound - just severe). Given that my operation went horribly wrong, I feel like I should be offered an implant as this shouldn't have happened but im so scared they'll reject me

Yikes! I never quite thought I would be referred for an implant... I was born with a severe hearing loss in both ears and wore hearing aids all my life - I heard well enough to use the telephone depending on who was speaking and speak to most people with relative ease.

Unfortunately, my hearing this year suddenly dropped to profound in one ear (exceeding 100db in one ear and remains severe in the other ear).

Had a speech discrimination test and I scored 40% listening solely with my better ear and 44%-50% bilaterally. (I had 62% speech discrimination with both ears before my hearing dropped).

Am I likely to be offered an implant? given that my better ear still gets benefit from a hearing aid - the other ear is dead and I hear next to nothing with a hearing aid in the ear and listening out of one ear alone with a hearing aid isn't really good enough...

What should I expect being referred for an implant? Xxx

You should expect an improvement in your life at a different level you can expect now. Your life is going to improve in ways you havent thought of. More than just the hearing world will im prove. Your metaphysical struggles will be solved. Peace will finally approach. You will be able to prepare long term. Things become solid and easily prepared. Sounds weird but youll understand. Congratulations! ,,!!!

Back