Been in a relationship with a hearing person

Kick him in the junk. That's a good start.

All kidding aside, I am hearing and my girlfriend is deaf. She's also late deafened like you, but not for the same reasons. I'm sure she'll creep my posts and post in here later.

All it really takes is understanding. I don't need to put earplugs in my ears and try to have a deaf experience to have some kind of understanding. I knew she was deaf the day I met her, and I really didn't care. I understand that sometimes she gets overwhelmed by a lot of sounds or certain sounds or even the lack of hearing. If she gets upset/frustrated, I don't take any of it to heart. I know it's neither of our faults. I try my best to accommodate her, and it's pretty much second nature for me now.

Honestly, it really just depends on the person. I know a lot of deaf people here have been frustrated with dating hearing people etc. There are no problems with being deaf and dating a hearing person. Yes, it's very different, but at the same time in all relationships everyone has their differences from their significant other. I'll never truly understand what it's like to be deaf but at the same time, she'll never truly understand what it's like to be me. My point is, whether or not it's based on hearing, it'll be one thing or another in a relationship.

How long have you been dating for? You should shove your hearing aid in his ear and maybe he'll get a clue as to what it's like. She's put her HA in my ear before, it was an experience to say the least.

If he really wants to be with you for all the right reasons, he'll deal with your hearing situation. I've done it and I'm very happy in my relationship.

I hope that helps a bit.

MY GOD...nothing else needs to be said, drop the mic and walk away, this guy is PREACHIN'!! As a fellow Hearing Person dating a Deaf guy, I COULD NOT have said it any better...Thanks, dude, for real!

MY GOD...nothing else needs to be said, drop the mic and walk away, this guy is PREACHIN'!! As a fellow Hearing Person dating a Deaf guy, I COULD NOT have said it any better...Thanks, dude, for real!

ya, she's pretty good isn't she:) haha Grace you're a preacher lol :p I'm Grace's deaf girlfriend and grace is my girlfriend:giggle:

It just that some people think they live in perfect world where that doesn't happen. Until the disease come up, he or she become crazy and couldn't handle something.

Maybe he worry about have child being same as you. Maybe it's something else.

I had experience when I had relationship with hearing girl. Until later, she make admit she have disability on specs than being deaf, like have back problem or something. That does kind freak me to think about future. I make mistake and I had to learn to accept it no matter what disease you are. Focus on heart who I love, give a support which I am doing right now.

and forget about hearing people...they are a waste of time...

Hello everyone!
I've been losing hearing from age 19 due to Ménière's syndrome + AIED. But nowadays, I'm deaf... When I finally accept my condition my boyfriend is having hard time living with me and he doesn't understand what is like to be deaf (of course not, he's not deaf) and how hard is for me to get used to my hearing aid and the cochlear implant. All the sounds and making me go crazy, it's so overwhelming sometimes... Especially in a family reunion!.
I've tried talking to him and explain to him how hard hearing again is, but nothing happens... He's acting weird...

Any advice or life experience will be accepted :aw:

Hi Jules,

Just a thought, I use quieter than normal program on my CI and found it really helpful if I am overwhelmed and cannot be with out CI such as family gathering etc (my family TALKS for england! and there's always least 20 of them (dad's one of 6).

Ok...

Hope everything had improved for you.

Thanks for the advice I've been doing that and it works! it feels sooo much better!
Hi Jules,

Just a thought, I use quieter than normal program on my CI and found it really helpful if I am overwhelmed and cannot be with out CI such as family gathering etc (my family TALKS for england! and there's always least 20 of them (dad's one of 6).

Ok...

Hope everything had improved for you.

Back