Beatings of autistic woman caught on tape

RedheadGrrl

Premium Member
Reaction score

Four employees of a Uniondale group home repeatedly pummeled a 50-year-old severely autistic woman who cannot speak, and several of the beatings were captured on videotape, police said yesterday.

Two of the employees were arrested and police are seeking two more; all four were fired from the group home.

The management of PLUS Group Home Inc., on Newport Road, had placed a video camera in an air- conditioning vent in the woman's room after the home's executive director noticed suspicious bruises on the resident.

The images show a horrific torrent of violence directed at the woman, who was not identified, but who authorities said is unable to care for herself or express emotions or pain.

From Aug. 9 to Thursday, she was kicked, hit in the head with a wooden clothes hanger and struck with a shoe. Just before midnight Thursday, a health care aide grabbed the woman's hair and shook her head, police said.

The home's management went to Nassau police Friday and presented detectives with the tape. Police arrested two of the employees at the facility; two other suspects were being sought last night.

All four suspects were fired from their jobs, said Terri Cancilla, the group home's executive director, who wouldn't comment on why she waited a week after documenting the first abuse Aug. 9 before contacting police. "She was a handicapped lady," Cancilla said of the victim. "I don't know why they did this."

She added that the staff is well-trained and that the employees involved in this case were "bad apples." She said all staff had been fingerprinted and passed criminal background checks before being hired.

Nelly Gedeon, 20, of 341 California Ave. in Uniondale, was charged with endangering an incompetent person and second-degree harassment. Also charged was Johny Djhon-Felix, 33, of 188-12 Mangin Ave. in St. Albans, Queens. He was charged with endangering an incompetent person, second-degree harassment and fourth-degree larceny, in connection with the camera's theft, police said.

Judge Susan Kluewer ordered Djhon-Felix held on $20,000 bond or $10,000 cash bail at his arraignment yesterday at First District Court in Hempstead. Kluewer ordered Gedeon held on $45,000 bond or $15,000 cash bail. Both entered not guilty pleas.

Police said that last Sunday, Gedeon struck the victim's head several times with a shoe. On Thursday, after hitting the victim several times, Djhon-Felix noticed he was being recorded and disconnected and stole the camera, police said.

But the videotape was not contained within the camera, said Det. Sgt. Michael Williams. Instead, he said, the surveillance was set up with recording equipment elsewhere, so the tape was preserved.

Cancillia said she believes no other residents of the home were mistreated.

Standing outside her home yesterday, Gedeon's mother said her daughter was preparing to begin nursing classes, and said she was shocked to learn from a reporter that her daughter had been arrested.

"My Nelly? My daughter?" said the woman, who declined to give her name. "Nelly's not like that. ... She loves people. She loved that job."

Djhon-Felix's wife, who declined to give her first name, when reached at home, said, "I don't believe it." She added, "I didn't see it. I have to see it myself," referring to the videotape. She said he had worked at the group home for five years.

Poor woman. Glad they were caught on the tape.

Update

Video of autistic woman being abused was reviewed for a week

Video of autistic woman being abused was reviewed for a week

When Terri Cancilla suspected staff members in the group home she runs were abusing an autistic woman who had recently begun sporting bruises, she called a meeting to ask if anyone was hurting her.

"I said, 'We are not going to tolerate abuse,'" Cancilla, executive director of PLUS Group Home Inc., in Uniondale, said yesterday.

Cancilla had noticed suspicious bruises on the woman, who is unable to communicate her needs, and was giving those responsible a chance to come forward. No one did.

Two weeks later, Cancilla installed a camera in an air conditioning vent in the 50-year-old victim's room to catch the perpetrators in the act.

Two of the employees police say were caught on the tape -- Nelly Gedeon, 20, of Uniondale, and Johny Djhon-Felix, 33, of St. Albans, Queens -- were arrested and charged with endangering an incompetent person and second-degree harassment. Djhon-Felix also was charged with fourth-degree larceny for allegedly stealing the camera after he noticed it. The images were stored on other equipment.

Police said yesterday they are trying to find two other employees identified in the images.

The workers were caught over the course of a week. As Cancilla reviewed the recordings each day and saw the abuse, she called the worker responsible and told that person not to come back.

"As soon as it was seen on the film, they were suspended before their next shift," Cancilla said. All four were later fired.

Yesterday, Cancilla defended her decision to wait a week from the first taped assault to contact police.

"We were trying to conduct our investigation to the fullest," she said. "We wanted to make sure we were able to identify everyone involved."

There were four incidents of mistreatment caught on tape from Aug. 9 to Thursday. The images show the victim being kicked, hit in the head with a wooden clothes hanger and struck with a shoe. The tape was handed over to police Friday.

Nassau police Det. Sgt. Michael Williams said yesterday that police involvement would have been difficult without the video.

"The camera was set up to confirm their suspicions," Williams said. "We would have had no way of knowing about this unless someone from within that home or family or a friend visiting notified us, which is not the case."

Cancilla said the victim's family is happy with the measures taken.

"The mother is satisfied that the workers were arrested," Cancilla said.

The home, which houses 10 residents, has been open since 1986, Cancilla said.

This is absolutely horrible! I do hope that all concerned are severely punished.

I am glad they arrested and fired the employees who did that to this handicapped woman. Poor woman... she don't deserve this.

After readin' this article, I feel that these 4 employees don't like their job there. If, they don't like their job .. then, why don't they ask for resign and find elsewhere ? It would save them from hittin' this woman or they will be arrested for hittin'/beatin'.

That's smart move for puttin' a camera in air-conditionin' vent. That's the only way to prove for evidence ( for court ). :)

Oh yes!! but after I re-read it. She waited till 2 weeks later to put the camera in Air-conditioning vent. Why wait too long? That puzzled me.

Oh yes!! but after I re-read it. She waited till 2 weeks later to put the camera in Air-conditioning vent. Why wait too long? That puzzled me.

Probably because they knew the autistic woman couldn't tell anyone what was going on or how long they waited to do something about it. Waiting 2 weeks to do something when you suspect that a handicapped person is being abused is just plain wrong. She is guilty of neglecting her duty to protect the people in her care.

wow thats not right of those who mistreated the austitic lady.. im glad 4 persons were arrested.. now the lady will be ok... poor lady.. she doesnt deserve it... :(

Well, it's good to know that no one else was abused like that, but I still feel so sorry for that poor woman.

No one deserves to be treated like that. It's sad. It isnt fair for this person to be treated this way! They were treating her very bad. That is absolutely horrible. Glad someone did do something before they kill her. They are sick.
Get these people locked up. I wonder if humanity is dead. Life has been unfair with her but people around her should not cause her more misery.

I agree with you jillio and platecafe!! No one treat like that!! for what reason?? They are just human being. sigh

Not shocked cause I've heard of worst things being done to any and everybody. But what does bother me is how people can even bring themselves to do such thing.

applaud executive director did a good job for being suspect four of them abuse autistic woman elder. Here again bravo executive director.

This is really sad but I think it's probably just the tip of the ice berg. Things like this do happen all the time but the poor victims can't report it. :pissed:

What a cruel! I hope that Austic woman is ok. And 6 others go jail what they did to her! GRR!

Back