Baker paid damages award

I live in university housing with mostly Muslim students and they can't eat food from cafeteria and for me, I have medical condition that I can't eat at cafeteria. I cooked and baked pork and ham and they don't bother me at all, they respect my boundary.

The pork products are against Islam, same goes with Judaism and they ask for special diet, not eliminate the pork for everyone. I don't share my food with them. Hindi cannot eat beef, anyway.
Those on campus have to be civil, maybe ask what if you went to their community and asked someone? Maybe they will give you an insight, they probly dont eat the food there because pork is served there and its against their ways?? Anyways, thats why those here dont eat anywhere but at places they run, local businesses like in our Bevo Mill area... its amazing for those who start a business and community. They get along with everyone fairly well, but trying to push their own laws in the area like they control the whole area and the city bumps heads with them. They think they can build outdoor smoke houses to cook food to serve without permits and all that but the USDA, FDA and others cracked down on them to get proper licenses and permits to do so... but they are learning this isnt a desert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevo_Mill,_St._Louis

Those on campus have to be civil, maybe ask what if you went to their community and asked someone? Maybe they will give you an insight, they probly dont eat the food there because pork is served there and its against their ways?? Anyways, thats why those here dont eat anywhere but at places they run, local businesses like in our Bevo Mill area... its amazing for those who start a business and community. They get along with everyone fairly well, but trying to push their own laws in the area like they control the whole area and the city bumps heads with them. They think they can build outdoor smoke houses to cook food to serve without permits and all that but the USDA, FDA and others cracked down on them to get proper licenses and permits to do so... but they are learning this isnt a desert.

I asked them and they said it is my decision so they didn't complain when I prepared the pork but had to cook separately. Gallaudet isn't very civil, IMO and I have a lot of problem with younger, immature students outside of university housing, that's not dorm. I tried halal food and it was delicious - they prepared chicken with rice.

FYI, I'm not into oppression and I respect their culture. Most Muslim people aren't issue, except anyone who associated with extremists or ultra conservatives - that's no difference from right wing extremists or ultra conservative baptists or catholics who judge on us.

I asked them and they said it is my decision so they didn't complain when I prepared the pork but had to cook separately. Gallaudet isn't very civil, IMO and I have a lot of problem with younger, immature students outside of university housing, that's not dorm. I tried halal food and it was delicious - they prepared chicken with rice.

FYI, I'm not into oppression and I respect their culture. Most Muslim people aren't issue, except anyone who associated with extremists or ultra conservatives - that's no difference from right wing extremists or ultra conservative baptists or catholics who judge on us.
I never said disrespect them, Im just saying, the hardcore older ones will basically condem you, probly beat you in the streets...lol they younger ones are being more rebel.... you know how kids are, want to be different.

a simple solution for Muslim people.... don't eat pork!

a simple solution for Muslim people.... don't eat pork!
Well normally they dont...lmao
but the newer generation are eating it anyways, says it tastes good ( and it is) but their older generations are highly against it. Its like a family disgrace to them and some will disown their own family over it.

I never said disrespect them, Im just saying, the hardcore older ones will basically condem you, probly beat you in the streets...lol they younger ones are being more rebel.... you know how kids are, want to be different.

Yes, older are more religious than younger.

Oddly, most ISIS are young men but dangerously religious.

Well normally they dont...lmao
but the newer generation are eating it anyways, says it tastes good ( and it is) but their older generations are highly against it. Its like a family disgrace to them and some will disown their own family over it.

lol... same goes with religious families - they disown gay/lesbian/bisexual from family and they end up to became homeless.

Here is a question
How are gays treated in islamic nations? How does islam an authoritarian religion treat gays?

Its hardly a small al qeada or isis sect.

Lets take an honest hard look at how gays are treated under sharia and in islamic states.

Its not a preety picture
Anyone who supports freedom and gay rights shouldnt be ignoring this blunt and hard.truth.

Here is a question
How are gays treated in islamic nations? How does islam an authoritarian religion treat gays?

Its hardly a small al qeada or isis sect.

Lets take an honest hard look at how gays are treated under sharia and in islamic states.

Its not a preety picture
Anyone who supports freedom and gay rights shouldnt be ignoring this blunt and hard.truth.
very well said point.

May or may not - Kleins may qualify for First Amendment protection.

As I'm bisexual guy, I don't believe that religious people should forced to make a cake for gay marriage that object to their religion and it make dangerous political stunt between religious organizations and LGBT organizations.

I'm not going to spend my money to anti-gay businesses and you are letting anti-gay businesses to win and getting a lot of national attention, such as fundraising websites.

Please let anti-gay businesses go and don't bug them off because they love to get attention to make us embarrassed.
Well, the labor law says differently. All businesses must treat customers equally whether they are Gay, Deaf, Muslim, Jew, Black or disabled persons with a guiding dog. Those businesses have a right not to serve a customer for a good reason like a customer with a bad attitude.

Well, the labor law says differently. All businesses must treat customers equally whether they are Gay, Deaf, Muslim, Jew, Black or disabled persons with a guiding dog. Those businesses have a right not to serve a customer for a good reason like a customer with a bad attitude.
Labor laws are for the protection of employees, and employee-employer relationships. They have nothing to do with how business owners serve or don't serve customers.

Labor laws are for the protection of employees, and employee-employer relationships. They have nothing to do with how business owners serve or don't serve customers.

The Oregon bakery owners who ignited a national controversy by refusing to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple on Monday quietly paid a state-ordered $135,000 damages award and then some.
Aaron Klein, co-owner of the shuttered Sweet Cakes by Melissa, walked into the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries' Portland office and handed over a check for $136,927.07, an amount including accrued interest, agency spokesman Charlie Burr said.
Earlier this month, the labor bureau recovered nearly $7,000 additional funds from the Kleins with the help of the state Department of Justice and a private collections agency, Burr said. The money came from a garnished bank account, he said.
Aaron and Melissa Klein had refused to pay damages of $135,000 to Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer, claiming financial hardship despite three online fundraising accounts set up by supporters that netted them at least $515,000 as of late September. Their reversal of course was first reported by Willamette Week.
On July 2, Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian ordered the Kleins to pay damages for emotional and mental suffering, saying they had violated the women's civil rights by discriminating on the basis of their sexual orientation.
Rachel Bowman-Cryer visited the Gresham bakery with her mother in January 2013 to order a cake for a civil commitment ceremony. Aaron Klein, working alone that day, turned her away, citing his Christian beliefs against same-sex marriage.
The women filed complaints with the state, triggering a national debate over the Kleins' claims of religious freedom in the face of anti-discrimination laws that require Oregon businesses to serve the public equally.
Tyler Smith, a Canby attorney representing the Kleins, said payment of the debt does not mean his clients have abandoned their appeal of Avakian's order. The Oregon Court of Appeals is likely to hear arguments next year but Smith said it made sense to pay now while the case is pending rather than incur additional interest charges.
The bureau "was attempting to charge interest rates of 9 percent, equating to $35 a day, and seeking to garnish any assets of the Kleins so they couldn't earn interest on the money that had been donated to them," Smith said. "The prudent thing to do, given the generosity of people who have contributed funds, was to take care of it and continue the fight."
Through their lawyers, the Kleins twice asked Avakian for a stay to delay enforcement of his order while the Court of Appeals considers their case. The commissioner rejected the requests on July 14 and again July 24, citing the amounts raised for the Kleins from crowdfunding sites. State officials subsequently went to court to establish their right to place a property lien or other assets belonging to the couple.
"We certainly wish (the bureau) would have stayed collections efforts during the course of the appeal," Smith said.
Altogether, the state has received roughly $144,000 from the Kleins – an amount that Burr acknowledged might be in excess of what was owed as of Monday, Dec. 28.
"We have been in touch with their lawyers throughout the process," Burr said, providing them with exact amounts due to satisfy the debt. The figure has changed from day to day because of accruing interest.
If the Kleins have overpaid, the agency will look at returning the difference, Burr said. The Kleins closed their Gresham bakery in 2013 and now operate out of their home in Sandy.
Paul Thompson, a Portland lawyer representing the Bowman-Cryers, said, "My clients are happy the Kleins paid the fine and are moving forward, and hope to see the ruling upheld on appeal."
-- George Rede
It mentioned "labor" three times so I assumed labor law. If it's not a labor law, then it's an anti-discrimination law.

anti-discrimination laws that require Oregon businesses to serve the public equally.
Thanks for the correction, ma'am.

It won't change anything if you want force anti-gay business to make gay cake for you so they throw $$$ to anti-gay organization.

That's part of common sense to find gay friendly business.

I was about going to claim the Supreme Court but after Scalia passed away, the court balance changed.

Yes, you are correct about that - anti-discrimination laws protect employees, also it could protect the customers under public accommodation, but it don't let them to get anything that they want like gay wedding.

This bakery is likely to approve the cake for Happy Birthday but they won't approve the gay cake for wedding, it is more like product availability.

I was about going to claim the Supreme Court but after Scalia passed away, the court balance changed.

Yes, you are correct about that - anti-discrimination laws protect employees, also it could protect the customers under public accommodation, but it don't let them to get anything that they want like gay wedding.

This bakery is likely to approve the cake for Happy Birthday but they won't approve the gay cake for wedding, it is more like product availability.
What? No, it's not because of product availability. They don't approve gay marriages. That's why they refused to make a cake for the lesbians. They can't do that since they are required to treat the public equally as per Oregon law, no matter what. In other words, they violated the law. End of discussion.

What? No, it's not because of product availability. They don't approve gay marriages. That's why they refused to make a cake for the lesbians. They can't do that since they are required to treat the public equally as per Oregon law, no matter what. In other words, they violated the law. End of discussion.
The customers weren't refused service--they could have bought cookies, birthday cakes or cupcakes. They just couldn't buy a same-sex wedding cake because that baker didn't make that product. The reason that baker didn't make that product was religious. If the baker was consistent, their shop wouldn't provide cakes for other religious reasons. I don't know if they did or didn't.

Sorry, that's not end of discussion and the ruling could be reverse at Supreme Court (state or federal).

This bakery is evangelical Christian and they notoriously denounce the gay marriage so they don't offer gay wedding cake as not available under product availability.

OK, for example, if I was a KKK member owning a bakery, when I see black people coming in, I kick them out because I have a 1st Amendment right. "I don't like black people so I have rights not to serve them." ? It is not working. Anti-discrimination laws beat a 1st Amendment right. Once you run a business, follow business laws by your state. In other words, the Christian bakers didn't follow the Oregon law so they have to pay for damages.

Remember a CEO of Chick-fil-A announced that he doesn't support gay marriages and yet married gay people can still order food there due to the law protecting all kind of people.

Last edited:
Back