BAHA - Painful?

ExR

Reaction score
I had a BAHA in the mid 90s when I was about 8 years old. I recall inserting/removing the aid to be very uncomfortable. The thought of it still makes me cringe even 25 years later. As a child, I remember feeling a sense of relief when the abutment literally fell out of my head less than a year after the op.

Unfortunately the reasons why I needed a BAHA in the first place still remain, so I'm still pondering about the prospect of having one again. My audiologist tells me technology has advanced a lot since then but I don't trust them simply because they don't wear one! Are they still uncomfortable or has this improved?

I saw the BAHA Sound Arc on Youtube which looks kinda neat but the articles I've read seem to suggest its only suitable for demo use - Any reason why it can't be used as a long term solution?

Would be interested to hear your views

Cheers

Well, I guess it depends on the severity of your hearing loss and if BAHA would be a better mean of assistance as opposed to CI. I've had BAHA since 2009 and I feel as if the technology didn't provide as powerful enough support as the previous model. For example, the processor I had in 2009 I felt was much more effective than the processor I have now. But it's definitely something to discuss with an audiologist and an ENT — ear, nose, throat — doctor.

Best of luck! :)

Back