Bad News:

Hey sorry to hear about your dad...glad to hear he's out of hospital....

Will keep him in my prayers....:)

Update:

I went to visited the place where my dad is at, it's a skilled nursing and rehabilitation unit and he seems to be very happy there, he has been smiling so much. He has his own private room also. He's been in speech, physical and occupational therapies. The speech therapist is trying to get dad to swallow. We are suppose to have a meeting to address dad's needs and goals this week with the staffs at the nursing unit. Our primary goal is to restoring independence in dad's quality of life. :)

Good news he is happy CHeri. THat counts a lot toward recovery. Tell your dad to hang in there.

I'm glad that your dad's situation is improving in the new environment. :)

Oh and update about the dogs:

Both dogs came to visited dad, The therapist said it will be a great exercise for dad's recovery because visits from his dogs would help dad get better faster. He seems to want to exercise more after the visit with his dogs. Not kidding.

One of his dogs has scratched my dad on the arm, it was a pretty bad scratched, the dog were SO excited to see dad, they were jumping all over him. lol

I went to visited the place where my dad is at, it's a skilled nursing and rehabilitation unit and he seems to be very happy there, he has been smiling so much. He has his own private room also. He's been in speech, physical and occupational therapies. The speech therapist is trying to get dad to swallow. We are suppose to have a meeting to address dad's needs and goals this week with the staffs at the nursing unit. Our primary goal is to restoring independence in dad's quality of life. :)

that great and no roommates?

It appears the dogs are getting close to your dad.

I'm glad that your dad's situation is improving in the new environment. :)

He is doing so much better, he's so much different than he was last two weeks ago. I have not seen dad talks and talks this much before, and now that he talks more, thinking more clearly and smiles much more, it is just so amazing. It is all because of being in therapies frequently and having a good team support.

I think this place he's at now is the better choice for dad we feel comfortable, the last hospital he was at, they kept moving him out of rehab to different floors and keep taking him off of medicines. He had so much trouble there, he acted differently and he wasn't happy. :)

He is doing so much better, he's so much different than he was last two weeks ago. I have not seen dad talks and talks this much before, and now that he talks more, thinking more clearly and smiles much more, it is just so amazing. It is all because of being in therapies frequently and having a good team support.

I think this place he's at now is the better choice for dad we feel comfortable, the last hospital he was at, they kept moving him out of rehab to different floors and keep taking him off of medicines. He had so much trouble there, he acted differently and he wasn't happy. :)
It's like I said, the goals and focus of a hospital are not the same as those of a therapeutic rehabilitation facility.

I'm very glad that your family found a good place for your dad where he can continue to improve, and where he can feel comfortable.

"Nursing homes" are sooooo different now. :)

Update:

I received a frighten phone call today at work that my dad was rushed to the hospital because he didn't wake up, I left work and arrived to the hospital where they had took my dad at. They thought he had hit another stroke, but he didn't. Everything is fine, all the test results came back normal. He was sent back to the nursing and rehab unit by the ambulance.

I was searching through different Rehabilitation centers across different states and a rehab in Lincoln, NE have a "Electrical Stimulation" it's a technology device that improves muscles and nerves to keep them active since the paralysis side of the body is unable to do it on it's own and the place where my dad is at doesn't offer this technology. I'm hoping that my mom will be able to get it for dad, somehow. I've heard some good feedback's on this technology how it works wonder for stroke patients who are one side paralysis. They also have the arm electrical stimulation too which would help them grasp and releasing objects. I believe this would help my dad.

That had to be very scary. I am glad to hear there wasn't anything extra wrong with him.

That had to be very scary. I am glad to hear there wasn't anything extra wrong with him.

Yea it was, I freaked out and start bawling all the way to the emergency room. I was thinking the worst, but I'm so grateful that nothing was wrong. Thanks God!

:shock: Whoa, Cheri..... I just recently joined and hadn't come across this thread until tonight. I hate to say that it was such a page-turner, so please forgive for saying that. Your dad will definitely be in my thoughts and I will be checking back on this thread for further news.

Four years ago, when I was 33 (less than a month before my 34th birthday), I ended up with a brain lesion. I was a medical mystery for months before I was diagnosed with a stroke. Docs haven't found out why I had my stroke. My heart had been closely looked at and it's fine, hence the nickname of Firebrand Strongheart. That's what my mom called me as I was still swimming from the sedatives of the trans-esophageal echocardiogram. I barely remember it, but it got burnt into my memory.

At first, they thought I had M.S. or lupus. After the 5th MRI scan, the brain lesion shrank and reveal a stroke. The thing is, I'm not even sure if that's the correct diagnosis as there are stroke-imitation conditions out there. I have this doubt because strokes don't cause brain lesions. I know this through my research. I studied biology for a year and a half at Purdue University. I couldn't continue on the investigative part because of the out-of-pocket expenses were killing us (my hubby and I).

I'm very glad that he is getting psychological/medical therapy for the stress and depression. I know this has been a horribly scary journey for your dad to go through. Believe me, this leaves a mark in the mind. I have had a long history with depression. Of course, the event messed up my brain chemistry enough to render my medication ineffective and we had to find another medication to treat my depression.

Doctors don't know him at all. You are right to fight for your dad's recovery. I was able to recover almost 100%. I had been paralyzed on my left side at first. I had coordination issues as well as balance issues. It was months before I was able to get it all back. The brain damage has left me with vertigo attacks that I have to take Neurontin to prevent them. It prevents most of them.

Now, I'm 38. I never had physical therapy because the therapists were quite impressed with how I've been working on myself in getting my strength back. Besides, my Frenchie-Pug dog was a great physical therapist to me. He loves rough-housing and tug-of-war, which helped me a lot.

Of course, I still have dreams about going through the neurological event and medical treatments. Those dreams are so bizarre. The stroke/event changed everything, even my perception of my reality. I can understand the frustration your dad has gone through. I am so glad that you found a great place for your dad. It seems that the people there really care.

Oh, I almost forgot.... I had a horrible time with waking up. I would have two alarms and I would have no memory of ignoring/turning it off. I have 3 cats, which 2 of them would try to wake me up. My husband had a hard time waking me up. I would sort of wake up, but fall right back to sleep. I believed that this problem was mainly from the depression. I still have a bit of that problem, but it's much better now. I don't know if that's from the stroke/event or the leftover effects of depression or the meds that I take. Could be all above. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

I wish you, your dad, and your family the best, Cheri. I hope I didn't hijack your thread......:eek3:

I received a frighten phone call today at work that my dad was rushed to the hospital because he didn't wake up, I left work and arrived to the hospital where they had took my dad at. They thought he had hit another stroke, but he didn't. Everything is fine, all the test results came back normal. He was sent back to the nursing and rehab unit by the ambulance.

I was searching through different Rehabilitation centers across different states and a rehab in Lincoln, NE have a "Electrical Stimulation" it's a technology device that improves muscles and nerves to keep them active since the paralysis side of the body is unable to do it on it's own and the place where my dad is at doesn't offer this technology. I'm hoping that my mom will be able to get it for dad, somehow. I've heard some good feedback's on this technology how it works wonder for stroke patients who are one side paralysis. They also have the arm electrical stimulation too which would help them grasp and releasing objects. I believe this would help my dad.

that scary!! im hope your dad will be ok

:shock: Whoa, Cheri..... I just recently joined and hadn't come across this thread until tonight. I hate to say that it was such a page-turner, so please forgive for saying that. Your dad will definitely be in my thoughts and I will be checking back on this thread for further news.

Four years ago, when I was 33 (less than a month before my 34th birthday), I ended up with a brain lesion. I was a medical mystery for months before I was diagnosed with a stroke. Docs haven't found out why I had my stroke. My heart had been closely looked at and it's fine, hence the nickname of Firebrand Strongheart. That's what my mom called me as I was still swimming from the sedatives of the trans-esophageal echocardiogram. I barely remember it, but it got burnt into my memory.

At first, they thought I had M.S. or lupus. After the 5th MRI scan, the brain lesion shrank and reveal a stroke. The thing is, I'm not even sure if that's the correct diagnosis as there are stroke-imitation conditions out there. I have this doubt because strokes don't cause brain lesions. I know this through my research. I studied biology for a year and a half at Purdue University. I couldn't continue on the investigative part because of the out-of-pocket expenses were killing us (my hubby and I).

I'm very glad that he is getting psychological/medical therapy for the stress and depression. I know this has been a horribly scary journey for your dad to go through. Believe me, this leaves a mark in the mind. I have had a long history with depression. Of course, the event messed up my brain chemistry enough to render my medication ineffective and we had to find another medication to treat my depression.

Doctors don't know him at all. You are right to fight for your dad's recovery. I was able to recover almost 100%. I had been paralyzed on my left side at first. I had coordination issues as well as balance issues. It was months before I was able to get it all back. The brain damage has left me with vertigo attacks that I have to take Neurontin to prevent them. It prevents most of them.

Now, I'm 38. I never had physical therapy because the therapists were quite impressed with how I've been working on myself in getting my strength back. Besides, my Frenchie-Pug dog was a great physical therapist to me. He loves rough-housing and tug-of-war, which helped me a lot.

Of course, I still have dreams about going through the neurological event and medical treatments. Those dreams are so bizarre. The stroke/event changed everything, even my perception of my reality. I can understand the frustration your dad has gone through. I am so glad that you found a great place for your dad. It seems that the people there really care.

Oh, I almost forgot.... I had a horrible time with waking up. I would have two alarms and I would have no memory of ignoring/turning it off. I have 3 cats, which 2 of them would try to wake me up. My husband had a hard time waking me up. I would sort of wake up, but fall right back to sleep. I believed that this problem was mainly from the depression. I still have a bit of that problem, but it's much better now. I don't know if that's from the stroke/event or the leftover effects of depression or the meds that I take. Could be all above. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

I wish you, your dad, and your family the best, Cheri. I hope I didn't hijack your thread......:eek3:

Firebrand,

Wow your story makes me surprise!!

When i was 12 years old i cant remind everything and my old supervisor at Kansas School for the Deaf found out at me i had sezuire and nurse from infirmary in KSD called my mom about me and going Dr makes sure im ok..

And my mom comes for night of my EEG makes sure im ok that no laugh matter but my mom tell me dont going bed but must stay late night whether times im so tired wait..But im still going that all the times.

Im using medicine every morning and night all the times

When i was 18 years old i got sezuire in Texas when i stay at my aunt's house i cant remind and i want mom!! And my mom come tell me says "are you ok?" i says yes.

So the doctor give me called sub topamax for protect sezuire and i try for that and its work out..

I had horrible get wakeup i cant remind that dream and got little sezuire but my mom embrace me and cry.

Cheri,

Wow, that was quite a scare but I'm glad your dad is OK now.

Firebrand,

Thanks for the encouraging testimonial. :)

Back