Back in the day!!!!!!!

Ms.Burton

Reaction score
Hey all and God Bless, i have had a high energy morning with no where to go, :lol: soo i started to think about my day. People rushing by fast, some scared to make eye contact, some scared to make conversation. Made me miss being a kid like back in the day, connecting was easy, smile, nod, wave, and everyone no matter what they were who they were was ready to play.
i kinda feel that connecting is soo simple for our adult minds, that it becomes complicated... dag this is turning into a blog, i guess i just miss people:ty: thanks for reading if you feel the same you know what to do:wave:
God Bless

Well, I am happy that you are happy in your childhood and later in life. (I don't know if that is what you are referring to the back day episode.) :lol:

For me, it is not always simple as being a Deafie trying to live in a hearing world especially lived in the city. I was used to live in the bush (forest) when I was a kid and felt so happy with nature and being by myself, but not always as I got lonesome too. It was hard to understand my parents, one sister and my extended families when they came over to visit us in the forest, especially my cousins. We tried to use home made hand signs just a little, even though I tried to read lips on them. Most happy days were being at the lake, swimming and boating plus fishing with my cousins or without them. I loved to sit on the rock in the bush reading my favorite books and just sit there listening in my brain by seeing nature surrounding me. I loved it. Yes, those were the good old back days. :D

Thank you for stopping by and sharing i never been fishing before it seems wonderful i love swimming, i have a question, How would you encourage a deaf child growing up in a hearing community, and what would you want the hearing community to know about the deaf community
God Bless :wave:
Well, I am happy that you are happy in your
childhood and later in life. (I don't know if that is what you are referring to the back day episode.) :lol:

For me, it is not always simple as being a Deafie trying to live in a hearing world especially lived in the city. I was used to live in the bush (forest) when I was a kid and felt so happy with nature and being by myself, but not always as I got lonesome too. It was hard to understand my parents, one sister and my extended families when they came over to visit us in the forest, especially my cousins. We tried to use home made hand signs just a little, even though I tried to read lips on them. Most happy days were being at the lake, swimming and boating plus fishing with my cousins or without them. I loved to sit on the rock in the bush reading my favorite books and just sit there listening in my brain by seeing nature surrounding me. I loved it. Yes, those were the good old back days. :D

Thank you for stopping by and sharing i never been fishing before it seems wonderful i love swimming, i have a question, How would you encourage a deaf child growing up in a hearing community, and what would you want the hearing community to know about the deaf community
God Bless :wave:

Pretty much a lot of hearing parents and authorities want them to talk (speech therapy) and learn to read lips, but a lot of times we miss out everything that the hearing people are saying so it is best we use ASL better than trying to understand orally in the classrooms. Always listen to the deaf child if he does not understand what hearing people say without sign language. It is not wise to force the deaf child into trying to learn how to speak plus listening (listening is impossible unless if it is the hard of hearing who have mild hearing loss). If he or she can handle understanding what is going on without sign language, then it is fine.

For the Deaf communities, we had tried to tell many hearing parents and authorities that we want to use ASL whether we get interpreters and have both parents and authorities sign with us. There are some hearing people who can sign in the Deaf social and Deaf communities but a lot of other hearing people refuse to listen to us and it has been like that over and over for many years (centuries). It has never change as it gets old trying to explain to the hearing people what we have experience in our deafness. It seem like the hearing people don't believe us and thought we can talk and read lips really well. Also they think that we can hear with the hearing aid or CI (Cochlear Implant) really well which it is not true at all. The hearing aids and Cochlear Implant are just tools for us to hear sounds but not clear enough for us to understand. The hearing people never give up and let it go.

That is why ASL rocks for us, Deafies and Hard of Hearing. :rockon:

Pretty much a lot of hearing parents and authorities want them to talk (speech therapy) and learn to read lips, but a lot of times we miss out everything that the hearing people are saying so it is best we use ASL better than trying to understand orally in the classrooms. Always listen to the deaf child if he does not understand what hearing people say without sign language. It is not wise to force the deaf child into trying to learn how to speak plus listening (listening is impossible unless if it is the hard of hearing who have mild hearing loss). If he or she can handle understanding what is going on without sign language, then it is fine.

For the Deaf communities, we had tried to tell many hearing parents and authorities that we want to use ASL whether we get interpreters and have both parents and authorities sign with us. There are some hearing people who can sign in the Deaf social and Deaf communities but a lot of other hearing people refuse to listen to us and it has been like that over and over for many years (centuries). It has never change as it gets old trying to explain to the hearing people what we have experience in our deafness. It seem like the hearing people don't believe us and thought we can talk and read lips really well. Also they think that we can hear with the hearing aid or CI (Cochlear Implant) really well which it is not true at all. The hearing aids and Cochlear Implant are just tools for us to hear sounds but not clear enough for us to understand. The hearing people never give up and let it go.

:gpost:

Bebonang,

At the same time, to be equally pragmatic, with my hearing aids on and listening to some deaf people trying to speak, my dog speaks more clearly. That is meant to be a slam and an embarrassment to deaf who think that they can do what they want and to h*** with everyone else. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

As for speech, let me ask you this, Bebonang, using only asl, do you think that the world owes you a living and everyone should speak to you in asl (including voice off)?

There are some proud oral only deafies, and I actually read comments that familiar to yours, Pek... They felt these deaf people are better off ASL because their speech is horrible.

deafgal001,

Speech can always be improved, no matter how a person sounds. Kill the people with kindness (they wouldn't know the difference). Honey attracks bees, whereas vinegar doesn't.

Back