Back from work!

xsuperchick

Reaction score
Hey, guys!

Remember I told you I was going to start working at a supermarket? (pastry section) Well, I started a week ago and now I'm feeling really bad about it. Let me tell you why and then, hopefully get your advices! I'll really appreciate them.

Well, I start working at 2 pm everyday, I have to be there at 1:30 pm to change my clothes.

I do like my job, I get tired, of course, I work 8 hours!! But it's good, I enjoy it.

Here's the problem:

I have 3 co-workers now at my section, 2 of them are really annoying! They want me to wash all the dishes, to select the olives, to clean the containers, to sweep, to clean the tables... and they don't do anything!!! The other girl is very friendly with me and told me that those girls do the same all the time with newbies and that I shouldn't let them do that to me, and of course, I told everything to my mom and she thinks the same, she actually told me that if I don't want to work anymore, it's ok, we can find something else.

I'm looking forward to talk to my boss and ask him if I can change my schedule (as you can read my signature) because I have to stay at work until 11:45 pm to clean everything! It's too much, I cut my fingers a lot of times fixing the ice-creams and when you're washing the dishes, the coffee maker is on so you feel the electricity and makes you scream like a freak! (I don't know how to explain it in English)

Then, there's another girl, from other section who looks at me very bad! I don't know what's wrong with her! I feel very uncomfortable around here. I mean... her body language is so obvious! For example, at my break time yesterday, I brought an apple to work, so I went toward the table and she was there, talking with her friends (and co-workers) so I asked her "please, can I sit?" and she move and she turned and show me her back. So, I had to be alone at my break time... like everyday! Then, at the bathroom, where we all have to change our clothes, happens the same thing! And today... a friend of mine went to visit me at my break time and I was talking to her in sign language and this girl ("Heili") looked at me really bad! Like I was a freak or something...

I have a strong character, but I don't want to fight with anyone! I don't mean I want to be hugging everyone but neither fighting :(

I was very excited about my first job, but now... I feel that if my boss can't change my schedule, I'll have to quit. I don't like them to treat me as their slave and I don't like to be around mean people.

So please, guys, help me -again-! What should I do to make my work environment become friendly with newbies like me? (I'm the only one I think) They all laugh, listen music out loud and tell jokes and I feel lost around them =/

Being around mean people can be bad for your health unless you can really handle all that negative energy being directed at you. It's not worth it if it affects your off-hours. Like dreading and having anxiety about going to work before you actually go to work. If it's a negative environment, I'd either have my schedule changed or look for another employment. I know how you feel. My first job was a summer job at a cafeteria at the V.A. hospital. They had me doing dangerous stuff, like transporting food to the violent patients in the locked psych ward. I was soooo scared. I should have quit then, but I stuck it out. Fortunately, I didn't have to transfer food to the locked ward again, thank god. Don't get me wrong. I've been a patient in psych wards before, but this one was bad.

This is a sad thing

People can be really wrong. The coffee machine is a genuine lifethreatening hazard and should be fixed. Sometimes a good way to leave is to request an improvement like getting that thing fixed and go out with pride if they do not fix it. Sounds like a negative work environment to me. You have reached out and been snubbed and that hurts like hell. So to hell with them and be self sufficient they do not sound like people you want to be a part of anyway. If you are working your 8 hrs. then you are being a good employee that is all, if they are not and you are well that is their problem not yours. Negative work environments generally stay that way no matter what you do so it is up to you to either accept that and just work with it, quit, or experiment and see what happens.

Starting a new job can sometimes be really tough. I remember about 10 years ago my wife got a job. At the start she came home crying every day cause she was so upset with similar situations like the ones you described. But she stuck with it and it became the best job she ever had. As time went by she became more confident there, some of the nasty people moved departments or left. She made some friends and soon the nice co-workers outnumbered the mean co-workers. I don't know how things will work out for you but if you are prepared to make friends with the nice people there and are tough enough not to let the rotten ones take advantage of you the you will stand a much better chance turning things around. Good luck!

Lousy employees usually don't last long, except if they are relatives to the boss or corporation managements.

I have seen people come and go, even at my current job. The longer one stay, they will see people do come and go. I wouldn't give up, nor fight back. Just do it, the more I just do it, the employer recongize and opens up the door for me. Did it happen to me? Took me a year and half to prove them before I was promoted. Oh yes, some are faster some are slower but will happen.

Right now, I am around the corner of another potential promotion. One thing for sure that I know of, there is no guarantees that I would promote again.

Attitude is everything, if I show stinky attitude to my boss and management, then I would be stuck forever. I have been there 20 years ago, and wondering why I was struggling. However if I show positive attitude even though it is real hard I do get positive result in the end. My experience proves it.

Been there, done that. Some people does that to new workers or because we are different. I am the type that can not stand any situation like this. After few days, I noticed I was being used by taking on co-workers duties, I rejected them and told them it is yours to manage, not mine because I have mine. I didn't care because if they have problem, they can go ahead and cry to the manager because I was not told to do that or this. It never happened. They realized I am not stupid. Some people are stubborn and try to keep me at it, I decided to talk to my super and asked my super about my duties. My super puzzled at some duties, and got real angry with the co-workers, so the super took care of it. After few weeks I ended up training new workers instead of the ones that trained me. I can not stand people using me because I can turn it around against them but you have to be real careful of who you are up against.

The way you say things about your job, it is not right, you have rights to file complaint or inform the super about it and see what is going to happen next. Be careful the super and the co-workers will keep their eyes on you... just play their (co-workers) game and turn it around. If you do not want to risk that, and things gets worse. Just bear it or get other job. If I were you, I will report it and look for other job in the process until the situation gets better or for worse then you will have decision ready to be made.

Thanks for your advices, guys!

Got another problem last night, this was worst. One of the mean girls (Patricia) didn't wash the dishes and told the super I said she had to, but I didn't! I didn't say anything at all about her and I told that to our supervisor, then she laughed! Aaahh I was so angry with everybody (because they know the problem and didn't support the fair part, that would be me!) so I stopped talking and if they need my help I signed to them. They were confused like I was with that situation. And today, I had a meeting at 9 am, but I couldn't go because I felt sick since last night! :(

I talked to my sisters about "Heili" (that's her name, should be Hailey but... who knows!) and they gave me some advices. I haven't seen her yesterday, it was so much better.

I'm going to talk to my boss today! As soon as she arrives, I'll tell her that I can handle anymore working with that girl (Patricia) she treats me really bad and I haven't done anything to her! If my boss can't change my schedule or my section, I'll quit.

When I was sweeping, I felt so terrible :( I start crying but no one noticed me because I were a facemask (like doctors)

I hate my job! I'll make some poltergeist!

Sorry about your situation. Guess it wasnt new to the super. Try your best and Good luck. Try to be positive and strong.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation, Xsuperchick. I have been there, and done that. It happened to me years ago, which I will never forget. I was harrassed by former co-workers. So, I quit and found a job. Same thing. I got another job, which I was happy with.
Now, I am laid off. *I am sad*
I think it is called Hostile Work Environment! This has to be stopped!!!

I don't have any idea why that kind of things happen! I'm working, I'm not trying to get enemies. I told that to my supervisor, but she does nothing! She supports Patricia =/ Maybe because they already know each other, right?

Oh, man. I just read this.

I used to work when I was totally deaf (not with a CI) and it was hard. I just used to be as positive as possible when working, even though it was hard communicating with anyone. I guess if you just try not let them get to you they'll have no choice to try and be friendly (hmm..I really don't know)

Well, I hope you sort it out. Or I'll come round and get them for you!

I am so sorry to hear about your situation, Xsuperchick. I have been there, and done that. It happened to me years ago, which I will never forget. I was harrassed by former co-workers. So, I quit and found a job. Same thing. I got another job, which I was happy with.
Now, I am laid off. *I am sad*
I think it is called Hostile Work Environment! This has to be stopped!!![/QUOTE]

Yes it is a hostile work environment. The only way to stop it is to file a complaint with the company's HR or EEOC coordinator.

hostile work environment? in Peru? I don't think they have law like that

hostile work environment? in Peru? I don't think they have law like that

Please do not give out wrong information. Check your facts first!

The snapshot of labor laws in Peru.....

The “labor law” under Chapter 17 of the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.

• freedom of association;
• the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
• the elimination of all forms of forced or compulsory labor;
• the effective abolition of child labor, a prohibition on the worst forms of child labor, and other labor protections for children and minors;
the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation; and
• acceptable conditions of work with respect to minimum wages, hours of work, and occupational safety and health.

Government
The new National Directorate of Labor Inspection (Dirección Nacional de Inspección del Trabajo) replaces the MTPE’s previous Labor Inspectorate. It monitors enterprise-level compliance with labor law and regulations, including those concerning industrial relations, occupational safety and health, and protection of women workers, children, and the disabled

Court
The Labor Courts of First Instance have authority over cases of dismissal, payment of wages and compensation claims that are larger than small claims, non-compliance with labor laws and regulations, acts of employer hostility, including sexual harassment, and disputes involving internal work rules and internal union rules. These courts also have jurisdiction in cases involving suits brought by one union against another and workers against their own union, challenges to conciliation proceedings conducted by administrative labor authorities, and enforcement of administrative decisions. The Labor Courts of First Instance also hear appeals of labor judgments by the Peace Courts.

Disability Law
The General Law on Persons with Disabilities establishes legal protections for people with disabilities, including with respect to work. It states that people with disabilities shall have all the benefits and rights accorded to workers under the labor law and prohibits acts that disadvantage people with disabilities with respect to access to and conditions of employment, including both physical conditions and the terms of employment. Educational institutions must also adapt their admissions policies and evaluation procedures to accommodate people with disabilities.296 The law provides for preferential terms of credit or financing for small- and micro-enterprises that employ people with disabilities. The law also states that public sector enterprises and institutions are to give preferences to products and services provided by small- and micro-enterprises employing people with disabilities.298 Businesses with a workforce that includes at least 30 percent of people with disabilities also benefit from special government incentives.

Thanks for that info, I wish I could do something, but the owner of the supermarket is friend with my family, so I talked to him about my situation but it seems there's nothing he can do against the girl because she has a longer contract than me and everybody knows he's a friend of my family, so it'd be really bad, but last night... I quit! :D

I asked my supervisor to talk to her but she was like running away from me ¬¬ really silly! But then, I asked about my schedule and she told me a lot of lies and something that "she couldn't change it" yeah... right... Anyway, I told her "then... I quit, thanks for...well, thanks for the 15 days of torture but at least I handle it and I'm leaving with my pride" (pride... actually I cried at work a few days before that, but still lol)

22:30
Supervisor: blah blah... then, today was your last day
Me: Cool :)

23:05
Supervisor: Eh.. Lorena... you have to come here tomorrow, there are a lot of things to do
Me: {whaaaaaaaat the hell?!} Ok

Today... I didn't show up lol But I left saying "Thank you... and good night!" (too much drama :P) and singing "Don't Stop Me" - Queen :giggle:

I'm fine! Having a good time with my family and looking for another job, a good one this time. I'll think I'll join the Au Pair!

Oh well, sorry the job did not work out.
I've quit a few lousy jobs in my time.
Something better will come along..it always does! :)

Tough situation, sorry about that.

So now you're going to be a nanny now (au pair)?

Back