baby got hearing aids!

Ashli

Reaction score
Maybe some of you remember my prior posts about my little boy. He got his hearing aids 10 days ago! 6 days shy of 3 months old. Phonak Nios S H2o in ocean blue with blue/gray swirl earmolds. He looks smashing in them. They don't seem to bother him physically but they flop off a lot. We have a junior clip to attach to his clothes but it makes him very wired and bulky. He started daycare as I am back to work and his caregivers are wonderful. Doing their best as he's their first baby with hearing aids to be responsible for. I am definitely getting the looks from other moms when I pick him up and they see his aids which are brightly colored and quite obvious. And with the clip he looks like he is wired into something! No one is being rude or anything. Just looking.
I worry that people will be 'afraid' of us - think something is 'wrong' with him. Some of my older daughter's friends (they're 3-4) asked what's in his ears? His very proud big sister likes to explain they are hearing aids and what they're for.
I worry for him socially, kids - and parents - tend to not like anything 'different.' but for now it's one day at a time.
We don't notice any reaction to sound from hIm any more than before. Wondering if we shld. We follow up after next week. His loss is moderate with 50-70 appearing on his audiogram.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

It might be worth trying some toupee tape to help prevent the flopping - your son's Audie should be able to help source this and how to apply it :)

The other mums may be just interested because they've never seen a baby with hearing aids before. Once you get the chance to explain what they are for, and that giving your son access to sound will help him learn to speak and keep him safe when he learns to crawl and walk, I'm sure it will be OK.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

It might be worth trying some toupee tape to help prevent the flopping - your son's Audie should be able to help source this and how to apply it :)

The double sided tape is the only thing that worked for my son, and it worked wonders. The clip would often times just irritate his skin. It's another good option.

It will take him a little while before he starts responding to the sounds. Just keep them on him during all waking hours, and when he starts to go through the stage of pulling them off, just put them back on. He will get into the groove.

The other mums may be just interested because they've never seen a baby with hearing aids before. Once you get the chance to explain what they are for, and that giving your son access to sound will help him learn to speak and keep him safe when he learns to crawl and walk, I'm sure it will be OK.

I'm sure that's exactly what's going on. I experienced the same thing when my son was a baby with bright blue hearing aids.

I am sure it is a curiosity thing and I'd look too. Most people that have actually talked with me about it are surprised he is wearing them so young, not knowing infants could be fitted. So far so good with the 'junior clip' that came with the Phonaks, although the clip itself is hard and bulky! I've been clipping it to the side of his shirt because if I clip it on the top of the back of his shirt, I imagine it will bother when he naps/lays down as he does a lot being 3 months old. I just received his new ear gear and we have yet to try the toupee/wig tape. That's next..

Back