Baa Baa Fuel - Better use of sheep

WonderBum

Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3025504.stm

Best fuel source baa none?

Tim Bowler
BBC World Service business reporter

You could soon drive to work on one
New Zealand is a country with an awful lot of sheep.
One by-product of the country's meat industry is thousands of tons of animal fats, or tallow, every year.

Now the country is experimenting with using the fat to create fuel for vehicles, and plans have been drawn up to create a bio-diesel refinery.

A lot of the meat industry's annual output of 150,000 tons of tallow is currently exported for use in animal foods or chemicals manufacture.

But New Zealand's Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority has drawn up plans to use 120,000 tons of animal fat as a bio-diesel.

Cleaner and better

The Authority's transport expert, Elizabeth Yeaman, says tallow bio-diesel is "very clean burning, far more so than ordinary diesels".

And the process is doubly energy-efficient when compared to producing bio-diesel from specially grown crops.

"The fact that we have both sheep and beef tallow here as a waste product means that its much...easier to make it financially a goer than...actually growing a crop with the production of biodiesel specifically in mind," says Ms Yeaman.

Some companies are already embracing the idea.

The power firm Meridien Energy, is looking at using tallow as an environmentally friendly fuel to drive its diggers and other machinery on its $1.3bn hydro-electric scheme.

It looks like New Zealand is going to be the first country in the world with sheep-fat powered bulldozers.

wow thats interest and never thought of that processing !! maybe it could save our mother natures gas's life ! lol

Whooops!

Note to myself: If sheep diesel comes to USA buy a Diesel truck :D

Cant wait to see other motorist reaction when truck goes baa baa baa! (and might grow some wool! LOL)

also it make me think hard ... i think it is good idea because it would prevent from terrorist to blow up the gas ... so use the lamb fuel and won't blow it up huh ummm... what do u think ?? lets debate !!

Originally posted by knightwolf68
also it make me think hard ... i think it is good idea because it would prevent from terrorist to blow up the gas ... so use the lamb fuel and won't blow it up huh ummm... what do u think ?? lets debate !!

Heck mate! I don't want to be cleaning offal of me...

"New Zealand is a country with an awful lot of sheep. "

Wow. I found out why a lot of sick and perv people are going to New Zealand with the reason. :shocked:

Originally posted by Stevey Boy
"New Zealand is a country with an awful lot of sheep. "

Wow. I found out why a lot of sick and perv people are going to New Zealand with the reason. :shocked:

That's how SARS started.... Sheep A Rooting Syndrome..... they listen to too many myths and end up paying for it with their lives...

:laugh2:

Back