Aw, What A Fake!!!

Chase

Premium Member
Reaction score
As a newcomer to the wet Pacific northwest, I enjoyed discussions in another thread on real versus movie mist-fog-cloud-steam phenomenons.

Completely agreeing with VamPyreX that movies are primarily entertainment where writers and FX people bend the rules for thrills, I also agree with PuyoPiyo’s annoyance when props and actions are way out of line.

Like John Wayne drawing and fanning the hammer of a Colt Peacemaker in a Civil War movie. They weren’t around for another decade.

Like Bruce Willis passing the flame of a flicked Bic under a water head and the entire building’s sprinkler system erupts. Sorry, fire suppressant systems just don’t work that way.

We deafies depend a lot more on action than words. What flake TV and movie actions and anachronisms bother you?

*raised my arm* ooh ooh ooh I know I know I know
Most of gun firing scene in tv and movie are always fake and I see lovely actress holding big bad ass gun and they always flip, jump, duck, roll and all fancy footwork with gun and shoot them seamlessly with no recoil at all, same with guys I hate that! Guns have so much more recoil than it exhibited in the movie and guns trust me I've shot plenty of them I wish they add recoil effect to the gun firing scenes so its more realistic I don't care about exaggerated fancy footwork, flipping and explosion all that to add the drama its fine but please add recoil!!

That's hollywood. You gotta expect it. When I see a film really well edited, that impresses me, but I rarely see a film edited or directed to perfection. The only perfect film(s) that come to mind are by Sergio Leone. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and Once Upon A Time In The West come to mind as two of Leone's best films.

They always take liberties with movies to keep people entertained. Everybody should know that.

Well I am stick to Vampy's word, they are just movies and aren't real so there's no need to take it so seriously.

They always take liberties with movies to keep people entertained. Everybody should know that.

I would say it the same, but would have worded it ". . .to keep the majority entertained."

Show me the money!

As a newcomer to the wet Pacific northwest, I enjoyed discussions in another thread on real versus movie mist-fog-cloud-steam phenomenons.

Completely agreeing with VamPyreX that movies are primarily entertainment where writers and FX people bend the rules for thrills, I also agree with PuyoPiyo’s annoyance when props and actions are way out of line.

Like John Wayne drawing and fanning the hammer of a Colt Peacemaker in a Civil War movie. They weren’t around for another decade.
Like Bruce Willis passing the flame of a flicked Bic under a water head and the entire building’s sprinkler system erupts. Sorry, fire suppressant systems just don’t work that way.

We deafies depend a lot more on action than words. What flake TV and movie actions and anachronisms bother you?

GAWD, I agree with you on period inconsistency. Drives me batty!

Oh, like somebody shooting a couple bullets at a military-grade helicopter and it explodes.

Like a pistol can cause that kind of damage with a couple bullets.

GAWD, I agree with you on period inconsistency. Drives me batty!

Agree there. I cannot remember the name of some western movie, where a cowboy was wearing a modern wrist-watch instead of a fob-watch. :giggle:

Oh, like somebody shooting a couple bullets at a military-grade helicopter and it explodes.

Like a pistol can cause that kind of damage with a couple bullets.
That reminds me of a part out of The Last Action Hero starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. After he came out of the movie world into the real world, he was chasing a bad guy trying to get away in a taxi. He shot one bullet into the taxi and the taxi didn't blow up. He looked at his gun and said, "I think the taxis are bulletproof."

Whew! At first I thought most viewers were going with glassy-eyed "show me anything and I'll like it."

I'm glad that when authors and movie-makers insult our intelligence, some of us take a little offense. Even when I was little, I knew dinosaurs and cave men didn't co-exist in the same time periods. I'm not talking about fictional isolated places where a few dinosaurs may have survived, or people going back in time to meet them, or science reproducting a T-Rex as in Jurassic Park. At least there's a framework for us to suspend disbelief.

I'm like Banjo and Vampy with pet peeves about firearms. They don't spark off fiberglass car hoods or glass windshields. No pistol, rifle, or shotgun blows off limbs or causes a body to sale through the air; that's just FX bunk.

Here's another one. Guess how many U.S. law enforcement officers have been killed with machine guns or submachine guns in the last 75 years? The answer is zero; yet it's depicted as an everyday thing in movies and on TV. Then writers who get their "fasts" from entertainment media write the balognia into their best-sellers. It's a vicious circle.

Another stupid cliché I'm tired of seeing is a twenty-something expert in all martial arts (hands, feet, knives, swords, guns, staffs, ropes, etc.) who hasn't had time to develop the skills and never takes time to practive. I'm a teriffic shot because I've practiced weekly since I was 10, been to numerous shooting school, and compete regularly. When I don't, the skills diminish quickly. That's the real world and I expect something similar for fiction to be believable.

I'm not talking about fictional isolated places where a few dinosaurs may have survived, or people going back in time to meet them, or science reproducting a T-Rex as in Jurassic Park. At least there's a framework for us to suspend disbelief.

I was around 9 when I saw Jurassic Park. That T-Rex looked so real on the big screen. Today, it still looks real.

Amazing what people can do. Today, they overuse computer-generated images in movies. In most movies, they move like rubberman. They even called it the Rubberman syndrome. Heck, they don't even look real most of the times.

The King Kong remake a couple years ago didn't really blow me away. King Kong didn't look real to me the way the T-Rex from Jurassic Park did.

Just saying.

I'm like Banjo and Vampy with pet peeves about firearms. They don't spark off fiberglass car hoods or glass windshields. No pistol, rifle, or shotgun blows off limbs or causes a body to sale through the air; that's just FX bunk.

Oh yeah. Sometimes, in a movie where they use a shotgun, once a person is hit, they will fly out the window. I don't expect a shotgun to be capable of throwing a person through the window.

It's amusing how they do it sometimes.

I get a kick out of how every hand gun seems to hold about 30 rounds without reloading. :lol:

Don't get me started on movies with a military plot. :roll:

It's worse when Hubby and I watch them together, especially if there's a military woman in the movie. I criticize the woman stuff (no one wears their uniform that way), and Hubby criticizes all the incorrect shipboard stuff. We both laugh at the misuse of military jargon.

I get a kick out of how every hand gun seems to hold about 30 rounds without reloading. :lol:

Don't get me started on movies with a military plot. :roll:

It's worse when Hubby and I watch them together, especially if there's a military woman in the movie. I criticize the woman stuff (no one wears their uniform that way), and Hubby criticizes all the incorrect shipboard stuff. We both laugh at the misuse of military jargon.

Just like we roll our eyes at how they portray some of the deaf characters on TV shows and in movies. It takes one to know, doesn't it? :)

Just like we roll our eyes at how they portray some of the deaf characters on TV shows and in movies. It takes one to know, doesn't it? :)
Oh, yes! It also makes me crazy when they include "interpreters" in those programs. Ethics? Eh, what?

Oh, yes! It also makes me crazy when they include "interpreters" in those programs. Ethics? Eh, what?

They are even worse with interpreters. They always get "lucky" when they discover that the janitor is fluent in ASL so they have him doing the interpreting.

They are even worse with interpreters. They always get "lucky" when they discover that the janitor is fluent in ASL so they have him doing the interpreting.

:rofl:

Back