Average hearing threshold sensitivity ?

Presbyter

Reaction score
I'm looking into drawing Disability from SS after 30 years of full time employment with lots of credits. I hear at 70 decibels under 250 freq. I hear 80db at maybe 350, 90 at 400, 100 at 500 and the rest is off the chart. I'm wondering what 90 decibels means at the SS website? Below I posted a clip of possible requirements but why does it state 90 decibels without any frequency range. Perhaps they meant all across the frequencies. Could it be the 90db starts at extreme low frequency? Is there and example chart we could see?
I don't think I could get a score of 40% in the speech test. maybe 10%. All depends on who talking. Please advise.

clipped--------------------------------
For this condition to be severe enough to meet the Social Security Administration's listing the claimant must have:

* Average hearing threshold sensitivity for air conduction of 90 decibels or greater in the better ear and a corresponding loss in the bone conduction; OR
* Speech discrimination score of 40% (severe difficulty in conversation most of the time) or less in the better ear.

clipped---------------------------------

I wanted to add this:
clipped----------------
2.08 Hearing impairments (hearing not restorable by a hearing aid) manifested by:

A. Average hearing threshold sensitivity for air conduction of 90decibels or greater, and for bone conduction to corresponding maximal levels, in the better ear, determined by the simple average of hearing threshold levels at 500, 1000, and 2000hz. (see 2.00B1); or
clipped------------------

I'm seeing an averaging system here. So, ifs its 70db at 250 freq, 90db at 500 freq and off the chart at 1000 and 2000, what would be the average ballpark? 100ld?

The number they are describing is the Pure Tone Average, or PTA. It is the average score of pure tones at 500, 1000, and 2000 Hz. If yours are 90/NR/NR, your PTA is >90 but cannot be determined beyond that. I've not seen audiograms measure at 350 Hz or 400, but I'm no expert. Speech discrim must be tested by the audiologist.

If you described your better ear, or both ears are the same, you would qualify based on PTA but still need speech discrim tested.

Audiologists do not normally test at 350 and 400 Hz. Instead, they test at
250 Hz, 500 Hz, 750 Hz, 1K Hz, 3K Hz, 6K Hz and 8K Hz.

I got a copy of my hearing test. Please help me determine the chances of my hearing being: "* Average hearing threshold sensitivity for air conduction of 90 decibels or greater".
75 db at 250
80 db at 500
95 db at 750
105 db at 100
105 db at 1500
105 db at 2000
It was also written at the bottom of the test and it said:
Results: Severe to profound sensorineural (spell?) loss of hearing in both ears.

I think I might have heard clicks on the loud high sounds. Probably the machine.

Back