Audism - The Definition and the Audist View

most hearies don't even realize how much they rely on non-verbal signals for understanding
. Which is where we get therapies like AVT and people like faire joure claiming they don't speechread, and that education and training of dhh kids needs to focus on hearing, hearing and more hearing.
There ARE people who do not interpret nonverbal signals very well, but that's called nonverbal learning disorder, and is related to Asperger's Syndrome.

What’s Wrong with this Picture?

Here's a chance to tell your story:

Equal Rights Commission Seeks Testimonials on Accessibility Experiences
The Equal Rights Commission is preparing to launch a new multi-faceted campaign – “What’s Wrong with this Picture?” – which will educate people across the nation on what civil rights mean for people with disabilities, and barriers to look for in accessibility. To aid in the campaign, the commission is seeking testimonials from individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing on their experience with barriers to accessibility, or stories of reasonable accommodations or modifications. Click here to submit your story. The deadline for testimonials is January 31, 2011.

Can you please provide more information?

I do wish I knew more, but I don't. AGBell sent out an email today informing membership of this (no more info than you see here) encouraging people to submit stories. I'd not seen mention of it here and thought it would make sense if the stories that this group used in their campaign reflected this community's perceptions, as well.

If AGBell sent a memo, I can guarantee you that the oralists will be replying. Let's add some counter measures to their reports!

I do wish I knew more, but I don't. AGBell sent out an email today informing membership of this (no more info than you see here) encouraging people to submit stories. I'd not seen mention of it here and thought it would make sense if the stories that this group used in their campaign reflected this community's perceptions, as well.

Love it! Insure equal representation.

Audism is being told there is no other option than to be oral-only. Suggesting only speech therapy, HAs, CIs and oral programs, special ed classes, reading remedial classes etc.

Audism is attempting oral only as a first resort, only to go to manual language after a child has fallen horribly behind developmentally and educationally. Deafness did not cause the problems, oral only did.

I hate that when oral deaf who grew up without the touch of the Deaf culture, and they have sensitive self esteem issue which I know it is not their fault. it's the others who made oral deaf people that way.

I hate that when oral deaf who grew up without the touch of the Deaf culture, and they have sensitive self esteem issue which I know it is not their fault. it's the others who made oral deaf people that way.

I can definitely see how that would be.

I get upset when people talk to other people in very low voice about you in the same room...that is pure hate and audism...and they pretend you know what they say..rubs me the wrong way..does anybody know what Im talkin about...how a foot up yo ass! :lol:

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a weblink that is all about Audism? I have to do a half page of what Audism is and what it means to me. Being a HOH person it should have some effect on me but since i've only heard of the term a view times i can not form an opinion until i have researched it more personally to form an opionion if anyone can help please let me know.

This (in bold) from Wikipedia is the part that was confusing me.

Audism describes the mentality that to be able to hear and to speak is necessarily better and leads to a higher quality of life.

Back