ATTN: Those who wants to do interviews/questions/surveys - Please read this FIRST.

Hello guys... I am not deaf. I am currently studying sign language and I am here to connect with the deaf community.

Kudos.

I totally agree also...I am hearing, I have several reasons why i am here. I am here for friends, male or female - just friends. I'm here cause I have an obvious intrest in the Deaf community. I want more than anything to learn as much as I can about the Deaf and HOH world. and yes I am in school to be an interpreter. and yes I have assignments, my teacher is Deaf and she suggests video chatting as one of our interaction grades. So my intentions are all good. I dont have any questions, I have the internet and the library for that. I simply want to get involved. I know it sounds weird to say..." I want deaf friends"... That's like saying "I'm learning spanish and I want Latino friends. That sound kinda... I don't know. I can't help that I am attracted to ASL. I love to sign and learn new signs. I want to be an interpreter because I feel that I have an ability to help communication barriers between hearing and Deaf, if help is needed/wanted.. I'm so happy to be welcomed to alldeaf. I just wanted to clarify my presence. ;)
Mine and my wife's precious boy, who is also a special needs child, has started learning sign language from a special needs individual who, although not hearing impaired, is mute and uses ASL to communicate. It's actually quite endearing to observe the two of them communicate; a preadolescent boy and a fully grown special needs man communicating via ASL. Now that's the heart of empathy and compassion in the making.
We're proactive about our little man's education, so we're looking for texts and/or audio-visual programs that are well designed and structured so he can teach himself and others ASL at home.

hey again, responded to you in the HA/APD post you had....
just so you're aware that "hearing impaired" is rude and generally not accepted in the d/Deaf community.

:) welcome though

Mine and my wife's precious boy, who is also a special needs child, has started learning sign language from a special needs individual who, although not hearing impaired, is mute and uses ASL to communicate. It's actually quite endearing to observe the two of them communicate; a preadolescent boy and a fully grown special needs man communicating via ASL. Now that's the heart of empathy and compassion in the making.
We're proactive about our little man's education, so we're looking for texts and/or audio-visual programs that are well designed and structured so he can teach himself and others ASL at home.

A Deaf (if he is not deaf or hard of hearing) child don't like to be called "Special". He would rather be like any other children except he can not hear. Most hearing people put the label on the child(ren) "Special". I don't like using the word "hearing impaired" either like dogmom. Deaf child or children need to learn ASL unless you have a baby who need to learn baby sign language which is easier for the baby hands and fingers. I don't know how old is your child. So I am making a guess on what you are saying that your child is mute and need to communicate with sign language. You should have a mentor(s) coming to your home to teach your child to sign correctly. They might have equipment with DVD to show the child on ASL. Also there might be "Signing Times" on PBS if you can find the schedule program on T.V. so that your child and your family will enjoy learning the words. That would be fun to watch. :wave:

I am deaf and I am not a special needs person.

The word, "mute" is offensive to Deaf people. Glad you are learning ASL but you need to get updated with Deaf culture, just a FYI.

I'd want to get to know deaf culture and learn sign language I know very little signs tho but I'd like to make new friends

This man is not calling his son "special". Special needs is a term that is often used clinically to describe people who need assistance. It's not once I'm fond of because of the use of calling people with disabilities special, but the difference is like using oriental for carpets but using Asian for people. His son also has no hearing loss nor does the other man in this story so he in no way lumped deafness in with special needs.

Also, while it's offensive calling people who are Deaf mute, when someone has mutism it's not offensive to call them mute. I have a friend who has a neurological disorder that often prevents him from talking, he has intermittent mutism and uses ASL when that happens. Being mute is a completely different condition from being deaf and when someone is mute it's appropriate to call them mute.

I understand what you are saying and correcting me defining the words "Special" and "mute".

But still that is how we feel not wanting us to be special. I also understand what you mean about the person who could not use the sounds of his or her voice can be used the word "mute". That is correct. Sometime we don't even like the word "Dumb" relating to not use sounds from our voices as we only signed ASL without using the voices. We are embarrass or knowing that we use the sounds of loud voices that would turn the hearing people cringed or could not stand what we spoke. We just don't like to use those terms for the Deaf. Those are two different things. I am just trying to clarify on those words. You are defining and doing fine. We are just different. :)

I am new here and I am from new York and I am hard of hearing

Sent from my XT1526 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Hi i am deaf all ✌️

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1434422949.799929.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1434422949.799929.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi I'm 15 and can hear, I would like to learn ASL I want to be able to speak and comuicate with the deaf.
But I can't find anywere to go to learn.

I totally agree also...I am hearing, I have several reasons why i am here. I am here for friends, male or female - just friends. I'm here cause I have an obvious intrest in the Deaf community. I want more than anything to learn as much as I can about the Deaf and HOH world. and yes I am in school to be an interpreter. and yes I have assignments, my teacher is Deaf and she suggests video chatting as one of our interaction grades. So my intentions are all good. I dont have any questions, I have the internet and the library for that. I simply want to get involved. I know it sounds weird to say..." I want deaf friends"... That's like saying "I'm learning spanish and I want Latino friends. That sound kinda... I don't know. I can't help that I am attracted to ASL. I love to sign and learn new signs. I want to be an interpreter because I feel that I have an ability to help communication barriers between hearing and Deaf, if help is needed/wanted.. I'm so happy to be welcomed to alldeaf. I just wanted to clarify my presence. ;)

I am here for the same reason! I haven't been able to get to school yet to study ASL but I am just here to make friends and learn. I just want to learn sign language and hopefully better both myself and others later on in life by interperating!

Thank you for sharing,
Kayla

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I am here for the same reason! I haven't been able to get to school yet to study ASL but I am just here to make friends and learn. I just want to learn sign language and hopefully better both myself and others later on in life by interperating!

Thank you for sharing,
Kayla

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

He,,o hoxa vis d8enja

Sent from my GT-P5110 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I have fallen in love with ASL, I am in the Netherlands so it was hard to find classes but I did! Yay me. Only 15 tho but to know this language will be such a new world

hi

My name is ashia do anyone have kik drop we can vhat im lookin for friends here im really lonely

Hello, my name is Analy Salinas... I have taken ASL before and I want to keep learning and practicing..but I'm scared I won't be doing it right! I'm not looking just to practice, I want to make friends but like I said I'm just too scared.

Hi! My name is Adriano, I'm trying to self learn ASL, and I would like to learn more signs and practice it, anyone interested please send me a msg me through here or add me on Skype! Mangacapoeira ( that's my skype name)

Thank you!!! :)

Back