ATTN: Those who wants to do interviews/questions/surveys - Please read this FIRST.

Just an idea to prevent all the annoying questions is there a way to modify the registration process so that it says to check out this forum topic FIRST before posting anything?

For example, in the activation email you can put some text, "If you are registering to ask questions about deaf life or doing homework, read this link FIRST.... "

I know it's not a 100% solution there will still be idiots who don't have a concept of the search button but that might help reduce the annoying questions.

Introduce Yourself

I'm new to this, so bear with me. I'm 42 yrs. old and have inherited nerve deafness of both ears from father's side of family. I passed this on to 2 of my 3 children. We first found out I had the "disease" when I was 5 because my older brother was having problems. My step-father thought it was a character defect in us and tried to beat it out of us. Even though we lived in a city with a deaf school, we were told we weren't deaf enough for it. My brother and I got through school the best we could. I left home at 15 to get married and get away from the abuse at home. I finally got my first set of hearing aids at age 17 through the state to get a job. For the first time I heard birds singing and squirrels in the trees. :laugh2: I was able to use different sets of hearing aids for about 10 years before my hearing dropped even more. My family participated in the DNA profiling at Gaulladette University to find out more about our families different types of deafness--no deafness, slowly going deaf, sudden deafness, and born deaf. We never know what's going to happen with it and wanted to help anyone we could. Around 1994 or so, we began finding out that there was cochlear implants out that might be able to help some of us to hear again. The past couple of years now, many of the long-time deaf people in my family started getting implants and was able to hear again, so I thought it would be a good idea to check it out. I was only able to hear maybe 2% of anything. Nothing in high pitches. I got the Med-El implant done on the left ear on Oct. 22 and had my first mapping done Nov. 15th. I am so happy with it. I had a burned tounge feeling for the first few weeks, some dizziness, tinnitus, and stopped up ear. It has been worth it so far. I've been able to hear the phone ring but can't hear to talk on it yet. I heard the rain, ice crackling in my glass, leaves rustling. I'm getting the things in order to get the other ear done also. My family is behind me on this if I want to do it or not. I'm so glad I did.

Hi all,

My name is Ashley, and I am a doctoral student in clinical psychology. I, (like many others, it seems) did indeed join this community in hopes of learning more about deaf culture. In reading this post, it is apparent that many of you may have felt used or inconvenienced by hearing people wishing to learn more about your culture quickly and easily without doing much work. I hope that I might be able to navigate my own learning process about the deaf community without being opportunistic, offensive, or disrespectful. If this post feels this way, please feel free to let me know.

I am here because I would like to interview two willing participants--not to learn the basics of deaf culture (or things one could look up in general) but rather, to talk about your own personal experience as someone who is deaf. I am interested in individual perspective, opinions, challenges, triumphs-- anything you'd like to share, really. As a clinical psychology student, I am seeking to learn more about underrepresented groups in a way that does not feel trite, essentializing, or sensationalist. I do not personally know any deaf or hard of hearing individuals, which is why I would most like to interview some members of your community. In doing so, I am hoping to deepen my understanding, learn something that cannot be Googled, and get to know you better.

If you're interested in being interviewed (perhaps via Skype or Google Chat), or if you know of someone who would like to participate, please let me know.

If not, that is totally fine too, and thanks for reading :)

Take care,
Ashley

Hello. This is my first experience here. I'm not even sure I am posting my first message in the right place. If I am - hello everyone! :)

Hi all,

My name is Ashley, and I am a doctoral student in clinical psychology. I, (like many others, it seems) did indeed join this community in hopes of learning more about deaf culture. In reading this post, it is apparent that many of you may have felt used or inconvenienced by hearing people wishing to learn more about your culture quickly and easily without doing much work. I hope that I might be able to navigate my own learning process about the deaf community without being opportunistic, offensive, or disrespectful. If this post feels this way, please feel free to let me know.

I am here because I would like to interview two willing participants--not to learn the basics of deaf culture (or things one could look up in general) but rather, to talk about your own personal experience as someone who is deaf. I am interested in individual perspective, opinions, challenges, triumphs-- anything you'd like to share, really. As a clinical psychology student, I am seeking to learn more about underrepresented groups in a way that does not feel trite, essentializing, or sensationalist. I do not personally know any deaf or hard of hearing individuals, which is why I would most like to interview some members of your community. In doing so, I am hoping to deepen my understanding, learn something that cannot be Googled, and get to know you better.

If you're interested in being interviewed (perhaps via Skype or Google Chat), or if you know of someone who would like to participate, please let me know.

If not, that is totally fine too, and thanks for reading :)

Take care,

Ashley

Hello Ashley. It appears that you are a very considerate, intelligent woman. I hope your research goes nicely for you. I am a 'late deafened adult' having lost my hearing due to head injuries in an auto accident (in my early thirties). So my experience, is, of course, dramatically different from those who were born Deaf. Well, EVERY person's experiences are unique, of course, whether they are Deaf or hearing or somewhere in between. Our experiences are as unique as our fingerprints, as you well know.. If you want to communicate more with me please do! - Lyn

I Have moderate hearing loss. Left differing from the right. I inherited a hardly used pair of Phonak Naida Q70sp BTE devices. I am contemplating programming these myself. I have gone through the online demonstrations of all the procedures to do this job. I am quite familiar with computers and how they fit into the process. I have used the search tool on this site in an attempt to assemble a precise list as to exactly what hardware and what software I will need to purchase to be able to do this programming. I am aware of the following names of items like; iCom, iCube, MyPilot, Phonak 2.6 software, T-Coil, Lace auditory training package, Hi-Pro device, the meaning of cables programming, Target 3.3 programming software, the two different cables need for Hi-Pro device ---could not pin down the correct description of the essential cable that would do the job on this HA.
If anyone here can pin down a list of all the basic items (precise descriptors) to do this programming I would love to hear from you.
As a newbie I might be placing this note in the wrong place. If so I apologize.

I could be wrong, please correct me if I am. But honestly I've found that the majority of people here, if you just talk to try to form relationships of sorts, people just come around on their own. I am not going to school for ASL, but I am learning on my own. And I've found what little questions I've had on my mind... people just naturally answer them on their own, with little effort. Bottom line for me... everyone here is a human being, not a lab rat. I know it may be a harsh way to put it, but I agree with the above posts. I just hope my bluntness doesn't bring haters. You guys have all been really sweet to me.

Back