ATTN: Those who wants to do interviews/questions/surveys - Please read this FIRST.

and i dont know what to say! it is first time i have ever been in! sorry!

I'm Belinda and 55 yrs old. i was born deaf and i went and graduated ida public school with deaf classes. i grew up in Michigan. Now I'm in Calif., married to hearing man of 25 yrs and 3 hearing kids. hobby is sewing, quilting, and barbie collect.:wave:

Hi . Go to this place I am posting for you and click New Thread. No one will see your intro here.

Introduce Yourself - AllDeaf.com

OK i read the views. i'm deaf, well doesnt bother me this is who am i. i grew up in orally and lipreading. i do sign asl some not all. i am volunteer and teacher helper in deaf class, helped out with deaf children whom sign. so i can learn to sign with them from elementary through out high school. i enjoyed them. for me i dont care both way for deaf who lipreading and sign langages as i like to make some friends. im not against at orally or against sign language, either way. deaf is deaf, period. my life grew up with lack of conversation with families, friends. i understood how you feel about being left out, or being told never mind, so on. of course that bothered me as bitter sad. i dont have many hearing friends because i chose few good hearing close-friends whom really understands and cares about me have been my sides as best friends for many years. and i do have close deaf friends i treat them equally as evenly. my husband is hearing and learned and knows asl before met me. he always told me that deaf people are NOT stupid as hearing people are stupid because they (hearing) dont know a thing about deaf! he said also deaf people are more seriously focus on what they are doing hard way to prove themself more better than the hearing people.he said, deafpeople are more intelliange and smart what they are doing at or so good at. i had been told by friends telling me some outside friends cant believe that i drive! yea, i have good eyes!!! and less attraction. they were taken surprised! yep! that was at along ago! now days, same people realized im very good driver of 38 yrs with an excellant driving records. i proved them wrong! my grandson's dad whom is hearing asked my daughter what if i can't hear baby's crying and she told him upfront look at my mom was raising me and siblings! so thats mean i have eyes!!! i do wear both hearing aids to listen any noises and alerts around too. believe me i hardly find a single deaf friend but 20 some years took me to find the one deaf lady whom i met at the lunch time at resturant! she the one deaf, but lipreading! we become friends. so we would have keeping to look any deaf person which i DON'T care if she/he signs or not as i rather have a friend. i ended up to find deaf club or something in website or google. i saw there is many as i try one is alldeaf. i hope i will enjoy soon. thank you for having me there. thanks!

i'm very new

i don't know where to start i'm deaf and from new jersey my son found this site for me so need help what to do where to start thank you :wave:

First of all, AllDeaf would like to make a warm welcome to those who are interested in learning American Sign Language (ASL), Deaf Culture, Interpreting Students or anything else that is affiliated to the Deaf Community.

There are some things that I want to bring in light of this before you guys consider making a questionnaires/surveys on this forum.

As you know, We oftenly see a lot of these questionnaires/surveys through out the year. A lot of times, we see these newly registered members that signs up to post these questionnaires and then when the questions are answered, they usually leave.

Some of the times they make such posts that are for their homework assignments. Please do not expect to come in here to find quick answers just because it is for your homework. If it is for your homework assignment; You are expected to search the answers for yourself because there are more than plenty of available information/resources on this site in a lot of different forums.

The goal of this is to make a purpose to reduce the needs of pooling these general examples of answered questions for these guys are available, we have a general answer, it prevents unneeded user registrations and lessens "overall posts" even though it might not be that much.

These are the varieties of such common questions we would see;

While we understand this is for you guys to come on this forum to search for the answers that you need for whatever reason it is, This is not to say that we are pushing you guys away. That isn't the intention as it seem to be. You guys are more than welcome to come on this forum to inter react with other members and to find what you're looking for; but in overall; I ask that all of you guys need to take this in consideration to see what really underlines beneath of all how this information can be easily obtained if you were to be reputable to make the search on your own.

Secondly, If there's nothing that has been mentioned on this forum that has been said to ask questions that hasn't been asked; Please do so. Just remember, There are a lot of FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) that has already been here over and over from time to time on this forum. These questions has been answered numerous of times.

Now with that being said - If there's anything else that needs to be added on this; Please do so and with respect as always.

Thank You. :)

P.S. -- I also would strongly suggest for you guys to look and check out various threads that relates to your interests on such forums as -- Our World, Our Culture Forum, Sign Language & Oralism Forum, Deaf Education Forum and Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter Forum to get the answers from there.

Thanks Jolie77. by the way, my craft business name is Joli's. I am from Kentucky but live in minneapolis. I just found this website which is great. I have just completed ASL 1 and am signed up for the next class. I can't wait. I have been looking all over the internet for sites like this. Any other recommendations?????

Lisa Keith

Is any member of your family deaf? Yes, my 7 year old sister

Where you born deaf? no

What does being deaf mean to you? bein deaf to me is someone who cannot hear, but tries very hard to communicate.

What do you prefer to use a TTY/ttd, relay operator, videophone or other? Why? I havent personally tried any of those, but my ASL professor says the videophone is the only way to go.

What are our educational backgrounds? Im still in high school, but im taking ASL college courses to become an interpertor

What school do you/did you go to? i go to a high school called Bayhill hs, and Diablo valley community college

Why do you prefer to use that particular method of communication? I prefer it becuase i find it easier for me

i don't know where to start i'm deaf and from new jersey my son found this site for me so need help what to do where to start thank you :wave:

Hello, Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

You might would like to participate in this thread, especially if you have became deaf at a older age. A lot of members here on this board are late-deafened. They basically share their experiences and strifes of being deaf as an adult. It has plenty of information that are worth reading and worth learning of! :)

Thanks Jolie77. by the way, my craft business name is Joli's. I am from Kentucky but live in minneapolis. I just found this website which is great. I have just completed ASL 1 and am signed up for the next class. I can't wait. I have been looking all over the internet for sites like this. Any other recommendations?????

Lisa Keith

You're welcome. Ah, Whereabouts in Kentucky are you from? Has Minneapolis been treating you well? :)

I think it's great that you're learning ASL. As for recommendations, What are you looking in to, or what are you wanting to learn about in general? I'm asking this because the more we know what you would like to know of, the more we would be able to help you out.

Hi my name is Andrew Metz, I am deaf professional and the president and founder of zteM Education Institution, I'm glad to be here to share insights and what I work for

First of all, AllDeaf would like to make a warm welcome to those who are interested in learning American Sign Language (ASL), Deaf Culture, Interpreting Students or anything else that is affiliated to the Deaf Community.

There are some things that I want to bring in light of this before you guys consider making a questionnaires/surveys on this forum.

As you know, We oftenly see a lot of these questionnaires/surveys through out the year. A lot of times, we see these newly registered members that signs up to post these questionnaires and then when the questions are answered, they usually leave.

Some of the times they make such posts that are for their homework assignments. Please do not expect to come in here to find quick answers just because it is for your homework. If it is for your homework assignment; You are expected to search the answers for yourself because there are more than plenty of available information/resources on this site in a lot of different forums.

The goal of this is to make a purpose to reduce the needs of pooling these general examples of answered questions for these guys are available, we have a general answer, it prevents unneeded user registrations and lessens "overall posts" even though it might not be that much.

These are the varieties of such common questions we would see;

While we understand this is for you guys to come on this forum to search for the answers that you need for whatever reason it is, This is not to say that we are pushing you guys away. That isn't the intention as it seem to be. You guys are more than welcome to come on this forum to inter react with other members and to find what you're looking for; but in overall; I ask that all of you guys need to take this in consideration to see what really underlines beneath of all how this information can be easily obtained if you were to be reputable to make the search on your own.

Secondly, If there's nothing that has been mentioned on this forum that has been said to ask questions that hasn't been asked; Please do so. Just remember, There are a lot of FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) that has already been here over and over from time to time on this forum. These questions has been answered numerous of times.

Now with that being said - If there's anything else that needs to be added on this; Please do so and with respect as always.

Thank You. :)

P.S. -- I also would strongly suggest for you guys to look and check out various threads that relates to your interests on such forums as -- Our World, Our Culture Forum, Sign Language & Oralism Forum, Deaf Education Forum and Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter Forum to get the answers from there.

:deaf:

Is any member of your family deaf? Yup, im the 7th generation

Where you born deaf? Were? - Yup

What does being deaf mean to you? Never really thought about it. Normal, I guess? Same as hearing. I don't find it very upset situation at all.

What do you prefer to use a TTY/ttd, relay operator, videophone or other? Why? VP - easier, and very efficient reduce the time consuming compare to the old time with tty/tdd

What are your educational backgrounds? Double BA Degree - Now working on master degree in Information Technology

What school do you/did you go to? University High School, RIT, Bellevue University

Why do you prefer to use that particular method of communication? American Sign Language, sometime voice.

Check city and state requirement for the hearing impaired....

I have a hearing dog and I live in a condo , people drive real fast in our parking lot and the trustees will not put a sign to warn people to watch us for my dog and me. I am trying to get the city to put a sign up on my street,
instead and hope this will remind people to drive slow in our driveway! Does anyone know how I can speed this up! Does this post have spell check
I could not find it!

I think your state is legally obliagated to post a sign in a certain radius of where you reside if you use a hearing dog. Research your state laws and write a letter to your mayor or senator and they will make things happen..... hope this helps....

Hello~!

I am new to the Blog, and I am happy I found this cause it is among others I can relate with, in which I was seeking better understandings of myself.

Always Looking to make new Friends~
~Chris =]

WOW!....Theres alot of judgements going on in this forum....ouch! I just joined and actually had a question but Im afraid to ask now! People are different-hearing or Deaf. There are things they do we dont understand or can't even comprehend but you move right along because in no way is it worth your time. Believe it or not my instructor who is Deaf requires us to ask Deaf or HOH indiviudals questions we have developed on our own. I can definitely appreciate the need to let Hearing indiviuals know what to expect but being negative sends the wrong message. Iam Hearing and reading some of the questions posed by other Hearing members does put me to shame. However those "silly's" still need help to better understand the Deaf community. Educate them.

hello everyone! from florida

Never done this before. I am a profound with very few friends because I am not good enough for deaf or hearing world, am good enough for Jesus!!! That is all that matters and besides I know who I am.
I was raised by a hearing family without sign language until the age of 14.
I can speak and do sign language, just not as well as other hearing and deaf people.

I hope to expand my world with new friends!

Indeed, I am here seeking to ask a question...

Hello, my name is Diana Lorene. I am 48 year old and in 1st semester English comp class. The assigned essay is on noise abatement. I have not been instructed to speak with a deaf person or anyone; but, I keep thinking I need the viewpoint of a person who has never experienced sound to express their personal definition of noise. I believe that we all as individuals are subjected to noise in some form whether verbal or otherwise...noise, as in our personal comfort zone has been interrupted by it. Is there someone here who is willing to respond to this question? Thank-you for your consideration and/or response. ~Diana Lorene~

How about putting all the old ones (questions and answers) into one catagory? That would make it easier for the new people to find it and do the research there.

Ok go ahead and do it. I think it will not kill a person to do a little work to find the infor themselves. When I was in college to be a social worker , I did not go on line and ask people questions, I had to go shelters and safe houses
for women and talk and listen to people. Then right my own thoughts on what I saw and heard. I did get sick and was not able to stay in college.

Face to Face...or the point won't get across.

I would definitely say that face to face is the way to go on that one! I think alot of the problem is that the students (and yes I am one of them) aren't willing to or have the gonads to go 'speak' to a Deaf or HH individual. I wish they all had my teacher! She will not tolerate such disrespect from students toward the deaf culture. We are mandated to do 10hrs minimum of face to face conversation with members of the Deaf community and thats just the first semester. Its goes up and up as school goes on. I have found the Deaf community that I have been exposed to very excepting of myself and my husband (plus when we screw up they like a good laugh). We are both taking up ASL to better our involvement with those who may need it, he is a police officer and I an EMT/firefighter. We chose ASL because it is a necessity (we feel) in our duty as public servants. Sure, we could take up Spanish but I'm exposed to more deaf and hh than Spanish. (Never cared much to learn it anyway!) I just get agitated at some of the people I've run across that say why are you doing ASL? Why don't you just let the hospital worry about it? Thats pretty much crap as far as I'm concerned! My job is to help the sick and injured...how can I do that effectively and correctly if I can't speak to them? Oops...sorry I got off on a tangent! Students...they are right...go to the local hall and hang out and play Dingo for Gods sake or watch a ball game or play Euchre with them...stop being sissys...and by the way, they need to make fun of somebody else besides me and my husband!!!

I would definitely say that face to face is the way to go on that one! I think alot of the problem is that the students (and yes I am one of them) aren't willing to or have the gonads to go 'speak' to a Deaf or HH individual. I wish they all had my teacher! She will not tolerate such disrespect from students toward the deaf culture. We are mandated to do 10hrs minimum of face to face conversation with members of the Deaf community and thats just the first semester. Its goes up and up as school goes on. I have found the Deaf community that I have been exposed to very excepting of myself and my husband (plus when we screw up they like a good laugh). We are both taking up ASL to better our involvement with those who may need it, he is a police officer and I an EMT/firefighter. We chose ASL because it is a necessity (we feel) in our duty as public servants. Sure, we could take up Spanish but I'm exposed to more deaf and hh than Spanish. (Never cared much to learn it anyway!) I just get agitated at some of the people I've run across that say why are you doing ASL? Why don't you just let the hospital worry about it? Thats pretty much crap as far as I'm concerned! My job is to help the sick and injured...how can I do that effectively and correctly if I can't speak to them? Oops...sorry I got off on a tangent! Students...they are right...go to the local hall and hang out and play Dingo for Gods sake or watch a ball game or play Euchre with them...stop being sissys...and by the way, they need to make fun of somebody else besides me and my husband!!!

That's very nice. But you need to make your own introduction thread as this is not one. It has a different purpose.

Back