Attention deaf adults/Parents with deaf children Methodologies:

What educational approach were you in while growing up?

• Cued Speech

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Oral

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Total Communication (TC)

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • bilingual-bicultural (Bi-Bi)

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Before I begin, This thread is relating to individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing and Parents of deaf/cochlear implant children. If you are not deaf, hard of hearing or not a Parents of deaf/cochlear implant children please refrain from posting on this thread. Thank you in advance. ;)

This is basically a personal experience thread, I would like you to vote and tell me what personal experience of educational approach did you had while growing up?

And Parents of deaf/cochlear implant children-What approach (methodology) have you enrolled your child in?

I was mainstreamed and oral. My hearing loss is in the severe/profound range, so I am not totally deaf.

The only sign I really knew as a kid was just from playing with other kids, and a little bit from visits with my grandparents. None in school at all.

Still taking ASL classes right now.

Edit = To help Daredevel7 with her research, I am prelingual deaf.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that this poll is a multiple choice poll in case anyone had more than one method of educational approaches. ;)

You know what kind of statistics Id be really curious about?
% of prelingual deaf people who were raised oral only and % of prelingual deaf people who were raised oral only who were happy with it.

Actually... that would apply for any method. Doesnt have to be oral only.

-Oral
-Cued Speech
-Total Communication (in high school)

You know what kind of statistics Id be really curious about?
% of prelingual deaf people who were raised oral only and % of prelingual deaf people who were raised oral only who were happy with it.

Actually... that would apply for any method. Doesnt have to be oral only.

That would be a very interesting study, indeed. We have had some informal data right here on AD. It would be interesting to compile the result of the many, many comments that have been made in regard to that question.

And Parents of deaf/cochlear implant children-What approach (methodology) have you enrolled your child in?
We started with sign-language and she was in a "deaf" kindergarden from age 1-1/2 (when we found out she was deaf) until she was 4. From there on she has been in mainstream education.

2008-08: Mainstream School (6y. old)
2006-10: All-hearing Kindergarten (4y. old)
2004-11: CI activated (27 m. old)
2004-10: Bi-lateral CI (26 m. old)
2003-08: Deaf/HOH/CI Pre-school/Kindergarten (12m. old)
2003-07: HA's fitted (11 m. old)
2003-02: Diagnosed deaf. Start sign-language (7m. old)
2002-08: Born - A fierce LION

That would be a very interesting study, indeed. We have had some informal data right here on AD. It would be interesting to compile the result of the many, many comments that have been made in regard to that question.

I'm not too sure if that's an accurate representation of the deaf population. To be quite honest with you, I probably would have never have gotten involved in AD if I wasn't getting a CI soon AND if I wasn't involved in a group that helps find jobs for people with various disabilities. I'm glad I did though. And also, collecting info from here IS a start.

I'm not too sure if that's an accurate representation of the deaf population. To be quite honest with you, I probably would have never have gotten involved in AD if I wasn't getting a CI soon AND if I wasn't involved in a group that helps find jobs for people with various disabilities. I'm glad I did though. And also, collecting info from here IS a start.

A true representation would require random selection from the population as a whole. That holds true with any study. Here on AD, we do have, however, a wide spread of age and educational level, a good representation of various geographic regions (inlcuding some from outside the U.S.), various experience with various linguistic systems, and a wide range of family and social histories. I think we could get accurate data that could serve as the foundation for conclusions that could result in additional studies using randomized selection and assignment.

We must tkeep in mind, thought, that it is very difficult to design a study including randomized selection and assignment given the very nature of educational research. But the study can be designed using methodology that compensates for that fact.

As for me, I've had 2 different methodologies while growing up.

Total Communication and BiBi were the methodologies that I've learned through.

As for my kids (yes they're deaf) - They are also with the approach of Total Communication and BiBi as well.

I grew up homeschooled.

My mother taught ASL--my grandmother taught oralism.. I guess that would be T.C.

When Ally was around--she was in a Bi-Bi program.

I have Severe Profound hearing. I've been mainstreamed and oral all the way. It was rough....

hey! what you doing in here!
fitz.gif

I'm all mixed up more like multiple languages: first started with Oral, ASL, SEE, and then TC.

Back