At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

• Driving legal at age 16

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Driving legal at age 18

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Driving legal at age 21

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Any other ages than 16, 18 and 21 ?

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Heath said:
Use your common sense , no there is probably not a sign language exchange program, much less one for the families.

Liebling can make her own decisions and keeping her family's safety in mind. I am sure she would like to meet some of the AllDeaf readers in real life.

"Use your common sense"?

Let's wait for Liebling's answer...

I am sure Gallaudet does sponsor sign language exchanges from time to time but on a Deaf family-wide scale? That could be something to look into.

Yeah , let's wait and see what Liebling has to say.

wow, Mookie and Health...

Well we would go to America when my children are oldest if I didn´t meet my dearest ADer friends...

I will go to America to attend ^Angel^ and RR´s wedding as bridemaid... :D Of course I will meet more ADers at their wedding...:D It´s lovely to see them in real life... Sure, I will try to understand what America like when I see America... I mean public transportation etc....

Liebling:-))) said:
Oookayyy - What's about public bus? example about children school bus if the children lives in outside of city (farm/countryside).. What about that?
Public schools have buses for students until they graduate from high school.

Liebling:-))) said:
Alot Americans are for public transportation since gasoline expense...

Should local governments spend more money to improve public transportation?
http://student-voices.org/discussio...iscussionID=396
That is one college in one town in America. That is not "alot" of Americans.

Yes, some people support more public transportation. But the link you are using doesn't prove anything.

Well, there're no hot summer at 6.00 am but cool and fresh air weather or no hill but down to town thru forest... when I rode with bike to work for 5 miles.
You see, big difference. At 6:00 a.m. here in the summer it is at least 80 degrees, high humidity, no breeze. Most people have to travel at least 15 miles to work. Many places do not have places to shower at work (there are no showers where I work).

Sometimes I have to travel from one job to another, two or three times during the day, about 36 miles each way. I have only 45 minutes between jobs (sometimes less). There is no way I could get there on a bike.

So, it is just not possible for everyone to ride bikes or buses for work.

I wish we could but it just isn't possible here.

Reba said:
Public schools have buses for students until they graduate from high school.
Depend on how far school to our home. With us, we dont get bus for my kids so I drove them to school and bring them home twice a day. I won't let them walk or ride bike on hot summer days alike 100 degree or higher or during cold winter which sometime down to 20 degree . Plus not safe for them to walk or ride bike to school and back home. Too many kids get beat up or killed by car.

I'm 22 and still don't have a drivers license. I take subways everywhere but I would still like to have a license in case I decide to move out of the city.

However I think the age should be atleast 18 since most accidents tend to happen with younger drivers playing race car on the streets.
21 would be even better but since by 18 most are graduated from high school and are either working or in college or both it wouldn't be practical.

I think age 20 or 21 would be most ideal. Many late teens are way immature than we were in their age back then especially in the farther past in fact.

Just look at the accident facts it showed young teens are the highest car accident causers .. and that's old news but lot more nowadays. Also due to the drugs and such things that don't mix so that adds up more.

Yeah, governments have been sleepy in that area for a long time. It's way overdue for them to change the law.

Sure there are some good teen drivers but I speak for the general in the US that is where we're considered at most.

I'd prefer 21 because that would help teenagers to IGNORE the worthless cars, and learn how to live. If we do that, then we don't need to restrict that much against teenager drinking alcohol.

The problem is, teenagers need to be capable of driving in order to attend their college classes or get to their workplaces. Public transportation and parents aren't always reliable when it come to that. Plus it teaches them about self-responsiblity.

I think Public transport should be improved. After all not all teenagers will be driving. Teenagers that are blind or epileptic simply can't drive so will have to rely on public transport anyway. So will teens who's parents can't or won't supply them with cars for financial or ethnical reasons.

I voted 21. I think that there are too many cars on the road anyway and too many traffic accidents.

I got my license almost near 18 yrs old on the day my sister was born. I believe 18 -20 yrs because they are legal adult. Depending on how responsible they are. Most states have learner's permit. In New Hampshire don't have learner's permit but Maine does have one. Here's the link for the USA and just click on where you live.

DMV Department of Motor Vehicles Guide - DMV.ORG

voted 18 years old

18 years old need drive to college from dorm or rent apt.

other one I support 16 years old can drive who live in farm area only.

16 is best ideal to learn how to drive better than late. Research saying that teenage able to improve to drive better than after 18 as stink driving. There is law that underage cannot drive at night.

I dislike the idea that some parents aren't allow their children to learn to drive so late or even after 18. Oh geez.

Unless, they make wise to not trust their child to drive... but don't be over-worry. heh

I support not getting your drivers licenses til 18. And I've read this whole thread.. I have to say I strongly doubt The South has less accidents than the north. I've lived in NC for almost 2 years now, and I've seen multiple accidents. I grew up in the north, and I've seen multiple accidents there as well. So i strongly doubt either is better than the other.

it doesn't matter what age you are, there's always going to be accidents. No matter how smart we are, we're all going to make stupid mistakes.

I think Public transport should be improved. After all not all teenagers will be driving. Teenagers that are blind or epileptic simply can't drive so will have to rely on public transport anyway. So will teens who's parents can't or won't supply them with cars for financial or ethnical reasons.

I voted 21. I think that there are too many cars on the road anyway and too many traffic accidents.
Why voted 21? People between 17 and 21 have to go to work to earn a living or go to school somewhere. I can not drive my 20 years old son to work everyday and pick him up from work that is alike 45 min drive from here to there. Plus I have to work myself. He drives fine since he was 15. Plus he race four wheeler in the desert, that is his passion. why forbid anyone under 21 to drive?

Got a learner's permit at age 16 (during I was taking Driver Education class)
Got a driver license at 18
Got a own car at 21

I prefer ONE teen driver in a car. With adults or relative OK. Rather not wanna to see full of teenagers in a car. That make my heart ache.

I prefer startin' at the age of 16 with permit license after takin' Drivin' Ed class. I agree with some of you talkin' about teens drivin' to their part-time jobs. It will save their parents' time from drivin' them everywhere. And, also it's good for them to learn how to be responsibility to take care of their " drivin' ". IF, they neglect their drivin', then let it be a lesson for them to learn. They need somethin' to teach them. It's all about " life "..........

One thing I like about our law, they take control over teen's driving if they do something wrong and they take their license away till they turn 18. If they are good and behavior let them keep their licenses. It works wonder here.

I also perfer 16 to get license and practice till they getting better once they got out of high school and goes on life instead of 18 or 21 since they are no difference from inexperience 16 years olds. Inexpereince drivers, any ages are not the worldest safe drivers till they drive all the time and become expert.

Back