At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

• Driving legal at age 16

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Driving legal at age 18

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Driving legal at age 21

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Any other ages than 16, 18 and 21 ?

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
...Why should 21 be for anyone then how come 18 or 20 cant go to school or work?
True. Many people age 18 move out of their parents' home. They can't depend on mommy or daddy for a ride to work or college.

People under 21 years old join the military and drive armored vehicles and tanks, pilot planes and helicopters, steer boats, ships, and submarines. I think they could drive a car. :P

They do not stay live with their parents forever. U tell me my son can not drive to work and work on the cars that is his job and drive customers cars to see it runs allright?
That's right. Many jobs require a driver's license. Young people who deliver pizzas, newspapers, auto parts, etc., need to drive.

My husband finally grew up after he turned 45ish with his driving, umm maybe not he still drive fast sometime.
Do husbands ever really grow up completely? :lol:

Yeah right. I knew someone got killed at age 24 by driving 100 mph two months ago so don't tell me 18 or 21 are more mature than 16. It is individual who need to grow up whether they are 30 or 25 or 16..
Why should 21 be for anyone then how come 18 or 20 cant go to school or work? They do not stay live with their parents forever. U tell me my son can not drive to work and work on the cars that is his job and drive customers cars to see it runs allright? My husband finally grew up after he turned 45ish with his driving, umm maybe not he still drive fast sometime.

Huh? I'm not talking to you... And, i dont need a negative respond from you. You are now on my ignorelist. Thank you.

21. Why? Because you cannot drink here until you are that old. You should not be allowed a vehicle that can kill OTHER people while the law says you're not yet ready to take on the responsibility of drinking. Driving is much bigger.

21. Why? Because you cannot drink here until you are that old. You should not be allowed a vehicle that can kill OTHER people while the law says you're not yet ready to take on the responsibility of drinking. Driving is much bigger.

Much bigger than drinking ;)

It did not say anything about drinking. It say what age should start to have driver's license.

Huh? I'm not talking to you... And, i dont need a negative respond from you. You are now on my ignorelist. Thank you.
Your welcome. :) Put me on your first ingoreslist I ever been on and I do not really care cuz I now know u can not handle it debate here.

Your welcome. :) Put me on your first ingoreslist I ever been on and I do not really care cuz I now know u can not handle it debate here.

Ahh…Well, it seems pretty obvious. I mean, the way you had been finding me, all your #120 post did was “attacked” my #15 post and it seems to me that you were enjoyed to do it because you just like to hurt the feeling. How sweet of you, aren’t ya?

Hell, I just got your AD user off on my ignorelist yesterday ‘cause I thought you left me alone for awhile since I posted the #122. But, let me ask you a simple question. Why were you talking to me at the first place?

Well, I am going to tell you one truth: you are absolutely right, for a reason, I’m not good at any kind of on-topic debate … unless I know how to answer a kind of question if possible. However, let me tell you a positive thing. I actually do enjoy to read those debate threads because of “good” education in my own view of the opinion. Why? I learned many things from them.

*sighs* Hmm… If I were you - I just would give a person an amiable explanation about my own disagreement against her #15 post. Because if you did… then it should not have a problem, believe me. Really, I dont want to have more enemies. In my life, I do many enemies... (=_=)

*sighs* Now, I have to put you on my ignorelist again, fortunate for you, I will never remove your AD user, Jazzy, from the list again. :thumb: I, indeed, dont want to read your posts anymore.

Fyi, you are not the first person on that list but the second person who is now on my ignorelist - It’s someone else who was the first person on the ignorelist for one personal reason. :)

Farewell forever for now, at the last...

*putting Jazzy on the ignorelist again*

In New Zealand the legal age is 15 years old can get driver license. As most young teens lives in rural farm area, towns that got no public transports to get to places. So better option for them to get license, to be able to drive car, small truck, motorbike, and ATV on farm, town etc.

For my own opinion I reckon it should be 18 years old to get driver license.

Ahh…Well, it seems pretty obvious. I mean, the way you had been finding me, all your #120 post did was “attacked” my #15 post and it seems to me that you were enjoyed to do it because you just like to hurt the feeling. How sweet of you, aren’t ya?

Hell, I just got your AD user off on my ignorelist yesterday ‘cause I thought you left me alone for awhile since I posted the #122. But, let me ask you a simple question. Why were you talking to me at the first place?

Well, I am going to tell you one truth: you are absolutely right, for a reason, I’m not good at any kind of on-topic debate … unless I know how to answer a kind of question if possible. However, let me tell you a positive thing. I actually do enjoy to read those debate threads because of “good” education in my own view of the opinion. Why? I learned many things from them.

*sighs* Hmm… If I were you - I just would give a person an amiable explanation about my own disagreement against her #15 post. Because if you did… then it should not have a problem, believe me. Really, I dont want to have more enemies. In my life, I do many enemies... (=_=)

*sighs* Now, I have to put you on my ignorelist again, fortunate for you, I will never remove your AD user, Jazzy, from the list again. :thumb: I, indeed, dont want to read your posts anymore.

Fyi, you are not the first person on that list but the second person who is now on my ignorelist - It’s someone else who was the first person on the ignorelist for one personal reason. :)

Farewell forever for now, at the last...

*putting Jazzy on the ignorelist again*

What make u think I am your enemy? It is normal for 20 years old to say things like that and I am too old for this. If u find my words too harsh then u may misunderstood me which it happens often. People tend to misunderstood me all the time so I am usually being careful with words but if u find it too harsh from me then I apolozied but those words are from my own expeirnces and beliefs. I came here to debate with anyone else, not u at all because now I know ur not feeling comfy with me and I think I know why but not my business to butt in. Good luck with your life. I am done here.

P.S. I am talking to general when I posted on your posted, justing saying my pov not meaning direct to u only. This is public forum for anyone to read.

Permit license for 16 years old and full license for 18 years old and over.

For you all Australians - you might know about this or not..

In Canberra, the captial City of Australia.

The licence law is different than the other states.

- Learners permit is 15 and 9 months. Licenence valid for two years.
- At 17 years old, they can get their P's (Provisional Licence), this licence has no limits on speed - they are allowed to drive up to 110km/hr on highways.
- They can use horsepower cars, like V8's for example. (They have to be careful
- The P's are for three years, they must display their red P plates on the car for three years, unless you are on your P's for more than 6 months, they can take the "P off course" which you attend a 3 hour workshop and listen and discuss different issues about roadready then you are certified not to display the P plates on the car for the rest of the remaining years and extra 4 points on your licence.
- When you get the P's, there is no tests required, they only have to pass the eye test, easy done.
- once the three year probation has passed, they are automatically upgraded to full driver's licence - no tests needed. :bowdown:

BUT

For Sydney - way very different.

-They are eligbilbe for L's at 16 (I think) and they have to complete 150 hours or more while holding Learner's Licence and only drive up to 80km/hr.
- at 17, they are eligible for the Red P's - they have to Pass the test, if so, they are allowed to have the RED P's for 12 months, and when the 12 months ends, they have to do another test for GREEN P's which will hold for the next two years.
- the two colored P's have the difference, the law has changed recently.

RED P's - They only allowed to drive up to 90km/hr, nothing over.
they are restricted to one passenger per car, and they have a night time curfew I think ( I am not sure)

GREEN P's - They are only allowed to drive up to 100km/hr.

Once the Green P's two year has ended, they have to pass for the full driver's licence, if they fail, they will remain on their P's as they are extended for another 6 months.

For both P licence holders, they are restricted to drive 4 clyinder and 6 clyinder cars, they are not allowed to drive horsepower cars like turbo, V6's, and V8's - they are forbidden until they gain their full licence.

Lucky, for myself, as an Canberran, I am getting my new Full drivers licence only next month... one month to go :D

That law is better than our laws in USA... Our laws in USA was very horrible, especially if we live in most populated states like California.

That's why I am against teen drivers...

Half kids who died in crashes had teen drivers

Two thirds of young passengers also weren't wearing seat belts, study says

Lauren Phillips, 15, left, talks with Rosie Jermakian, 16, after they rode home from school with Kristin Phillips, 18, right, in Bethesda, Md. Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teens, and a new study outlines the most dangerous circumstances for young passengers.

CHICAGO - Car crashes are the leading cause of death for tweens and teens, and a new study outlines some of the most dangerous circumstances: riding unbuckled with new teen drivers on high-speed roads.

These were the three biggest risk factors contributing to car crash deaths for passengers aged 8 to 17, the study found.

While young drivers have higher chances of dying, the six-year study focused on nearly 10,000 children passengers who were killed in car crashes. More than half — 54 percent — were riding with a teen driver. Drivers younger than 16 were the most dangerous.

Also, more than three-quarters of the fatal crashes occurred on roads with speed limits higher than 45 mph, and nearly two-thirds of the young passengers were not wearing seat belts, the researchers found.

Other dangerous circumstances for young passengers included drivers who’d been drinking alcohol, male teen drivers, and driving on weekends.

The message for parents is simple and sobering: Don’t let your teen ride with a teen driver who has less than a year’s experience driving. Insist on seat belts. And practice ways teens can resist peer pressure to ride with other teens, said Dr. Flaura Koplin Winston of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, the study’s lead author.

“Knowing the risks can help parents and teens make smart decisions about which rides are safe, and which ones are off limits,” said Winston, the founder of the hospital’s Center for Injury Research and Prevention.

The researchers examined national data on serious car crashes including those resulting in death between 2000 and 2005. During that time, 2.5 million children aged 8 to 17 were involved in crashes and 9,807 died.

Risk of death is double if driver is a teen
The risk of death for kids riding with drivers aged 16 to 19 was at least double that of those riding with drivers aged 25 and older. There were about two deaths per 1,000 crashes for young passengers with 25-plus drivers, versus more than four deaths in the younger group.

The study, conducted with State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., appears in the March edition of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. State Farm funded the research.

Recent federal data indicate that the percentage of U.S. 16-year-olds with driver’s licenses has fallen since 1998 (from roughly 44 percent to about 30 percent), during a time when restrictions on teen driving generally increased.

But no states have all the restrictions recommended by State Farm, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Philadelphia hospital.

For example, they say the minimum age for a learner’s permits should be 16. But nine states grant them to 14-year-olds and at least 30 others give them to 15-year-olds. Also, the groups say drivers younger than 18 should not be allowed to have more than one teen passenger without adult supervision, but only 34 states have that restriction, according to data provided by the hospital and State Farm.

Rosie Jermakian, a Bethesda, Md., 16-year-old, said the study results hit home, particularly because of a recent spate of teen car crashes in the Washington, D.C. area, including one that involved a friend. Rosie’s stepmother does research at the Philadelphia hospital but was not involved in the study.

“Teen drivers don’t always think,” said Rosie, who has a learner’s permit and hopes to get her license soon. “Sometimes they think they’re just in this little bubble where they can’t get hurt and they don’t really think of the consequences.”

Winston, the study author, said that means teen passengers and their parents have to take precautions, and the Jermakian family does.

“I’ve told her flat out, in regard to some of her friends who I don’t believe have been well taught in these areas, that she is not to get in a car with them driving,” said Joel Jermakian, Rosie’s father.

Her parents also have told her to call them for a ride if she ever faces a potentially dangerous driving situation.

Jermakian said the study “reminds us that in raising teens, constant dialogue about all these kinds of things is important.”

Half kids who died in crashes had teen drivers - Kids and parenting - MSNBC.com

Attachments

• AP_TeenCrashes.gif
    AP_TeenCrashes.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 2
I was checked on Heath's post and he's not right.

For full driver license, most southern states are require 16 years old or over to receive that, just depends on states and just like rest of USA. I had found about southern states does have some of most fatal accident for teens but cannot found statistic and ust only found from local media, such as newspaper in last few years ago. I had seen alot of car accident in Atlanta area when I was visit here, none of area are perfect to be safe for teen driving.
Driver& - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that obtain the full driver license would require 18 years old or over because it allows to have more time for teens to focus on education, life and learn about how real world looks like that instead of being crazy and stupid on driving. I don't agree with few members about 21 years old because of they need car for job or college, there's not much area of USA has good public transportation, certain area don't have like that and parents have different time, such as drive to work or somewhere to keep busy, that wouldn't give an enough time for 18-20 years old to get on somewhere, also I need car for my job and I never got any tickets since start drive at 18.

True. Many people age 18 move out of their parents' home. They can't depend on mommy or daddy for a ride to work or college.

People under 21 years old join the military and drive armored vehicles and tanks, pilot planes and helicopters, steer boats, ships, and submarines. I think they could drive a car. :P

That's right. Many jobs require a driver's license. Young people who deliver pizzas, newspapers, auto parts, etc., need to drive.

Do husbands ever really grow up completely? :lol:

Yup, got agree with you.

Well all I can say is that if I was 16 years old, I'd rather to walk down to the store and grab some of beers to have some fun than just driving sucking out of my money big time.

Every states and other countires have differet laws for ages of teenagers to be driving. You really don't need to provide the link for that. Whenever you believe or not, each states laws have different driving laws on teenagers to drive. My cousin lives in Florida,, he started driving when he was 14. But when I was growing up in New Jersey living with my grandma for a while it was age 16 but got a learner permit at 15 years old. I am sure there lot of different state laws on driving not share the same age number ages on teen driving. :)

Every states and other countires have differet laws for ages of teenagers to be driving. You really don't need to provide the link for that. Whenever you believe or not, each states laws have different driving laws on teenagers to drive. My cousin lives in Florida,, he started driving when he was 14. But when I was growing up in New Jersey living with my grandma for a while it was age 16 but got a learner permit at 15 years old. I am sure there lot of different state laws on driving not share the same age number ages on teen driving. :)

Yes, we already debated about this but I only ask for your opinion what you think it's sense to allow teenagers to drive or not? Which age, you prefer to allow your children to drive, that's what I want to ask about.

A bit bewildered.....when you post on a 'forum'...you are basically talking to everyone....that is the definition of forum.:dunno2:

I see this on occasion and scratch my head.

Back