AT&T's new data plans - not good news.

Sword7

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I heard that AT&T recently announced new data plans on starting June 7. That will be new 200MB and 2GB metered data plans. Any usage over 200MB/2GB will be additional $10 each 200MB/1GB unit. That is not good news for deafies that use videophone, etc.

I searched for new TAP plans and found them. I learned that new TAP plans follows that regular data plans on starting June 7. That will be new 200MB or 2GB TAP plans now includes tethering. Yes, new 2GB TAP plan includes tethering would be $65.

What do you think about that?

Thanks,
Sword7

Hello folks,

I heard that AT&T recently announced new data plans on starting June 7. That will be new 200MB and 2GB metered data plans. Any usage over 200MB/2GB will be additional $10 each 200MB/1GB unit. That is not good news for deafies that use videophone, etc.

I searched for new TAP plans and found them. I learned that new TAP plans follows that regular data plans on starting June 7. That will be new 200MB or 2GB TAP plans now includes tethering. Yes, new 2GB TAP plan includes tethering would be $65.

What do you think about that?

Thanks,
Sword7

Yeah, I think to keep my current account for my iPhone. $65 for 2GB and tethering. Too much. If getting upgrade 4.0 OS or buy new next-gen iphone, I may get jailbreak MyWi.

Yeah, I think to keep my current account for my iPhone. $65 for 2GB and tethering. Too much. If getting upgrade 4.0 OS or buy new next-gen iphone, I may get jailbreak MyWi.

Unauthorized tethering violates att term of service/contract and if you accept the consequence to lose the service, along with ETF on your bill so that's fine. I just take my risk as well because Verizon doesn't allow unauthorized tethering.

Unauthorized tethering violates att term of service/contract and if you accept the consequence to lose the service, along with ETF on your bill so that's fine. I just take my risk as well because Verizon doesn't allow unauthorized tethering.

I still have iPhone OS 3.0 and Benm tethering since September. not Jailbreak. No penalty from AT&T. But I will upgrade OS 4.0 and will lose Benm tethering.

I still have iPhone OS 3.0 and Benm tethering since September. not Jailbreak. No penalty from AT&T. But I will upgrade OS 4.0 and will lose Benm tethering.

because you don't use alot to be make notice by att.

because you don't use alot to be make notice by att.

Yes Turn off tethering for now. I used P3 that myiPhone tether my netbook without WiFi hotspots area if necessary.

Geez, I would have to pay more if that's true. I currently pay around $42 a month with taxes and insurance included.

Well thanks to the Iphoney and Ipaddy people that are bandwidth hogs on the celltowers for ending unlimited data plans. I saw the writing on the wall of this one coming when Iphoneys were first released and now the Ipaddys are hogging up the bandwidth.

Tsk tsk tsk

Last edited:
Geez, I would have to pay more if that's true. I currently pay around $42 a month with taxes and insurance included.

You will plan to buy next gen iPhone? or HTC EVO 4G?

My contract ends on Nov 2010...I don't know what phone I want next.

well, sprint havent changed anything yet and its about same what you are paying now. If you go with them, you get a "locked in rate" for 2 years so nothing to worry about.

Well thanks to the Iphoney and Ipaddy people that are bandwidth hogs on the celltowers for ending unlimited data plans. I saw the writing on the wall of this one coming when Iphoneys were first released and now the Ipaddys are hogging up the bandwidth.

Tsk tsk tsk

BB will get tiered data too, not only for iPhone. ;)

Attention

AT&T warns customer that emailing the CEO will result in a cease and desist letter

Sure, Steve Jobs might be a one-man email PR machine, but his pal Randall Stephenson at AT&T doesn't appear to be quite as gregarious -- as reader Giorgio Galante found out today, sending AT&T's CEO two emails in two weeks results in a phone call from AT&T's Executive Response Team and a warning that further emails will result in a cease and desist letter. What did Giorgio's emails say? The first was a request to bump up his iPhone eligibility date and a request for a tethering option, and today's outlined his displeasure with AT&T's new data rates and ultimate decision to switch to Sprint and the EVO 4G. That prompted "Brent" to call Giorgio back and thank him for the feedback, but also politely warn him that further emails would be met with legal action. Ouch. As you'd expect, AT&T just lost itself a customer. We've followed up with Ma Bell to find out exactly why they went the lawyer route instead of oh, say, filtering Randall's email -- we'll let you know what they say.

P.S.- Amusingly, Giorgio says he emailed both Randall Stephenson and Steve Jobs last year about offering tethering and actually got a response from Steve -- maybe these two CEOs need to talk about more than data rates and service quality the next time they meet up.

AT&T warns customer that emailing the CEO will result in a cease and desist letter -- Engadget

Back