ASL word for signing (shape 5-S) vs sign language (shape 1 then shape L)

positvesigner

Reaction score
ASL for sign language itself is two separate words: signing (both hands shape 1 circling around each other) and language (both hands shape L separating from each other). Speaking using your hands is a single word: signing (both hands shape 5 closing to shape S, then repeat downward).

As I am not proficient in ASL, I would like to know which one to use when asking about an ASL word that I do not understand. "That (signing), means what?"

- Should I use the signing (shape 1) or signing (shape 5-S) for this question?

I would skip that all together and just sign, "MEANING?" with eyebrows down, tbh. But I'm still new to learning, too.

ASL for sign language itself is two separate words: signing (both hands shape 1 circling around each other) and language (both hands shape L separating from each other). Speaking using your hands is a single word: signing (both hands shape 5 closing to shape S, then repeat downward).

As I am not proficient in ASL, I would like to know which one to use when asking about an ASL word that I do not understand. "That (signing), means what?"

- Should I use the signing (shape 1) or signing (shape 5-S) for this question?
I think I would use shape 1 for that question.

Shape 5s I think it's usually use for to describe signing in general or the fluently someone's level or just the love of ASL. Hard to describe lol.

Hope that helps

Back