ASL, why keep embracing it

Yes ASL is difficult/a challenge to learn (even for an oral deaf person I knew). I picked it up pretty quickly at age 18 as did other oral deaf (a few in their 20s even), but then I look at this way- ANY language is difficult to learn. English is- even for native speakers.

So with you longing for a time where everyone can communicate- you are also implying you'd like to see one universal spoken language no? No more Spanish, German, Italian etc etc (or no more English for that matter). You are going to have a lot of mad people in that case.... :)

I don't see deafness or ASL going away any time soon. As I think I mentioned, IF there is a 'cure', there will still be people who cannot have it done.. or maybe don't WANT to.

So until we have telepathy down pat, I'd say ASL ain't going anywhere. BTW... you do come off as insulting- unfortunately more so in your most recent post. If you don't need us, why come and ask the question you wanted to know?

Relax- everyone here was expressing their own opinion/view- some more strongly than others.

I still don't understand why ASL has to be destroyed to accomplish his goal. That doesn't make any sense. Great post DeafDucky!

No I am not being uncivil or a troll and the whole reason I brought this up is because of the difficulty level learning ASL not just from a deaf or HOH persons point of view but for those who wish to communicate to us.

It takes a lot of time and effort to learn ASL-it really does. I know that ASL works for some but not for most because of the time required to learn it and because you must practice it or you lose some of it.

I only said "will ruffle some feathers" because when you consider ASL a culture rather than a tool people will get mad and they have from what I have seen on some cruel posts.

My take is if we do not look ahead how can we move ahead? Im not putting ASL down at all just trying to look forward and hopefully progress so that someday everyone can communicate without having to learn a different culture. That is what I pray for, it is what I long for and though I am confident it will happen, I would just love to see it in my lifetime.

I have not posted because I have not been able to reply until now. Anyway-you all proved my point because getting combative and insulting will not lead to progress in your culture. I will seek out my own culture or methods. I dont need you or anyone else here for that matter.

Your hearing culture do call each other dumb*** when it is warranted. You are the one who came in here saying that we isolate ourselves and that our culture is going to be obsolete. If you wanted a civil dialogue, use your words wisely so they dont appear as condensing and offensive which they did in your first post. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
No I am not being uncivil or a troll and the whole reason I brought this up is because of the difficulty level learning ASL not just from a deaf or HOH persons point of view but for those who wish to communicate to us.

It takes a lot of time and effort to learn ASL-it really does. I know that ASL works for some but not for most because of the time required to learn it and because you must practice it or you lose some of it.

My take is if we do not look ahead how can we move ahead? Im not putting ASL down at all just trying to look forward and hopefully progress so that someday everyone can communicate without having to learn a different culture. That is what I pray for, it is what I long for and though I am confident it will happen, I would just love to see it in my lifetime.

I'm a hearing person that is losing my hearing. I think you are selling yourself short. Hearing people talk, and deaf people sign. ASL reaches the heart of a deaf person. Sure, there are other ways to communicate; text, email, but these require fluency in english. How do you express your deepest, inner most feelings in writing? and once in writing can you trust that it will always remain private? ASL is like verbal communication. At that moment you can exchange expressions from the heart that is undocumented.

Why have an all technology or no ASL mentality? Learn ASL in addition to all the technology that you are using now. You don't have to give up your current circle of friends.. Just add new friends or have another group of friends; friends that sign.

ASL is difficult to learn, yes. I'm learning it now myself, because I hope when I am no longer able to hear, I'll be fluent in ASL. I've made many mistakes; humiliating ones to. I tried to tell my guy friend that he was handsome, and I ended up using the wrong sign. It ruined a romantic moment, because he had to correct me and teach me the correct sign. My point is, you just have to start signing, and along the way, you will meet some wonderful deaf people who will show you the correct signs, and as you progress, you will understand more than ASL. You will understand Deaf culture, and make new friends. I've learned so much from hanging out with the deaf. Some of them are the most witty, and warm and fuzzy people I've ever known. I go to deaf events now, and get hugs from all my friends.

Don't close the door to ASL. Include it

#WHYISIGN from Facebook, I am VERY impressed with several parents who found out that their children were born Deaf. They learn ASL right away.. They sign so GOOD that I am shocked that I couldn't tell if they just learned ASL very recently. They even made effort to be participating with the Deaf community for their Deaf kids. *thud*

One, because American Sign Language (ASL) is an actual language therefore it has no expiration. Just like English is an actual language and obviously it will never expires either just like you are typing in English.

Saying ASL is obsoleted is like saying English or other languages are too obsoleted. ;) Sure there are technology and believe it we are taking advantage of these in every ways we can but ASL is always will be naive language for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing people just like English for the hearing people. Ditching ASL is like ditching English then how can you communicate? Boop boop boop-ba-boop via technology?

#WHYISIGN from Facebook, I am VERY impressed with several parents who found out that their children were born Deaf. They learn ASL right away.. They sign so GOOD that I am shocked that I couldn't tell if they just learned ASL very recently. They even made effort to be participating with the Deaf community for their Deaf kids. *thud*

Thats awesome of them!

WOW how I missed the friendly conversations here. My 2.5 cents. ASL, English, Spanish will go the way of Latin in time, might be 100 years or 2000. In the short time people have been communicating on this planet the oral communication has lost languages and gained some. Like the American is a mixture of many different nations. Signing has also been around for 1000s of years, when 2 could not talk to each other they made gestures to convey the thought and like most languages has evolved to what we use today, granted most of the evolution was in the past 100 years.
Technology is great and getting better but has a long way to go and like anything not everyone will use it. It does not hurt to learn a little of anything and for me when a hearie try's to sign it is pleasing. I am sure as much as trying to speak to another person in their language makes them happy of the effort.

I know I will ruffle some feathers with this post and please understand it is not my intention.

Why does the deaf community hold ASL so dear and not embrace the future? To me ASL is useless in my surrounding world so I embrace technology as a whole. I have even been a contributor of improvements to some of the technologies that are out and are offere by Harris Communication.com.

I think its more important we look ahead and embrace new technologies and medical break throughs rather than hold on to an obsolete culture that only continues to isolate us from the rest of the world.

I do understand there are some who will never let go of the old culure of ASL like the Amish to the Englishmen but I also know there are others who can see the benefits and wonders that are down the road.

If we embrace it as a whole, we can help escalate new technologies and medical break throughs by giving our input at every corner of the Deaf DEAF and HOH world.

What are your thoughts? Please keep this civil and respect everyones opinion.

ASL is difficult but it gives me hope and, to be perfectly honest, it makes me feel kinda cool to have access to another language that very few people can understand. While practicing my (limited) ASL skills I find that I am signing to myself as though I'm talking to myself which, I guess I actually am! I may look silly but *I* think I look cool and that's all that matters ^_~

I think technology is great. I could not communicate wit my mother without TTS software on my phone as she has dementia and getting her to learn even very simple key ASL words is beyond frustrating.

I cannot wait until I can speak fluent ASL but, until the time comes that I can, technology is helping me bridge the gap between telling someone exactly what I want or need without pantomime and a lot of arm flailing.

--Soul

Back