ASL, why keep embracing it

I is thick as plank as are many other deafi tecki stuff drive them and me into mad house.Could get expectations that can't be delivered.We sit and look at each other until someone mends equipment

to advocate for the extinction of ASL <which is what happens by default when ASL or other sign languages are not included in certain educational and industry circles> is to advocate for the destruction of a culture.

I in two worlds with this my grandson he Welsh go on about his culture apart from handful who speak Welsh what exactly is his culture apart from sheep more sheep you have be Welsh understand sheep bit.He British...
Deaf Different have shared experience a bluntness straight to the point deaf humour and certain prejudice to us proberly similar reasons for deaf and many had nightmare childhood denied education.a cold hearted machine can not convey all this.On other hand we have hearing aids Implants all thought of with some suspicion but welcomed in the end by many but not all.I surppose no different.
Come on hoichi join in

I think both important - some of the tools and technology that has been helpful for connection - and also the sign languages. But ASL or other sign language seems to often the "last resort" or some sort of "tragic consequence".

But tool and machines can break. Sign languages have as their gift the power of a connection that goes beyond machinery. I think this is similar to some ways, of "jewish-ness". I can go anywhere and if I find another Jew - regardless of degree of religiousness for the most part - the other Jewish person and I make a connection. I will likely be welcomed to their synagogue or even home. Doesn't mean we automatically like everything about each other, but we have a shared body of ....inner consciousness...something...because we know what it means to be Jews. That exists because of our background, our languages. Though on the face those things may seem different. But underneath it all there is something more. Tools are things that can very useful indeed. But language......is heart. The words don't adequately convey...

I know very few people use/speak Welsh now...is it coming back at all?

Some deaf people do use modern tech, I mean some get the cochlear but still sign because it helps. They have found ways to make the blind see but I have never meet one blind person who has got that done.
Should we get ride of Spanish because so many mexican are coming to america? Do just do away with English and use abbreviations and text speech. Why waste our time learning proper English when we can say 'lol tty bbf'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

The OP has failed to explain why he thinks ASL is some kind of barrier to progress. I think ASL is a driver of progress.

Im trying to remember but basically same concept like the Navajo Talkers ( think thats the correct name) used their language as code to talk so the Japs couldnt break the codes.... Same concept, language is only as good as someone wants to make it. It is a dying and not so dying art. There is the Hawaiian Sign Language, and I believe there is only 1 or a handful of people left who actually knows it... sadly if they dont teach it and keep it alive it will die with the last who knows.

It was called Navajo code talkers , and to think white man tried to wipe out the Native American culture and they helped us fight Japan by using their language. Yeah look how the war could had turned out if we did wipe out Navajo culture . ASL is a part of the deaf culture history and if someone doesn't want to use that is their rights but they shouldn't tell other people to stop using it .

I know I will ruffle some feathers with this post and please understand it is not my intention.

Why does the deaf community hold ASL so dear and not embrace the future?
To me ASL is useless in my surrounding world so I embrace technology as a whole. I have even been a contributor of improvements to some of the technologies that are out and are offere by Harris Communication.com.

I think its more important we look ahead and embrace new technologies and medical break throughs rather than hold on to an obsolete culture that only continues to isolate us from the rest of the world.

I do understand there are some who will never let go of the old culure of ASL like the Amish to the Englishmen but I also know there are others who can see the benefits and wonders that are down the road.

If we embrace it as a whole, we can help escalate new technologies and medical break throughs by giving our input at every corner of the Deaf DEAF and HOH world.

What are your thoughts? Please keep this civil and respect everyones opinion.

You want to keep this civil? Look at the bolded. That was NOT civil of you! You threw that request right out the window.

You want to keep this civil? Look at the bolded. That was NOT civil of you! You threw that request right out the window.

Totally agree.

With the OP having 500+ posts and being a member here 8 years, I think this whole thread was intended to start a trolling fight. He/She had to have seen that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of ASL users on this board, as well as hundreds, if not thousands, of non-ASL users. This board has over 10,000 members, and most are inactive right now. However, over the years, there has been much conversation about different technology, including ASL, and I think this OP was no stranger to that if he/she's been here 8 years.

*smh*

(And of course, the OP hasn't been back since about 60 minutes after creating this thread 5 days ago. Nice way to participate. RME.)

Last edited:
Totally agree.

With the OP having 500+ posts and being a member here 8 years, I think this whole thread was intended to start a trolling fight. He/She had to have seen that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of ASL users on this board, as well as hundreds, if not thousands, of non-ASL users. This board has over 10,000 members, and most are inactive right now. However, over the years, there has been much conversation about different technology, including ASL, and I think this OP was no stranger to that if he/she's been here 8 years.

*smh*

(And of course, the OP hasn't been back since about 60 minutes after creating this thread 5 days ago. Nice way to participate. RME.)

What a dumb****

You mean I been wasting my time thinking about and writing answers.Some things he xplained all ready her
SOB.

Exactly why I refused to dignify it with an answer.

A troll is a troll is a troll

Trolls bad things...The British austronort tim peeks has had some really nasty trolls on his Twitter account I refuse read it.His poor family read that and so do he.wish could be censored but it not

well he's lurking at least according to his profile, as of yesterday.

What a dumb****

No I am not being uncivil or a troll and the whole reason I brought this up is because of the difficulty level learning ASL not just from a deaf or HOH persons point of view but for those who wish to communicate to us.

It takes a lot of time and effort to learn ASL-it really does. I know that ASL works for some but not for most because of the time required to learn it and because you must practice it or you lose some of it.

I only said "will ruffle some feathers" because when you consider ASL a culture rather than a tool people will get mad and they have from what I have seen on some cruel posts.

My take is if we do not look ahead how can we move ahead? Im not putting ASL down at all just trying to look forward and hopefully progress so that someday everyone can communicate without having to learn a different culture. That is what I pray for, it is what I long for and though I am confident it will happen, I would just love to see it in my lifetime.

I have not posted because I have not been able to reply until now. Anyway-you all proved my point because getting combative and insulting will not lead to progress in your culture. I will seek out my own culture or methods. I dont need you or anyone else here for that matter.

The Welsh lanages was banned native Indian banned and sign was banned left unhappy people(from Welsh)deaf both in states and uk had hands tied or beaten Indians removed from families.
why don't you leave it to deaf decide what good for them or someone who had good hearing and lost it those two groups may have different ideas.It can appear patronzing telling people what good for them.
you mean well but many clever deaf people around who could done this and chosen not to

cdaigle430

why did you come back then?

you can't come onto a deaf forum and insult a culture and a people and expect a happy response

I do agree in part, that ASL isnt the easiest to learn for late deafened like myself.

Back