ASL vs SEE in class

Catastrophic

Reaction score
I am in ASL 3 now. When I took 1, my teacher taught us in ASL. SEE and talking were not allowed. My teacher was hearing. When I got to 2 and now 3, my teacher is actually deaf and teaches in SEE. I find this odd. Anyone have any insight?

I think it's because most of the students are hearing and it is easier for them. So SEE is used as it keeps them coming back for more.

More profitable.

I just feel like I am not learning what I am supposed to. I am learning sign, but not the right context. Being in "ASL" classes I guess I should be learning asl is all. My convert from English to asl sucks because of it I'm sure lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I was hoping to be like Bébian who was so good at sign, the deaf students he taught didn't know he was actually hearing. :D

If a student is paying for an ASL class, the student should get an ASL class. It also puts the student at a disadvantage when he or she advances on to the next level of ASL.

It's called "truth in advertising."

Suppose you signed up for an Italian III class and ended up being taught Latin instead?

my IMO. it is very viewpoint is very SEE is had problem misunderstand cause easy miscommunication. I think so someone have you communication to ASL easy to easy to made of language development to body to ASL :) Hope be don't be mixing to up the them language.

If a student is paying for an ASL class, the student should get an ASL class. It also puts the student at a disadvantage when he or she advances on to the next level of ASL.

It's called "truth in advertising."

Suppose you signed up for an Italian III class and ended up being taught Latin instead?

Exactly what I was thinking! Well said Reba!

I am in ASL 3 now. When I took 1, my teacher taught us in ASL. SEE and talking were not allowed. My teacher was hearing. When I got to 2 and now 3, my teacher is actually deaf and teaches in SEE. I find this odd. Anyone have any insight?

Is this at RCC? If so, :shock:

Back