ASL to Spanish VRS?

Steve

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with or heard about any VRS that can do ASL to Spanish by calling a specific IP or 800 number?

CSD (CSDVRS, was asked this at a town hall meeting by a Deaf gal whose family is Spanish-speaking. They actually told her to keep calling until she connects to an interpreter that knows Spanish. :crazy:

Hamilton Relay is hosting their own town hall meeting in a few weeks. We'll be asking them too.

Steve

Steve said:
Does anyone here have experience with or heard about any VRS that can do ASL to Spanish by calling a specific IP or 800 number?

CSD (CSDVRS, was asked this at a town hall meeting by a Deaf gal whose family is Spanish-speaking. They actually told her to keep calling until she connects to an interpreter that knows Spanish. :crazy:

Hamilton Relay is hosting their own town hall meeting in a few weeks. We'll be asking them too.

Steve

It would take an act of FCC ruling to make Espanol VRS to happen. Currently, FCC/NECA declaration says spoken English only.

Basicaly, if CSD would take a vrs call in Spanish would be in violation.

find out from Hamilton about the spanish vrs and get back to here.

Only one agency can do Spanish to ASL VRS calls -- Federal VRS for Federal employees, retirees, veterans and Native Americans.

https://www.fedvrs.us/

Since Federal Relay service is provided by Sprint, they have interpreters on staff who can do Spanish to ASL translation for that service, M-F 6am to 7pm Central Time.

When those interpreters aren't doing Spanish translation for Federal VRS, they are also doing regular English to ASL translation. But you're correct, qwerty, that the FCC does not permit it outside of Federal VRS.

I never would have thought there was a restriction. If you visit http://www.relayiowa.com/, you will see they offer TTY/Spanish Service.

((Of course, that could be straight spanish text to spanish voice with no actual interpreting. ???))

That has been offered for several years. Sprint had the relay contract in Iowa for ten years and just lost it to Hamilton Relay beginning this year. This is why Hamilton is out touring to get to know everyone now.

Thanks for the insight!

Steve

On a side note. We give out SprintVRS's phone number and assigned extention number to hearing callers. If someone chooses to leave a message, SprintVRS will send a videoclip to my e-mail address.

Once in a while I get one from FederalVRS under the same numbers. CSD also shares the extension number from the same database.

Steve

Steve said:
I never would have thought there was a restriction. If you visit http://www.relayiowa.com/, you will see they offer TTY/Spanish Service.

((Of course, that could be straight spanish text to spanish voice with no actual interpreting. ???))

Correct. There are no restrictions on TEXT Spanish to Spanish speaking or English to Spanish / Spanish to English relay. There are only restrictions on Spanish to ASL.

There's even Spanish CapTel -- the only restrictions are that it's not 24 hours and the whole conversation from the person on the other end has to be all in Spanish or all in English -- you can't switch languages in mid-call, the voice recognicion technology can't do that yet.

Dennis said:
Correct. There are no restrictions on TEXT Spanish to Spanish speaking or English to Spanish / Spanish to English relay. There are only restrictions on Spanish to ASL.

There's even Spanish CapTel -- the only restrictions are that it's not 24 hours and the whole conversation from the person on the other end has to be all in Spanish or all in English -- you can't switch languages in mid-call, the voice recognicion technology can't do that yet.

That is correct. Relay in both directions English to Spanish. Sprint is leader in spanish relay for many years.

Dennis said:
Only one agency can do Spanish to ASL VRS calls -- Federal VRS for Federal employees, retirees, veterans and Native Americans.

https://www.fedvrs.us/

Since Federal Relay service is provided by Sprint, they have interpreters on staff who can do Spanish to ASL translation for that service, M-F 6am to 7pm Central Time.

When those interpreters aren't doing Spanish translation for Federal VRS, they are also doing regular English to ASL translation. But you're correct, qwerty, that the FCC does not permit it outside of Federal VRS.

you say Spanish to ASL VRS, that is spoken spanish to ASL over VRS. What about the other direction? spanish signs to spoken english?

its gonna be regulatory issue with FCC and NECA. Since VRS is reimbursed by the NECA funds, there are no state funded VRS service, even though they can do so with spanish/englishtranslation over vrs.

VRS: ASL to Spanish!

I heard Sorenson VRS is providing the service. It is from 11:00am to 8:00pm M to F and 8am to 8pm on Sats and Sunds. You have to dial the same number as you do to get an English interpreter, just request a Spanish interpreter and they will hand over the call. :whistle:

lukskaiwoker said:
I heard Sorenson VRS is providing the service. It is from 11:00am to 8:00pm M to F and 8am to 8pm on Sats and Sunds. You have to dial the same number as you do to get an English interpreter, just request a Spanish interpreter and they will hand over the call. :whistle:

Sprint's been doing it for 24/7. CSDVRS as well (They're the one and the same, anyway).

http://www.sprintvrs.com/support-info.asp?faqselect=spanish

Sign language to Spanish is now available for deaf and hard of hearing sign language users to communicate with hearing persons that speak Spanish. Video interpreters will translate sign language to Spanish, and Spanish to sign language. (Spanish sign language to Spanish is currently not available.)

Spanish Translation VRS Operating Hours
Available 24-hours a day / 7 days a week

To use Video Relay Service with Spanish
Videophone Users: Spanish.Sprintvrs.tv
Webcam Users: www.Sprintvrs.com and check the "Spanish" button
Hearing Users: 1-866-410-5787 and press two for Spanish
Traducciones en Español en el Servicio de Relevo de Video (VRS)
In English

Transliteración del lenguaje de seña al español hablado está disponible para las personas sordas y sordos parciales que son usuarios de señas para comunicarse con personas oyentes que habla español. Los intérpretes del relevo en Video traducirá el lenguaje de señas al español hablado y del español hablado al lenguaje de señas. (Actualmente no está disponible el lenguaje de señas español al español hablado.)

If you want to make a VRS call in ASL and converse with a spanish speaking hearing person, you could do what hearing people do and call a service like language line (http://www.languageline.com). You'll have to pay for it though, same as a hearing person would.

first you'd have to go to a place like languageline.com and create an account.

Once you have an account start a VRS call the way you normally would and ahve the relay operator call the 800 number to get the language line operator and off you go.

Since sprint is doing ASL to spanish now It would make more sence to use that, but if you wanted a less common language than spanish that'd be the way to go.

there could also be a captel type service that does this too, but it would probably cost money to use. In a normal captel call an operator speaks word for word what the other person says and a computer transcribes it for them. This works because the computer has been heavily trained to the operators voice. All we would need is for the captel operator to also be a language translator just like the languageLine operators. They'd hear something in spanish, (for example) and speak it back in english into a computer that's been trained to their voice.

farmerjoe said:
there could also be a captel type service that does this too, but it would probably cost money to use. In a normal captel call an operator speaks word for word what the other person says and a computer transcribes it for them. This works because the computer has been heavily trained to the operators voice. All we would need is for the captel operator to also be a language translator just like the languageLine operators. They'd hear something in spanish, (for example) and speak it back in english into a computer that's been trained to their voice.

For CapTel, it's only English speaker to English captions or Spanish speaker to Spanish captions. There's absolutely no translation involved (Spanish speaker to English captions). In fact, when I'm on a call with someone who sometimes slips into speaking spanish, it always comes up as (speaking foreign language) on the screen. I've heard it's the same with Spanish speaking to Spanish captioning, as in they do not do any English translation at all.

If you can read Spanish, you can go here to find out more:

http://www.captionedtelephone.com/espanol.phtml

Sorenson offer spanish VRS now

Dennis said:
For CapTel, it's only English speaker to English captions or Spanish speaker to Spanish captions. There's absolutely no translation involved (Spanish speaker to English captions). In fact, when I'm on a call with someone who sometimes slips into speaking spanish, it always comes up as (speaking foreign language) on the screen. I've heard it's the same with Spanish speaking to Spanish captioning, as in they do not do any English translation at all.

If you can read Spanish, you can go here to find out more:

http://www.captionedtelephone.com/espanol.phtml

qwerty123 said:
espanol
fifth paragraph

Looking...... looking.....

Nothing in there says that SORENSON offers Spanish VRS. Just two paragraphs state that "VRS Providers" (as in the industry, not Sorenson) have to comply with FCC requirements.

Show me where SORENSON says THEY offer Spanish VRS. Nowhere.

Dennis said:
Looking...... looking.....

Nothing in there says that SORENSON offers Spanish VRS. Just two paragraphs state that "VRS Providers" (as in the industry, not Sorenson) have to comply with FCC requirements.

Show me where SORENSON says THEY offer Spanish VRS. Nowhere.

make vrs call and find out

You assert it, you verify it. Where's your proof? What makes you think it's true, other than you heard it somewhere and that if you just say it, it's true?

I work for Sorenson

Sorenson offers ASL/Spanish interpreting Monday thru Friday between 2 PM and 11 PM Eastern Time and on the weekends, but I'm not sure of the weekend hours. Just call VRS and tell them you need a Spanish interpreter and they will transfer you to a Spanish interpreter.

Dennis said:
You assert it, you verify it. Where's your proof? What makes you think it's true, other than you heard it somewhere and that if you just say it, it's true?

Why dont you call Sorenson and find out? But, thanks to HoHGuyOhio for explain.

go to NAD convention and findout from sorenson booth.

Back