ASL slang and brand names?

bkwrmi

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some ASL signs for brand names or name signs of prominent figures (especially politicians)?

So far, I've encountered a few in conversation (Starbucks, McDonalds, Nordstrom), but I assume there must be others out there?

pepsi but thats all that I know of seems kind of silly to make a sign for names for restaurants and stores, but now that you mention it i suppose theirs a sign locally here for Walmart. Of coarse I only know one person who uses it but she also has a variation for the word "try". So I don't know I think she makes up signs if she likes, but than again I know another guy who uses the same sign for "try". Not ASL officially yet, but hey it works!

I know a sign for McDonald's (M handshape makes two arches). What's the sign for Starbucks?

I was recently told that the sign for Target is a "T" brought up to touch your nose. :) And Walmart is W and then M... at least around here, so I was told. :giggle:

Also, what sign do you all use for Facebook? I had seen the sign for FACE then BOOK, but an interpreter friend of mine said her student showed her to place a B hand against the side of the face - thumb side touching the cheek, then wave the hand out twice with the hand not leaving the face.... clear as mud? lol

I just fingerspell it... for all the new fads and gizmos. Can't be arsed to stay ontop of the new signs regarding technology.

F-B for Facebook. T-W-I-T-T-ER for Twitter. B-B for BlackBerry and so on.

I was recently told that the sign for Target is a "T" brought up to touch your nose. :) And Walmart is W and then M... at least around here, so I was told. :giggle:

Also, what sign do you all use for Facebook? I had seen the sign for FACE then BOOK, but an interpreter friend of mine said her student showed her to place a B hand against the side of the face - thumb side touching the cheek, then wave the hand out twice with the hand not leaving the face.... clear as mud? lol

That's the version of FB that I've come across.

The sign I have seen for Targets: draw a circle with your finger and then dot the center with your finger.

Sign for Walmart: Same sign as cheap but with the W-hand formation.

In this area, we use that sign for Target. I've seen the Walmart sign that is "W-WELCOME", referencing the Walmart store greeter.

I usually abbreviate Facebook, F-B, as long as it's used in commonly accepted context.

I just fingerspell it... for all the new fads and gizmos. Can't be arsed to stay ontop of the new signs regarding technology.

F-B for Facebook. T-W-I-T-T-ER for Twitter. B-B for BlackBerry and so on.
Those are what I use unless a deaf client shows me otherwise.

:confused:

:ty: anyway, though.

I know you are low vision. You should be able to see this Mermaid anyway. Look at her hands and think about the sign origin.

starbucks-logo.jpg

I know you are low vision. You should be able to see this Mermaid anyway. Look at her hands and think about the sign origin.

starbucks-logo.jpg
Those are her hands? I thought that was her fish tail. :giggle:

I'm blind, not low vision.

NLP or SLP?

I can't tell you if you don't know how 8 signed looks and how it might apply to a Mermaid tail.

I am blind too, legally, and I can see this big picture.

Those are her hands? I thought that was her fish tail. :giggle:

According to uspto.gov "[Starbucks] mark consists of the wording "Starbucks Coffee" in a circular seal with two stars, and the design of a siren (a two-tailed mermaid) wearing a crown".

According to your own source, it is a two tailed Siren and those are her split tails.

According to your own source, it is a two tailed Siren and those are her split tails.
That's what I thought, so I looked it up to be sure. I didn't think they looked like hands.

Back