ASL (or BSL) vs SEE (or ESL... whatever)

Cheri said:
What is your problem? Don't you have better things to do than go around throwing insults?

Cheri, I deeply apologize for insulting you.

However, I just gave an examples.

Don't you know that ASL is faster than the spoken language?

I can't stand to be patience with people with SEE who sign as slow as the Oralism teachers slowly speak with their wide lips...

Sweetmind said:
OH yea! cheri what is your problem? Mookie has the right to express her own true feelings about SEE.. I agree with her all the way because too many deaf students doesnt write very good english written while they were taught SEE by hearing teacher in d/Deaf and mainstream school. It is very totally sad for people who have a hardhead for not accepting ASL as a true language and works for everyone especially for Deaf children s need. It helps d/Deaf children very much to understand the concept of language before English. Sighs!

I see a few members here choose SEE too, You and Mookie had to attacked on me out of some here who uses SEE too? You have a choice, You choose ASL as your primary sign language and I choose SEE as my primary sign language but I do know ASL too.

ASL here...but I did used SEE when I was younger...didn't like it. So I prefer ASL. I support either way. At least I know some SEE signs (some forgotten)

I support whatever WORKS BEST for a child. ASL is not always the best approach. Same goes for SEE, or BSL etc... sometimes oral is the best method - because everybody is different. I think that people should try out all the tools available to them and find what's best for them :)

neecy said:
I think that people should try out all the tools available to them and find what's best for them :)

My whole thinking on communications and access revolve around this statement. The difference seems to be certain sectors of the deaf community are saying only their modes are best. We should be talking effective communications not prefferred options or even culture, because the majority deaf and with a hearing loss are only concerned with how effective their communication is.

Some may feel that so long as the 'community' exists, it doesn't matter if you cannot effectively communicate anywhere else, I think this is an actual barrier to deaf people's aspirations/job prospects etc, since the deaf community is nowhere near able to self-serve/support it's own people, and it actually ignores personally choice, and demands conformity for it to work.

There seems some prevailing attitude, that so long as deaf people can follow each other, that's all there is to it. They'll sit it out until mainstream learns it. For most it is going to be a VERY VERY long wait, perhaps never in most of their lifetime, but I doubt most campaigners are thinking of future generations. What IS the 'Deaf' aim ? anyone actually know ?

I support whatever language an individual chooses to use even though I am an ASL user.

I use BSL (British Sign language) all my life until I married a German and use DGS (Deutsche Gebärdensprache = German Sign Language) for over 21 years. I consider DGS as my first language.

I see no problem to support kind of sign languages and also forgiegn sign language as well.

Sweetmind said:
I agree with her all the way because too many deaf students doesnt write very good english written while they were taught SEE by hearing teacher in d/Deaf and mainstream school.

What are u talking about?

I sign SEE and I can write decent english. From my experience, most SEE users have decent/excellent english writing skills.

Back