Asl movies

Nix Snow

Reaction score
Hello! As many of you know, I'm hearing and not very good with sign language yet. I don't want to throw myself into a get together until I'm better with sign and have a bit more knowledge of the culture.

I've been wanting to watch movies, but I'm not sure of good ones or if they have closed captions? I was wondering if anyone could make a couple suggestions and let me know about the captioning. I was looking at Versa Effect but couldn't seem to find anything about captions. I feel like it's a silly question, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thank you all :)

You may want to watch the movies from aslfilms.com. They're all in sign language. My favorite is The Wrong Game.
That was where I found Versa Effect. Do you know if aslfilms.com have captions? It doesn't say anything on their site. At least not that I could find.

According to their FAQ, there are captions on some of the movies. http://aslfilms.com/faq.php

The only one I have seen so far is Versa Effect. That was at a public showing at ASD. It isn't included in the list of captioned movies but it was captioned at that showing - maybe the DVD isn't. The best way to know for sure is to ask them about the movie before you buy it.

According to their FAQ, there are captions on some of the movies. http://aslfilms.com/faq.php

The only one I have seen so far is Versa Effect. That was at a public showing at ASD. It isn't included in the list of captioned movies but it was captioned at that showing - maybe the DVD isn't. The best way to know for sure is to ask them about the movie before you buy it.

Yeah, I just sent them an email. Hopefully I'll hear back soon. Thank you :)

I am under the impression that their newer films have subtitles, and the earlier ones might not. I think they all have trailers so maybe you can find out from that too. A friend of mine was viewing some of the trailers, and noted that some had subtitles and some didn't.

Last edited:
Hello! As many of you know, I'm hearing and not very good with sign language yet. I don't want to throw myself into a get together until I'm better with sign and have a bit more knowledge of the culture.

I've been wanting to watch movies, but I'm not sure of good ones or if they have closed captions? I was wondering if anyone could make a couple suggestions and let me know about the captioning. I was looking at Versa Effect but couldn't seem to find anything about captions. I feel like it's a silly question, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thank you all :)
Try the miracle worker is a classic and an amazing movie I prefer the original the black and white one .

Try the miracle worker is a classic and an amazing movie I prefer the original the black and white one .

I saw the Miracle Worker a long time ago, so I might be wrong, but that is not ASL is it? Helen Keller was blind so I don't see how that would be ASL. Nevertheless, it is a great movie and I remember it pulling a few heart strings.

I speak from experience, it is almost worthless to watch an ASL movie and depend on captions. If you are trying to learn sign and get it from a caption, it is impossible to pay attention to the signer and then think to look at the captions. Or vice versa, if you are too busy reading the captions, you will not catch the signer. I am not saying you cannot watch a caption movie and understand or follow, but in ASL films, and as in DEAF culture, it is all about paying attention to the signer.
I compare it to signing with someone and then turning away for 15 seconds and then turning back to the signer and thinking you have the whole concept of that conversation.
Just my 2 cents. Let us know how it works for you. I haven't watched an ASL movie, but I have watched a few documentaries and that is where I learned it was hard to read the captions and pay attention to the signer.

I saw the Miracle Worker a long time ago, so I might be wrong, but that is not ASL is it? Helen Keller was blind so I don't see how that would be ASL. Nevertheless, it is a great movie and I remember it pulling a few heart strings.

I speak from experience, it is almost worthless to watch an ASL movie and depend on captions. If you are trying to learn sign and get it from a caption, it is impossible to pay attention to the signer and then think to look at the captions. Or vice versa, if you are too busy reading the captions, you will not catch the signer. I am not saying you cannot watch a caption movie and understand or follow, but in ASL films, and as in DEAF culture, it is all about paying attention to the signer.
I compare it to signing with someone and then turning away for 15 seconds and then turning back to the signer and thinking you have the whole concept of that conversation.
Just my 2 cents. Let us know how it works for you. I haven't watched an ASL movie, but I have watched a few documentaries and that is where I learned it was hard to read the captions and pay attention to the signer.
yes it is because even blind she learns asl maybe you should watch it again the original one thanks

Maybe not... it seems like Helen relied more on fingerspelling receptively... In everything I've seen video wise of her it seems like she voiced for herself more than signing expressively. So technically I guess she is closer to the Rochester Method than ASL. I don't know if she ever even knew ASL or even basic signs....??

but... some DeafBlind do know and use ASL in general :)

Versa Effect does have subtitles. I think all of the ASL Films movies I bought have subtitles.

Listen to your heart on Netflix is amazing.
Starting to watch the movies now that I have a few days off, and OMG this one...! How could you do that to us??! I was tearing up and my boyfriend straight lost it. He got mad at me for putting on another sad movie, lol. That was a phenomenal movie. I wanted to slap the girl's mom, she was making me so angry! :( Really, really good movie. Thank you so much for sharing!! <3

Back