ASL and which side of brain?

podiecat

Reaction score
Do you think signing uses a different hemisphere of the brain than spoken languages?

Do you think signing uses a different hemisphere of the brain than spoken languages?

Intriguing question.

I think it depends on how the sign language user developed during post-natal stages...

Generally, I think signing uses visual part (can't remember which side, maybe left?) with its artistic expression, I guess... not sure about this.

However, there are some users who learned spoken language first. I am one of those, and I did not learn signing language until three or four years of age. When I sign, my mind relied on logical English patterns (grammar structure and all that). Because of this, I signed ASL in English way.

Of course, it's possible to be dual user.

Good input. I'm sorry if I can't help you out much there. :hmm:

Did a bit of research. Looks like it may be mixed... Especially the last few demonstrations.

leftright.jpg

brainorg.jpg

left-brain-right-brain.jpg

R-L-brain+-JPG.jpg

april%202011leftrightcolumn.jpg

brain_lateralization_1.jpg

And one more:

Picture1+Left+and+Right+Brain.png

I saw research like this years ago. The sample were deaf (asl from birth) vs hearing folks. I'm not sure if there are followup studies on betweeners.

They have fMRI photos of the brain hemispheres used between speech and asl.

Thanks for your reply. I've been pondering the thought because there is lots of Alzheimer's in my Mom's side of the family and a bit on my Dad's side. It is scary, especially being 'on' with my Mom her last 5 years.

The good news is that I've never had a good short-term memory. lol I'm sure I would have flunked the Alzheimer's tests twenty years ago! I tried learning sign in classes in '88/'89 when my ears worked and did not make any headway at all.

Now that my hearing is limited and I practice ASL every single day, in addition to giving me a language to hopefully communicate with, I'm sure that learning ASL exercises more parts of my brain than just spoken english. So I was just wondering about it this morning.... exorcising the Alzheimer's demons. lol

I believe if you are right handed, the left side of your brain is where most(not all) parts of spoken language are processed. I am right handed and was an artist most of my life until eight years ago... I always needed to learn through my hands and body experientially - never was able to remember numbers, dates and other rote-memory facts. So I don't really understand why learning ASL through my hands is not happening more easily but I'm sure the challenge and constant practice/learning process of ASL is helping keep Alzheimer's away, at least a bit.

I saw research like this years ago. The sample were deaf (asl from birth) vs hearing folks. I'm not sure if there are followup studies on betweeners.

They have fMRI photos of the brain hemispheres used between speech and asl.

This is a difficult one to comprehend...

For instance...

1-s2.0-S0926641004000655-gr2.gif

But if we directly observe ASL/hearing/hearing native sign users... Not sure about hearing subjects, they seem retarded lol

ASL%20Brain.jpg

Uhh let me drink some wine

*drinks*

Brb for a refill.

1-s2.0-S0021992401000636-gr3.jpg

But if we study how visual works in our brain, looks something like this:

ABraun_image2.jpg

emmorey.png

I don't understand this one...

brain%201.jpg

Interestingly there is the difference between ASL and LSQ users...

F1.large.jpg

Therefore, from the evidence that I have posted so far, the conclusion is not possible at this moment, possibly at the expense of wasted spending on fictional sociopsychological hemisphere mapping.

Thanks for your reply. I've been pondering the thought because there is lots of Alzheimer's in my Mom's side of the family and a bit on my Dad's side. It is scary, especially being 'on' with my Mom her last 5 years.

The good news is that I've never had a good short-term memory. lol I'm sure I would have flunked the Alzheimer's tests twenty years ago! I tried learning sign in classes in '88/'89 when my ears worked and did not make any headway at all.

Now that my hearing is limited and I practice ASL every single day, in addition to giving me a language to hopefully communicate with, I'm sure that learning ASL exercises more parts of my brain than just spoken english. So I was just wondering about it this morning.... exorcising the Alzheimer's demons. lol

I believe if you are right handed, the left side of your brain is where most(not all) parts of spoken language are processed. I am right handed and was an artist most of my life until eight years ago... I always needed to learn through my hands and body experientially - never was able to remember numbers, dates and other rote-memory facts. So I don't really understand why learning ASL through my hands is not happening more easily but I'm sure the challenge and constant practice/learning process of ASL is helping keep Alzheimer's away, at least a bit.

Oh, sorry to hear that.

You sure have funny way of saying, like exorcising the "demons", lol..

You sure have funny way of saying said:
ex·or·cise [ek-sawr-sahyz, -ser-] Show IPA
verb (used with object), ex·or·cised, ex·or·cis·ing.
to seek to expel (an evil spirit) by adjuration or religious or solemn ceremonies: to exorcise a demon.
to free (a person, place, etc.) of evil spirits or malignant influences.

All of those scans are mighty impressive, Lukin. I can't quite get my head around what it all means though. Thanks for posting!!!

Looking at those pictures brought up a funny memory though...

My Dad was an electrical engineer who specialized in biomedical equipment inventions. When I was very young (I'm 60 now so we are talking dinosaurs. lol) he came home from work and presented a photo. Before he turned the picture over so we could see it, he kiddingly said "this is a picture of Mommy, doesn't she look pretty?". It was from one of the first color x-ray machines he was working on and looked very much like the scans you posted.

This is a difficult one to comprehend...

For instance...

1-s2.0-S0926641004000655-gr2.gif

But if we directly observe ASL/hearing/hearing native sign users... Not sure about hearing subjects, they seem retarded lol

ASL%20Brain.jpg

Uhh let me drink some wine

*drinks*

Brb for a refill.

1-s2.0-S0021992401000636-gr3.jpg

But if we study how visual works in our brain, looks something like this:

ABraun_image2.jpg

emmorey.png

I don't understand this one...

brain%201.jpg

Interestingly there is the difference between ASL and LSQ users...

F1.large.jpg

Therefore, from the evidence that I have posted so far, the conclusion is not possible at this moment, possibly at the expense of wasted spending on fictional sociopsychological hemisphere mapping.

Thank I see it I recognized it, it is depend on memory on long term. I notice to people pop up long memory block memory. few people, I have community. friends have problem issues on troubles difficult, I saw few recognized cultures. I interesting, I am learn it Community, that is true.
that is sadly on low on missing to grammar and memory, people more difficult memory!

I am pretty surprised to your posts!

Wow that's very much detailed. Interesting though. It caught my eye to read this thread. :)

We had my son's IEP meeting today and his 3 year evaluation. He just went through a battery of tests by the school pychologists as required for his 3 year evaluation. His tests showed that he scored above average for abstract thinking. They think with him being fluent in ASL, it helped him in that area because he scored a little bit slow for concrete thinking which is very strange. Usually it is the other way around at first. I just laughed because ASL is definitely a picture language. :)

Back