Asl 1

DJYumene

Reaction score
Hello everyone! *waves* it has been a while since I came here. I have so much going on over here. :shock:

I just started taking my classes this semester; just math and ASL 1. One thing I thought was cool was that our teacher is a CODA. So far, we are still going though the basic conversations; greetings, introductions, ect.

One thing I wanted to ask if it was true in most other areas as well. Our teacher said that normally ASL classes are taught by a Deaf instructor, Is that true for most other colleges? I thought that was cool; getting fully into the language from the start.

Live in Las Vegas, huh? I'm certainly that you're looking forward on DeafNation World Expo that would be host in your location. Must be excite, huh? :)

Anyway, how is your sign language skill going on?

Hello everyone! *waves* it has been a while since I came here. I have so much going on over here. :shock:

I just started taking my classes this semester; just math and ASL 1. One thing I thought was cool was that our teacher is a CODA. So far, we are still going though the basic conversations; greetings, introductions, ect.

One thing I wanted to ask if it was true in most other areas as well. Our teacher said that normally ASL classes are taught by a Deaf instructor, Is that true for most other colleges? I thought that was cool; getting fully into the language from the start.

I took ASL I and II at my local community college. Both times, the teacher was hearing. When i enrolled at Gally for ASL III my teacher was deaf.

A deaf ASL teacher will always be more awesome than hearing. My :2c:

Thats the way it is here in Dallas.

I have a deaf ASL instructor, and she's just great. She tells us a story from her life while teaching us certain signs that makes them easier to remember. Like when she taught us wine, she told us how she was babysitting for a 3 year old, and the parents had a unlabelled container of juice in the fridge. So she gave the kid juice all night, and then the kid started wobbling and falling over, and the she realized the unlabelled container was really wine, and that the 3 year old kid was drunk! YIKES! She HAD to tell the parents, but they just laughed and realized it was their mistake. So, I'll always remember the sign for wine.

Live in Las Vegas, huh? I'm certainly that you're looking forward on DeafNation World Expo that would be host in your location. Must be excite, huh? :)

Anyway, how is your sign language skill going on?

Deaf Expo? I didn't know about that.

I am in ASL 1 so I am only learning basic conversations right now. I don't think I'm ready for ASL only events. However one of the tasks that were supposed to do is get Min. of 14 hours of time in a ASL setting in the semester. (Mentors, ASL events, Ect.). Maybe I could go there :). I need to find out more about the expo though.

Deaf Expo? I didn't know about that.

I am in ASL 1 so I am only learning basic conversations right now. I don't think I'm ready for ASL only events. However one of the tasks that were supposed to do is get Min. of 14 hours of time in a ASL setting in the semester. (Mentors, ASL events, Ect.). Maybe I could go there :). I need to find out more about the expo though.

Keep up! Then you'll get better and able to meet thousand deaf and hearing with ASL at DeafNation Expo next year!

Keep up! Then you'll get better and able to meet thousand deaf and hearing with ASL at DeafNation Expo next year!

Thanks :) I keep practicing the vocab we are supposed to know. She does very little talking; she will either sign or write on the board.

The expo is not until next year? hopefully I will know enough to go to it by then :)

All the ASL teachers at my college are Deaf.

I don't know about that. When I helped a teacher in an ASL class, the teacher was also one of the interpreters for that college.

In my high school, the ASL teacher was hearing. She's now the director of the deaf education department.

I guess it depends on how qualified the department feels that candidate is when looking for someone to fill in that position.

Hmm, yea, they would want qualified people to teach the classes. :) I would think that as well ^_^

All the professors that I know of at my school are deaf, except for one CODA, I think. My gf's professor is also deaf.

And as for deaf events, go go go! I went to my first event my first month of ASL 1, and I'm so glad I did. You learn so much more just throwing yourself in there. There's always people around who are willing to help (both hearing and deaf), and you might be a little lost the first time, but you'll meet tons of people, and I've found that spending time at events or just hanging out with others who sign helps you learn so much more, and so much faster.

I actually just got back from my first ASL Social. It was great; I just wish I wasn't so nervous. I didn't do much signing but I did watch a lot (and surprisingly (to me at least) .. I understood the last conversation of the night for the most part; I was in awe) :)

I did learn new signs, and I got corrected on my E letter (I signed E with my hand all the way closed and my thumb under the tips of my finger sorry, I'm no good at explaining -_-') ... They shows me to sign E with hand a little more open than what I was doing .. with space between the thumb and the tips of the other fingers ... (sorry if that sounded confusing)

I also had my first ASL test today for class (covering greetings, fingerspelling, numbers, colors, and clothing) ... and I am confident that I passed :) lol

All the professors that I know of at my school are deaf, except for one CODA, I think. My gf's professor is also deaf.

And as for deaf events, go go go! I went to my first event my first month of ASL 1, and I'm so glad I did. You learn so much more just throwing yourself in there. There's always people around who are willing to help (both hearing and deaf), and you might be a little lost the first time, but you'll meet tons of people, and I've found that spending time at events or just hanging out with others who sign helps you learn so much more, and so much faster.

That's so cool!

I'm going to try to keep updated when more events go on down here so I can go to more. :) I was VERY nervous when I was there XD ... hopefully next time I won't be so nervous ...

At my university, the head of the dept. is Deaf. She teaches all of the upper level courses. The lower level courses are taught by a CODA, but under the Deaf head's supervision. The Deaf head of the dept. sets the standards that must be met.

I actually just got back from my first ASL Social. It was great; I just wish I wasn't so nervous. I didn't do much signing but I did watch a lot (and surprisingly (to me at least) .. I understood the last conversation of the night for the most part; I was in awe) :)

Yay, that's exciting! I am so proud of the ASL 1/2 students who go to Deaf events, as they should! I know it's scary, and you'll miss a ton, but your attitude will take you farther than you can imagine.

I got corrected on my E letter (I signed E with my hand all the way closed and my thumb under the tips of my finger sorry, I'm no good at explaining -_-') ... They shows me to sign E with hand a little more open than what I was doing .. with space between the thumb and the tips of the other fingers ... (sorry if that sounded confusing)

Your E was NOT wrong. I know what you're saying, --- while there may be some regional differences, the fingers are SUPPOSED to be on the thumb, not above it with "space" in between. Technically the fingers not touching the thumb is incorrect (or at the least least a much less common variation.) You will see some people do it cuz-- they can, lol- but try not to. If you want to be an interpreter, or simply a clear signer, your fingers SHOULD tough your thumb.
As a newbie you are going to get TONS of advice, most accurate, some not. In time, you'll learn to be able to tell the difference. Some people will argue the "E" thing I just said above, but ask enough Native Deaf signers, you'll see for yourself.

I also had my first ASL test today for class (covering greetings, fingerspelling, numbers, colors, and clothing) ... and I am confident that I passed :) lol
Yay!

---while there may be some regional differences, the fingers are SUPPOSED to be on the thumb, not above it with "space" in between. Technically the fingers not touching the thumb is incorrect (or at the least least a much less common variation.) You will see some people do it cuz-- they can, lol- but try not to. If you want to be an interpreter, or simply a clear signer, your fingers SHOULD tough your thumb.

Funny that you mentioned that. My friends who are deaf, their fingers never touch their thumbs. I was taught to sign "E" like the way they use it. In fact, the very first time someone signed "E" with their fingers and thumb touching, well it really confused me. Took a minute to figure out what it was, lol. :giggle:

Funny that you mentioned that. My friends who are deaf, their fingers never touch their thumbs. I was taught to sign "E" like the way they use it. In fact, the very first time someone signed "E" with their fingers and thumb touching, well it really confused me. Took a minute to figure out what it was, lol. :giggle:

I agree. I was taught to sign "E" without the fingers touching the thumb, and I learned ASL from the Deaf community.

I went to another event Thursday; deaf Senior citizens. There was only one hearing person in the room (husband is deaf so she comes with him; very sweet couple) ... the room was packed with at least 100 people. I stayed with the hearing woman; very helpful. Mostly they were just playing cards and other games, but near the end they called up all the February birthday people and I learned how to sign the Happy Birthday song. ^_^

When I told them my name, I signed my E the way they showed me at the social day before. Felt awkward because I've been doing my E with thumb touching since I learned my ABC's in 5th grade XD ... It seems to be common do to E's with the space here, even a lot of the people at the senior meet here were doing it that way. So I think I should get used to doing the E like that.

They invited me back for next week too; so sweet. :) I think I'm going to start going to this one because the social on Wednesdays will start to end at 9pm next week and my last class doesn't get out until 9pm ... *tear*

Back