Asking my company to buy me a SideKick

Presbyter

Reaction score
I have been on AIM's myrelay from ip-relay for two years. Now, the company I work for upgraded our computers and they have a new firewall. AIM over internet doesn't work and the company now doesn't allow AIM over Internet or filters out aol.com and many other web sites. I'm back to square one and hate to go back to the TDD. Its no fun to operate and I've enjoyed having my own number from ip-real.com.
I noticed on a webpage I have a right to choose my own relay. See the clip below: I was surprised to read that. Is it true that I can ask my company to provide me with a sidekick and pay for it's use? Even though my company is one of the largest in this nation, they are picky about providing cell phones. Does the NAD state that I can choose AIM at ip-real with my own personal number over a traditional TDD machine? If thats true, then I can tell them to give me access to AIM over the Internet or provide a Sidekick for me to use during business to do my job?

Please help So I can write a very nice letter to my bosses and say the right thing. I don't want to open a can of worms.

Presbyter :deal:

------------------------clip:
Relay
To refer others to this page, please use:?Relay - National Association of the Deaf
Imagine asking your neighbors to call the doctor for you—or to even call pizza!* Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act, statewide TTY relay services became mandatory. The NAD played an important role in negotiating with disability advocacy groups for this provision, during the drafting of the ADA.
The NAD fought for multi-vendoring—the right to choose relay service providers.*The NAD was opposed by others who believed that multi-vendoring was unrealistic and not feasible.
Deaf and hard of hearing individuals now have the right to choose from numerous relay service providers in different format, whether it is traditional TTY relay, Internet Protocol (IP) relay, or Video Relay Services (VRS). Today traditional TTY relay is now being overtaken by greater reliance on IP relay services and video relay services (VRS).
The NAD continues to work hard to ensure full telecommunication access – what we are now seeing is that VRS is affording deaf people with near-functional equivalency. Relay access has also provided unprecedented employment choices and advancement opportunities.*Numerous issues still surround relay services including quality, funding, technology development and research, and universal access.

One other thing you could do is register an account at goowy.com. One of the web-based programs there is an AIM client.

I suggest you talk to a lawyer about this because you have become dependent on IP based systems and they just cut you off when they upgraded the system. You can ask the company to adjust the firewall so you can use the IP based systems.

Richard

One other thing you could do is register an account at goowy.com. One of the web-based programs there is an AIM client.

WoW! That is something! Thanks! I can't wait to try it at work where my firewall is. If I have this goowy page open in the background and while working in a application like Photoshop on a Mac, How will I know I recieved a call from ip-relay's myiprelay buddy on AIM? Does it pops up or will an icon bounce?

Presbyter

I suggest you talk to a lawyer about this because you have become dependent on IP based systems and they just cut you off when they upgraded the system. You can ask the company to adjust the firewall so you can use the IP based systems.

Richard

Thanks! What you said is simple and direct. Maybe I should write a one sentence email to my bosses: "I've become dependent on (mycompany's) IP based systems and the (internet Systems group) cut me off when they upgraded the system. Please have them to adjust the firewall so I can use the IP systems".
That sounds clean! :deal:
Presbyter

WoW! That is something! Thanks! I can't wait to try it at work where my firewall is. If I have this goowy page open in the background and while working in a application like Photoshop on a Mac, How will I know I recieved a call from ip-relay's myiprelay buddy on AIM? Does it pops up or will an icon bounce?

Presbyter

Not sure - it's been a long time since I used it. But what I would do is make a window sized perfectly for *just* the AIM part, and then keep it in a corner of the screen to check now and then. It might alert you - you'd have to test that.

It is going to be very hard. Reason? Most companies view AIM as personal issue, and don't want to mess that with business. AIM was never considered as business in business world, FYI. If you do ask them, your asking for can of worm. So it is best to buy your own, that way, they can NOT snoop in and spy at your conversation. They would easily raise suspension that your going to abuse their rules, it had happened in the past. There are many reason why it is best to do on your own than ask them. I would NEVER bother ask them, that way they can NOT control me.

If you are using computer at work and have internet access, you could ask IT personeel to let www.(name of the ip relay of your choice).com pass though, that way they will know it is just business related. AIM, it is NOT that easy because of past abuses. Sorry.

Again it is up to you,

Thanks! What you said is simple and direct. Maybe I should write a one sentence email to my bosses: "I've become dependent on (mycompany's) IP based systems and the (internet Systems group) cut me off when they upgraded the system. Please have them to adjust the firewall so I can use the IP systems".
That sounds clean! :deal:
Presbyter

An email is most likely not going to work. Most companies have IT policies that aren't easy to make exceptions to -- after all, IT policies are about security and PREVENTING access, not granting access for accessibility needs. You may even need a executive's level of approval to get firewall access for AIM, because of the potential for abuse in the organization.

Ask your bosses informally first, get a feeling for what it would take to get AIM back on. Tell them that it affects your productivity and that if they want to keep you productive and gaining money for the company, they should work with you to find a solution ASAP. Several solutions could be:

1) Re-open AIM access on the firewall, make an exception for you alone.
2) Get you a portable device that'll serve the same function without having to go through the corp firewall
3) Other possible solutions

Remember, your key argument for keeping AIM is so that clients can contact you via one phone number, instead of 2 with TTY relay. If your bosses don't care about that, going back to the TTY may be the only solution. It's still accessible, it's just not as accessible as you'd LIKE it to be. I'd love it if my bosses would install video conferencing equipment in my office and then I'd be really accessible, but you know, that's not always possible.

Yea, that is exactly what have been going on. Companies do not want to pay you to do leisure time. That is their point, PLUS that if they open up more port, the more chance that their system may be compromised and get hacked in stealing their sensitive information. That is another factor why they wanted to restrict the access to the net. VP, I would NOT recommend that to be hooked up on company's networking, recommended that VP uses seperate networking wiring from the main point to enchance the security within company's networking. I have heard of installer installed VP on same company networking system and have done severe damages and that hacker had successfully broke in. Sure it pissed the CEO big time. So, again it is all about security and money.

An email is most likely not going to work. Most companies have IT policies that aren't easy to make exceptions to -- after all, IT policies are about security and PREVENTING access, not granting access for accessibility needs. You may even need a executive's level of approval to get firewall access for AIM, because of the potential for abuse in the organization.

Richard

Maybe I should look into a lawyer first and see if I need to document anything before I ask. Can anyone suggest a Lawyer for this kind of problem? I live in Atlanta, Georgia.

Presbyter

I would say since they provide you access that is similar to the IP if not as convienent that you probably would have problems on your side of a lawsuit.

Perhaps the best option for you would be to talk to your boss and explain how you can get the job done faster using an IP and see what their techs can come up with to keep your productivity up.

If you would manage to convice them to get you a side kick you have to remember that it's for business use and not causal chats. Since they'd be paying for it they would have access to records so you'd have to remember that. Never underestimate their ablity to track what or when you are using their equiptment.

Sometimes it's all about how you present the problem, telling them they have to do something when they are providing what is required vs explaining why the option you have used for the past couple of years is superior. good luck.

Whats the time limit for a company to provide a TDD? How long do one have to wait after they have asked for such TDD devices?

Presbyter

No time limit except what's reasonable for you to do your job. Does your job really require a TTY? If you can't do your job without the phone, then they'd be smart to get you one right away. If your job doesn't require you to use the phone, then why should you get one?

I would say that if they said they were getting you a TTY, and then marked you up at work for not doing things that you can only do with the TTY, then you would definitely have recourse.

Again, why are you in a hurry to get the TTY?

Maybe I should look into a lawyer first and see if I need to document anything before I ask. Can anyone suggest a Lawyer for this kind of problem? I live in Atlanta, Georgia.

Presbyter

Don't go to a lawyer FIRST! Always try to settle grevious issues at the lowest possible level. Start with your boss and get a feel for what he/she thinks or the extent of his/her willingness to assist you. Not going that route will only alienate your boss.

If you would manage to convice them to get you a side kick you have to remember that it's for business use and not causal chats. Since they'd be paying for it they would have access to records so you'd have to remember that. Never underestimate their ablity to track what or when you are using their equiptment.

I remember reading in a ADA manual or some sort of listings required for companies, that the TDD users are allowed to make personal calls during lunch and breaks such as taking care of bills and sort. I don't know about personal calls but it sounds like its in the documents. Is this true? Can someone verify that?

Presbyter

No time limit except what's reasonable for you to do your job. Does your job really require a TTY? If you can't do your job without the phone, then they'd be smart to get you one right away. If your job doesn't require you to use the phone, then why should you get one?

I would say that if they said they were getting you a TTY, and then marked you up at work for not doing things that you can only do with the TTY, then you would definitely have recourse.

Again, why are you in a hurry to get the TTY?

I thought to post what I sent to one level of red tape. He said he'll forward it to another level of red tape.:
-----------
I've have become dependent on IP based systems and (mycompany) cut me off when they upgraded the network system. Can you ask the IT personnel to adjust the firewall so I can use the IP based systems? My key reason for keeping AIM is so that others can contact me via one phone number, instead of 2 with TTY relay on dedicated phone lines at three locations which I don't have.

Several solutions could be:

1) Re-open AIM access on the firewall to make an exception for me alone at two locations.
2) Get me a portable device that'll serve the same function without having to go through the corporate' firewall such as T-Mobile's Sidekick (cell phone)
3) Other possible solutions. Email me or leave message at (myiprelaynumber) for the other solutions.
------------------

I hope I said it right. My job doesn't require a TDD but there no access to 911 and that might be required. My job is the same as those around me. They get calls and make calls to make things happen. My job title is the same as some of them. My pc is down? I make a call to the systems guy. I'm missing info or pictures? I make a call to find them. Something has to go out tonight, They call them for info on where to find them. Phone rings at his desk. He's not there. Phone rings at the other guys desk, He's not there , either. Phone rings again at another guy's desk and not there. I can hear as a severe-profound HOH with hearing aids, the phone rings. My number is listed in the listings. Some know I can do the job that need to get done but I don't know if I got a call since I lost connection to my AIM on my pc. Sometimes I get a number that tried to call me in my emails but I don't know if the relay are require to send email on every number that tried to call me.

Anyway, I can go on and on about why i should get a AIM access. I can list on why it will save them money hundreds times over. I'm in a hurry so I can grow with the company in the direction I want to go and have that ability to do the job.

Now back to the ADA documents. I read lots of things that tells us that we have the same rights as others. I have lots of abilities to do the jobs extremely well and is documented in the ADA that companies are required to work with the HOH/deaf. Besides the fire alarm about my head at work doesn't work. I want to work and educate companies that we need to think about what ADA are saying so we can make our children's lives easier in the future. So is CoolieFroggie right? Is ADA a scam? Does it work? I didn't think of it till now that CoolieFroggie must have given up on something and expressed that these legal stuff are sometimes useless.

Presbyter

Don't go to a lawyer FIRST! Always try to settle grevious issues at the lowest possible level. Start with your boss and get a feel for what he/she thinks or the extent of his/her willingness to assist you. Not going that route will only alienate your boss.

I wouldn't tell the Lawyer to take action. I just want to know more about my own rights. I need to know what is real and what is a scam as cooliefroggie might be suggesting. If I know my rights, I can work with my bosses better and know what I'm saying. In the business world, many don't know what they are saying and they created red tapes so it's designed to fall back to the first person. In other words, the red tape has loop holes and even loops back around the first person so the first person can run it through again.
I want to grow with the company and can do my job very well. Am I stuck in my position cause I'm HOH? I don't think so. AIM can help.

If I do ask a lawyer to take action, I'll be wise to get another job ahead of time. I can make other companies make money many times over. Isn't that what Stevie Wonder did to the music world? I have good vision as my job requires it.

Maybe I just don't know how a approach my bosses about that.

Prebyter

Back