As A Child, What Was Your FIRST Sign Language?

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a child, what was your FIRST sign language that you had learned or what was the FIRST sign language you had taught your baby/child?...

I taught all my three boys when they were 1 years old the sign of " ily "....

What about you guys?...

Good thread :hug:

No, I dont teach my children how to use sign language. They learn from me automaic from seeing me and my hubby sign.

I signed with voice to my sons since their birth.

I remember their first sign when Danny was 6 months old.... He showed me his sign with finger into his mouth. I know what he mean is he´s hungry for eat.. his hand on mouth - drinking. Few months later.... sign "bye"... from 1 year old he begin to sign bit to bit.........

Alan use his development bit late than Danny.

They both sign full like deafies. I never teach them how to sign... They learn from us themselves thru saw their parents´s sign language.

Danny understand me without voice...
Alan understand me with voice...
They are different but they sign good... Honestly, Danny is more better but I´m proud to have both sons.

Danny told me few weeks ago that he would like to become interpeter as 2nd job. I told him to finish his school first then............

^Angel^ said:
As a child, what was your FIRST sign language that you had learned or what was the FIRST sign language you had taught your baby/child?...

I taught all my three boys when they were 1 years old the sign of " ily "....

What about you guys?...

Both my niece and nephew were born hearing, but they both know the sign for "ily". They were tought by their babysitter, who is also hearing, when they were toddlers.

Sorry, it´s my mistake... it´s not 6 months but almost 8 months old... I just check his baby diary... I added his every first movement... It´s soon to be 8 months old... first sign... eat and drink... bye one month later...

Sorry again for my mistake... :Oops:

Yeah , alot of hearing people knows that sign and " ily ' signs are pretty easy for the little ones who has little fingers LOL...

Both of my boys learned "ily" "Sorry" "Mommy" "Please" "Daddy" "Drink" " Their name signs" "Thank-you" and other small simple signs. :thumb:

If Jordan likes you he would sign "Ily" If he doesn't like you he would sign "2 peace" LOL! He never gave me a 2 peace sign I guess because I'm his mommy ;)

I think you misunderstand everyones..
Angel.. you're refering that child spoke 1st word??

When they were tiny babies as 5mos-8mos avearage.. *Barely remmy their age of mos*
My 1st son was spoke 1st word: Ma
My 2nd daughter was spoke 1st word: Milk
My 3rd son was spoke first word: DaDa

Bullym0m said:
I think you misunderstand everyones..
Angel.. you're refering that child spoke 1st word??

When they were tiny babies as 5mos-8mos avearage.. *Barely remmy their age of mos*
My 1st son was spoke 1st word: Ma
My 2nd daughter was spoke 1st word: Milk
My 3rd son was spoke first word: DaDa

She meant first words in sign language, not first word in spoken english language.

as same sign langauges..

rest my case extactly my children spoke ASL
*finger pokes on face" ma " and *finger pokes on forehead "Da"
Grasp hands forth sign for MILK..
My kids did that first word ASL

I think "Milk" was the first word of sign language when the child was a toddler or maybe about 8-9mos. I will have to check it out somewhere in the video box or else as I did wrote it down the date on the piece of paper but right now, I'm not sure exactly age. Second, sign lang was "Eat" and then for the rest followed a lesson how to sign for "Mama" "Dada". The "Cookie" was the one of the hardest part for the infant age. It's not that easy for sibling didnt do right becuz s/he didnt know "C" for the fingerspelling yet. This babe only know with one poking finger down on the other hand palm that s/he really meant "Thanks" for appreciated his favorite cookie.

my mom said my first sign language was "ball" my parents were disappointed because they wanted "ma" or "da" nooo but they were ok bec my maiden name is "Ball" no kidding.

My oldest boy. first sign was dog before second, milk
my youngest was milk before second, more

Bullym0m said:

Oh Yeah!, I do know what you meant because both of my boys did the same thing I have a picture of Markus doing that when he was young, I'll have to find it and post it up and show you. ;)

Originally Posted by Bullym0m

my boys does it too

My daughter was first sign when she was 9 months old. She signed Dada
My son was first sign when he was about 8 or 9 months old. He signed hand on chest which mean Breastfeeding. Cute!
Now they signs so many words which i lost counting!
They learned alot of signs from DF and me. :)
Mommyof3

Bullym0m said:

Oh yeah... my sons do the same to me like what you said...

"mamma"
"papa" :laugh2:

I didn't start signing until I was 9. Hmm, I can't remember the first word I signed. :eek:

i had to ask mom.. i spoke mama but signed cow, horse and dog that was it when i was 1 yr old...

Umm I asked my mother and she does remmy I spoke BALL and sign same time. She think it is first word for me. I look at my baby book... there is no frist word in sign language. Mama is my frist word (speak)

In your mind, I not have any kids... I not know how or if my cats has first word ? heh

Back