Articles on Audism

CSign

Reaction score
I've been trying to research articles on Audism. I've come across some, but I'm starting this thread to see what else is out there. I'm trying to put something together, and I am interested in thoughtful articles.

So, if you've read an article or book that was clear about Audism, and the different ways it can present itself, please share.

This is not a thread to editorialize or name call. It is strictly for informational purposes, to share with others who would benefit from a better understanding of what it really is.

from Audism: Exploring the Metaphysics of Oppression (Bauman, Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 2004)

3 proposed definitions of Audism:
  1. The notion that one is superior based on one’s ability to hear or behave in the manner of one who hears. [Tom Humphries (1975)]
  2. A system of advantage based on hearing ability. [adapted from Wellman’s (1993) definition of racism and is mindful of Lane’s (1992) discussion of institutionalized audism]
  3. A metaphysical orientation that links human identity with speech. [presented at the Deaf Studies VI conference by Bahan and Bauman (2000)]

Tom Humphries' bio at Gallaudet
Audism: Exploring the Metaphysics of Oppression" (Oxford Jrnl of Deaf Studies & Deaf Ed, 2004) tracing the development of the concept of "audism" from the time Humphries first minted the term in the mid 70s.

Back