Article about theories of dog evolution

no, I don't agree with taming foxes either-

Don't know why that museum had the exhibit. I believe it was shut down after the guy left and was not re-instituted. Don't believe today one could be started. I wondered this too, at the time and am glad there wasn't an attempt to have another.
I don't know where the animals there, came from. I think sanctuaries or rescues for the specific types of animals, would be better than having them as an exhibit.

I pretty much tried to do as much animal-related things as i could, as a kid.
I can still remember copying from my children's "how to live with a budgie" type handbook, when I was 9 ish. I thought I was "writing a book about animals" and I found it fascinating, so I copied it in clumsy children's block printing.
I also wrote little stories I made up, about other animals.

:'( you seem like you were flustered by not being able to have a pet... Besides training have you managed to get more involved as an adult?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

yeah, I probably was then. One of my childhood friends had an array of pets - fish, parakeets, dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs - and since I spent so much time over her house, I got to spend a lot of time with the pets, too.
However, the environment there toward the kids and the interactions between the parents - are what would be considered to a degree abusive or at the least, fairly derogatory, today <and alcohol was involved> and that atmosphere and practice trickled down to the pets too, so I learned a lot about what -not- to do as well.
example: there was a lot of yelling among everybody, name calling...the kids could get upset and throw things at each other....and I remember seeing debris in the fish tank <little plastic kids things, socks>.....the kids would stuff the cat in a blanket and swing it around like a rope between them...I thought it was weird or bad, but didn't know how to say anything about it. I was emotionally and behaviorally awkward or behind as a child, as is common with many people with learning disabilities

So in my adulthood, I've been involved in a number of things - Rottie and pittie rescue, training and attempting to compete in Noswork with my youngest dog - the one who got sidelined with her knee. We were actually wait-listed to trial twice and the 2nd time around we got in but then she blew her knee...

I used to work at a holistic pet supply shop and we had people come with of course any number/type of dogs, but we also had people come in with iguanas and cats on leashes.

I volunteer at a local animal shelter in behavior modification and have assisted in teaching numerous dog training classes. I have experience working with deaf dogs.

yeah, I probably was then. One of my childhood friends had an array of pets - fish, parakeets, dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs - and since I spent so much time over her house, I got to spend a lot of time with the pets, too.
However, the environment there toward the kids and the interactions between the parents - are what would be considered to a degree abusive or at the least, fairly derogatory, today <and alcohol was involved> and that atmosphere and practice trickled down to the pets too, so I learned a lot about what -not- to do as well.
example: there was a lot of yelling among everybody, name calling...the kids could get upset and throw things at each other....and I remember seeing debris in the fish tank <little plastic kids things, socks>.....the kids would stuff the cat in a blanket and swing it around like a rope between them...I thought it was weird or bad, but didn't know how to say anything about it. I was emotionally and behaviorally awkward or behind as a child, as is common with many people with learning disabilities

So in my adulthood, I've been involved in a number of things - Rottie and pittie rescue, training and attempting to compete in Noswork with my youngest dog - the one who got sidelined with her knee. We were actually wait-listed to trial twice and the 2nd time around we got in but then she blew her knee...

I used to work at a holistic pet supply shop and we had people come with of course any number/type of dogs, but we also had people come in with iguanas and cats on leashes.

I volunteer at a local animal shelter in behavior modification and have assisted in teaching numerous dog training classes. I have experience working with deaf dogs.

Nice... Feel bad mentioning my mini zoo... As an adult I mainly foster and board dogs and train people more than dogs lol there are not many good clubs out here but still like and will get involved I the personal protection training and schtzuhund training.... I enjoy working dogs more than pets...

no need to feel bad, Jezie!

our breeder has been involved in Schutzhund; I've never had dogs who were appropriate for it. But here's a shot of one amazing dog who we got to meet is in the bloodlines of many of the breeder's dogs: http://www.esmondrott.com/yngo.htm
he was an Sch111 <among other things>and overall amazing dog, he just had this presence and joy. My husband and I will feel forever honored we got to meet him and interact with him.

he used to love to play with and smash watermelons. In his honor one year we bought small organic watermelons for my girls and let them have at it. Here's a link to a set of Rottie/watermelon<and some general "black and tan fun"> photos in honor of "Yngo Day"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10458905@N02/6137465224/in/photostream/

<the arrows on the edges can scroll through>

the first photo that comes up is Kaylee - my young one - and her brother Dante.

oh- in the set, Kaylee <mine> is wearing a purple collar and is the smallest of the bunch of black and tans. Violet <mine> is wearing a pink collar

no need to feel bad, Jezie!

our breeder has been involved in Schutzhund; I've never had dogs who were appropriate for it. But here's a shot of one amazing dog who we got to meet is in the bloodlines of many of the breeder's dogs: http://www.esmondrott.com/yngo.htm
he was an Sch111 <among other things>and overall amazing dog, he just had this presence and joy. My husband and I will feel forever honored we got to meet him and interact with him.

he used to love to play with and smash watermelons. In his honor one year we bought small organic watermelons for my girls and let them have at it. Here's a link to a set of Rottie/watermelon<and some general "black and tan fun"> photos in honor of "Yngo Day"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10458905@N02/6137465224/in/photostream/

<the arrows on the edges can scroll through>

the first photo that comes up is Kaylee - my young one - and her brother Dante.

Nice :) i love watching them at play :)

:ty: yeah I do too!

don't know if you moved all the way through, but you may have seen some non-black and tans in there<!> - there's a Corgi in some of the Rottie shots - that blond woman in those scenes had my girl's sire and lives with both Corgis and Rotties. She competes in agility with the Corgis and sometimes with the Rotties.

you may also have seen the sable houndy/shepherd-y lookinig dog with the tail - he was Fred. Dear soul from the shelter where I volunteer. An elderly boy who I think was a found dog, I used to take him on car rides and to some dog-friendly places. He loved car rides and was very hound-y, indeed, so I brought him to my backyard a few times just to let him off-leash so he could run around in a fenced-in environment and smell all the brush we had back there. We also had a brush pile where small animals lived and just lots of growth, left over from the previous homeowner who had been someone who loved gardening. We don't garden <as you could probably tell looking at some of those yard scenes where we're doing the watermelon>, so stuff was brush and trees was just leftover when we moved there.

The watermelon and in-the-house scenes are shots from our previous house. We moved to where we are now in /12.

and yes, Fred was ADOPTED :D

Thanks again for looking at the pictures!

:ty: yeah I do too!

don't know if you moved all the way through, but you may have seen some non-black and tans in there<!> - there's a Corgi in some of the Rottie shots - that blond woman in those scenes had my girl's sire and lives with both Corgis and Rotties. She competes in agility with the Corgis and sometimes with the Rotties.

you may also have seen the sable houndy/shepherd-y lookinig dog with the tail - he was Fred. Dear soul from the shelter where I volunteer. An elderly boy who I think was a found dog, I used to take him on car rides and to some dog-friendly places. He loved car rides and was very hound-y, indeed, so I brought him to my backyard a few times just to let him off-leash so he could run around in a fenced-in environment and smell all the brush we had back there. We also had a brush pile where small animals lived and just lots of growth, left over from the previous homeowner who had been someone who loved gardening. We don't garden <as you could probably tell looking at some of those yard scenes where we're doing the watermelon>, so stuff was brush and trees was just leftover when we moved there.

The watermelon and in-the-house scenes are shots from our previous house. We moved to where we are now in /12.

and yes, Fred was ADOPTED :D

Thanks again for looking at the pictures!

Yep looked through them :) awesome... He is a cutie too. I could not work at a shelter... I would end up with way too many dogs lol... Fostering is hard enough, but I end up Fostering dogs with someone in mind so that helps a lot :)

:ty:/appreciate :D I thought Fred was a cutie, very sweet old soul. So glad he went home!

I'm there as a volunteer but many people say that - that they couldn't work in a shelter. I honestly don't know either if I could work there, or go there every day, knowing what I know.

I encourage myself with the number of adoptions through the specific behavioral program I'm in - we had our 1000th couple of months ago and subsequent celebration about it! These are dogs who prior to the implementation of the Behavior Dpt and this specific program, would not have passed the intake eval's and been PTS.

My first few months at the shelter as a volunteer, the first two dogs I ever worked with there - were my two "beloveds" a big brindle pittie boy and adult female Rottie, the Rottie being similar in size and temperament to my big girl here.
I will always remember them. I tried very hard to get them both into rescue as I/we kinda saw "the writing in the wall" as things went on with these two dogs <that is, it wasn't looking promising that they'd go home>. Both 2-ish yr old or so dogs who'd had no direction, so lots of lack of impulse control, fence-fighting in general.....both dogs dog-intolerant in the shelter, with the Rottie female also have the typical Rottie guardian temperament that doesn't lend itself well to a shelter situation. Neither dog was able to cope and the female's condition actually began to deteriorate, so the decision was made.
The two dogs were Romeo and Olive. Olive the Rottie ended up being part of picture collage on an early glossy educational card about the then-new program. I retained the information so I could have her picture. That was in 2010.

Since then I've worked with many "bite-case" dogs or dogs who weren't going to go home, because part of what we try to do is make whatever time in the shelter, for however long, be enriching for the dog.
I kinda think of the bite-case dogs as "hamburger dogs" as many times I've gone and gotten a dog a burger on his or her last day. I don't think I could go into the final room if it were a Rottie or a pittie, to be honest.
But I remember cupcakes <dog bakery> and burgers and walks in the sun, or a special game with a dog, as the last time I saw them.

:ty:/appreciate :D I thought Fred was a cutie, very sweet old soul. So glad he went home!

I'm there as a volunteer but many people say that - that they couldn't work in a shelter. I honestly don't know either if I could work there, or go there every day, knowing what I know.

I encourage myself with the number of adoptions through the specific behavioral program I'm in - we had our 1000th couple of months ago and subsequent celebration about it! These are dogs who prior to the implementation of the Behavior Dpt and this specific program, would not have passed the intake eval's and been PTS.

My first few months at the shelter as a volunteer, the first two dogs I ever worked with there - were my two "beloveds" a big brindle pittie boy and adult female Rottie, the Rottie being similar in size and temperament to my big girl here.
I will always remember them. I tried very hard to get them both into rescue as I/we kinda saw "the writing in the wall" as things went on with these two dogs <that is, it wasn't looking promising that they'd go home>. Both 2-ish yr old or so dogs who'd had no direction, so lots of lack of impulse control, fence-fighting in general.....both dogs dog-intolerant in the shelter, with the Rottie female also have the typical Rottie guardian temperament that doesn't lend itself well to a shelter situation. Neither dog was able to cope and the female's condition actually began to deteriorate, so the decision was made.
The two dogs were Romeo and Olive. Olive the Rottie ended up being part of picture collage on an early glossy educational card about the then-new program. I retained the information so I could have her picture. That was in 2010.

Since then I've worked with many "bite-case" dogs or dogs who weren't going to go home, because part of what we try to do is make whatever time in the shelter, for however long, be enriching for the dog.
I kinda think of the bite-case dogs as "hamburger dogs" as many times I've gone and gotten a dog a burger on his or her last day. I don't think I could go into the final room if it were a Rottie or a pittie, to be honest.
But I remember cupcakes <dog bakery> and burgers and walks in the sun, or a special game with a dog, as the last time I saw them.

:'( it is good that you could give them a treat... It is sad because with proper training and tools for a biting dog, many of them could be rehabilitated... But sadly it takes so much time, effort, and money that the resources are not there... Then again trust and follow up would be a must... Again a lot of time and money that most people do not want to put into ''lost causes'' and dogs that are put down for biting... Sucks worse because that I put firmly on the owner not the dog... Yet they get off Scott free it seems...

Back