Arriving as Pregnant Tourists, Leaving With American Babies

TheOracle

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/us/29babies.html?_r=1&hp

For months, officials say, the house was home to “maternity tourists,” in this case, women from China who had paid tens of thousands of dollars to deliver their babies in the United States, making the infants automatic American citizens. Officials shut down the home, sending the 10 mothers who had been living there with their babies to nearby motels.

“These were not women living in squalor — it was a well taken care of place and clean, but there were a lot of women and babies,” said Clayton Anderson, a city inspector who shut down the house on March 9. “I have never seen anything like this before. We really couldn’t determine the exact number of people living there.”

:shock: I feel awfully privileged to live in a country that so many covet...

*thinks a moment*

Also, we don't spend $2k on a handbag made in China or Mexico.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/us/29babies.html?_r=1&hp

:shock: I feel awfully privileged to live in a country that so many covet...

Maybe it's so that if they have a girl they can give it up for adoption on the spot and return home, and not have to worry about it in China. If it's a boy it gets the benefit of being an American and Chinese citizen I believe. They do this because boys are favored in China to preserve the family name for generations.

Last weekend I met a guy with dual citizenship by birth. He was born in Germany to an American father and a German mother. He speaks both languages and has been to Germany to see his mother's family before his parents divorced and his mother returned to Germany. He said he has a half-sister that is finishing high school out there that he is aware of.

Somehow I doubt they'd pay tens of thousands of dollars just to "save" a fetus.

Maybe not, but from what I understand the Chinese middle class and upper class is rapidly expanding, so it's possible some are doing this.

I'm not sure if China and the United States have an agreement about dual citizenship between the two countries. Dual citizenship has it's benefits yanno.

No agreement is necessary.

What I'm saying is -- there aren't many people who would spend 20k just to give a baby up for adoption. Plus...early ultrasounds and access to abortions make it easy for middle class to gender select.

Again, I'm 100 per cent sure these women aren't coming here for adoption purposes. Besides, if they wanted to do that, they could just turn the babies over to an orphanage in China.

That was what happened in Ireland. Women from poor parts of Europe'd hop on a plane and arrive in Ireland then give birth automatically making the baby a Irish citizen.

Ireland has since made that impossible by making a law to prevent this.

I believe it might be one of the reason why women are not allowed to fly internationally if they're 6 months or more pregnant.

No agreement is necessary.

What I'm saying is -- there aren't many people who would spend 20k just to give a baby up for adoption. Plus...early ultrasounds and access to abortions make it easy for middle class to gender select.

Again, I'm 100 per cent sure these women aren't coming here for adoption purposes. Besides, if they wanted to do that, they could just turn the babies over to an orphanage in China.

These orphanages are squalid at best where there are so many children there that many go neglected. I've been told of parents bringing their infant girl in to be adopted and the orphanage turns them away because they are literally over run with infants. However what's helping a little bit is that there's this current trend of American parents adopting children from China in a bid to rescue them from the horrible conditions they face in the orphanage. It's also possible that these children are being sold. Sounds far fetched, but its a thought and it's possible.

According to this article, they're going back home.

Again, wealthy women coming here to give birth to babies just for adoption purposes is not likely. Plus that law doesn't apply to everyone.

Back