are you transgender?

:wave:sure, no problem, amy!

I enjoy memoirs by unique people too. I was taught early as a child to look for things that struck me as -not-being inclusive....my mom was on a PTA textbook committee - one of many related activities she pursued when I was pre-high-school age and in the Special Ed. system in a public school. On this textbook committee she was supposed to go through new classroom texts and look for illustrations/pictures/charts that contributed to or portrayed stereotypes, and also look for the same things that showed people not stuck in "typical" roles -e.g.: only females with babies, athletes who used wheelchairs and so on. I always loved looking through books and loved being read to so she thought I might like to help and she told me to look for the same. So I did, starting probably in elementary school, as she was on this committee for some years.

Saavik, oh, I see. I understand your dilemma. maybe your college will surprise you:aw:

ahh the notification system on this thread is borked!

MEWTILATION - i'm from the DC area but may be moving to rochester after this winter.

SIERRA - if you're still reading this thread, would it be okay for me to add you as a contact/friend on here? then we can figure out how to stay in touch if you like.

SAAVIK - I will ask my trans* university student group for good online resources.

AMYLYNNE, DOGMOM - thanks for contributing to this thread!

Well holy beans if you're moving to Rochester you should have a PLETHORA of people up there to relate to I would think! Sounds like a good place to go! :D

yeah, that's the idea. the problem is finding a job in my field - it doesn't seem like a good idea to move up there without a job :(

museum industry. i will be getting a ba in history and art history (double major). i've worked with archives and art galleries, but it seems like the places hiring right now require advanced degrees that i can't afford yet....

Yeah, sad but true. I know I have 2 bachelors ( Also double majored ) and a bachelors now a days is like an associates. :roll: I just enrolled for the winter semester to start my Masters program, and MAN does it cost an arm and a leg! So I feel your pain. Don't feel too bad though, a good friend of mine has her bachelors in Art history and has a hard time finding anything relevant to her degree as well, so you're not alone! ( I'm in Florida though ) Finding a job out of state is a tough thing to do. Have you looked into other areas as well? New York would simply kill me on living expenses!

So my college doesn't have anything, but a local university does, but I have no way to contact them since they seem to only have a point of contact on facebook and I don't use facebook.

Emory & Henry Gay Straight Alliance

:aw:ohh, that sucks Saavik - I'm not on Facebook either.

acteaon, I hope things turn out for the better for you, regarding your possible move and the job:aw:

well, at least Rochester does seem = Deaf Nation

Maybe someone in this forum has a Facebook account and could get some information for Saavik?

saavik, the emory&henry uni group has an e-mail address on their about page: jcaudill09@ehc.edu - you could also try writing to that address.

thanks, dogmom.

mewtilation - good luck to you and your friend! an established museum professional on linkedin just told me that he doesn't think advanced degrees are critical for entry-level jobs and it's more about skills - maybe you could pass that along to her, give her a bit of a confidence boost. re: living expenses - it seems like upstate/west new york state isn't as bad as nyc, and i already live in a place with a really high cost of living :P but yeah i'm keeping an eye on the whole new england area. problem is it feels like always having to choose between deaf community and other communities. not fun.

My wife and i are both deaf and transgendered since 2001.... We have top surgeries done but not the bottom due to lack of finance....

saavik, the emory&henry uni group has an e-mail address on their about page: jcaudill09@ehc.edu - you could also try writing to that address.

thanks, dogmom.

mewtilation - good luck to you and your friend! an established museum professional on linkedin just told me that he doesn't think advanced degrees are critical for entry-level jobs and it's more about skills - maybe you could pass that along to her, give her a bit of a confidence boost. re: living expenses - it seems like upstate/west new york state isn't as bad as nyc, and i already live in a place with a really high cost of living :P but yeah i'm keeping an eye on the whole new england area. problem is it feels like always having to choose between deaf community and other communities. not fun.

Aww, well that's good news for you!

Also, if anyone makes you feel like you should have to choose, they can F**k themselves..... Be who you are, and belong to all the communities! I'm a deaf lesbo, and people can deal with it, or GTFO! :D You can be in my community! :D

I just sent an email, so I'm playing the waiting game for now, hopefully I can get the answers and advice I seek from other trans people and locally. I still have the feeling this group at E&H will only be made up of LGB and not T, but I always expect the worst because experience has taught me to, but I'll hope for the best.

Still haven't heard back from that email, not sure how to get in contact with them as I have a bunch of questions and nobody to get answers from locally.

I don't identify as male or female. I just don't feel like the genders match who I am, so I think of myself as a genderless person. But interestingly enough, I prefer to dress up as a guy even though my parents don't want me to - if I could, I would do all the necessary things to ensure my appearance possesses some of the physical characteristics of those two genders, while retaining my own characteristics.

I'm looking through the replies on this thread, and they're very interesting. If you want to talk some more, you can PM me.

Aww, well that's good news for you!

Also, if anyone makes you feel like you should have to choose, they can F**k themselves..... Be who you are, and belong to all the communities! I'm a deaf lesbo, and people can deal with it, or GTFO! :D You can be in my community! :D

Well said, Mewtilation! :D

I went with another trans woman to TDOR in Johnson City, TN last night which was at ETSU and she brought me clothes and everything and I for the first time in my life got to meet other trans people, both MtF and FtM, it was great!

If I can somehow save some money up, I'm moving out west to be away from my family, on my own and living as the woman I am full time rather than in secrecy. I may upload my picture to the forums now since I got one where I feel it's right, even if certain aspects need work, yesterday was my first time out in public presenting my real gender to the world.

Back