Are you deaf & dating a hearing person?

Allison22451

Reaction score
I am hearing with interest in Deaf culture. I have lived in two of the "big 3", for having the largest Deaf communities, Rochester, NY and Washington, DC

As a nurse I've had limited experience with culturally Deaf and HOH individuals. Recently I was asked on a date by a Deaf man. He's super fun and seems very patient. (As I currently dont know any sign language... although I'm eager to learn ASL). Im looking forward to our date. So, I would like to hear from those of you who are in Deaf/hearing relationships. The pros. The cons.*

As a Deaf person what is your preference? Dating a hearing person or a Deaf person?

Last edited:
Just what ever you do,dont tag us cinicaly deaf....-)
Well look. If you have the chemistry learning sign will follow...start with the naughY signs first...
If you lesnr asl...it can work..sure and be wicked...
If you dont then in my opinion it wont work...but you want to learn asl...so awsome...
Just Remember..asl is our language...and with that we have a culture...besides that plenty of Deaf guys, mysekf included love hearie chicks....
Go get em girl......

Just what ever you do,dont tag us cinicaly deaf....-)
Well look. If you have the chemistry learning sign will follow...start with the naughY signs first...
If you lesnr asl...it can work..sure and be wicked...
If you dont then in my opinion it wont work...but you want to learn asl...so awsome...
Just Remember..asl is our language...and with that we have a culture...besides that plenty of Deaf guys, mysekf included love hearie chicks....
Go get em girl......

I used "clinically" because I'm a nurse and I've worked with many-many patients who are deaf or HOH as a result of old age.... but none who were born deaf and very few who became deaf as a result of injury or illness. So, I apologize for the use of wrong terminology.

It seems to me, in my admittedly limited research on the subject, that more deaf men are open or prefer dating hearing women.... than deaf women who prefer dating hearing men. In your experience do you find that to be true? If so, why do you think that is?

I used "clinically" because I'm a nurse and I've worked with many-many patients who are deaf or HOH as a result of old age.... but none who were born deaf and very few who became deaf as a result of injury or illness. So, I apologize for the use of wrong terminology.

It seems to me, in my admittedly limited research on the subject, that more deaf men are open or prefer dating hearing women.... than deaf women who prefer dating hearing men. In your experience do you find that to be true? If so, why do you think that is?

No worries re term you used...here is s couple of terms you need to know..
Deaf are Deaf who are cukturslly Deaf, we sign, in americs snd most of csnsds.ASL is oir language...we sign..some speak and sign..we prefer and use sign as our peimary languege. To us Deafm bieng Deaf is not a curse or medicsl condition to be cured. ts a gift. To be embraced and shared...
Deaf sre deaf. Who view themseles as dissbled and in need of a cure.snd treatment. And do not sign. and would prefer to be hearie if theu couLd.
As for last question...yeah i guess thinking sbout it more deafie guys seem to go for hearie chicks...as opposed to deafie chicks to.hearie guys....
In my experience...
Mmm
i love hearie women and deafie womwn...eheh
"-)

No worries re term you used...here is s couple of terms you need to know..
Deaf are Deaf who are cukturslly Deaf, we sign, in americs snd most of csnsds.ASL is oir language...we sign..some speak and sign..we prefer and use sign as our peimary languege. To us Deafm bieng Deaf is not a curse or medicsl condition to be cured. ts a gift. To be embraced and shared...
Deaf sre deaf. Who view themseles as dissbled and in need of a cure.snd treatment. And do not sign. and would prefer to be hearie if theu couLd.
As for last question...yeah i guess thinking sbout it more deafie guys seem to go for hearie chicks...as opposed to deafie chicks to.hearie guys....
In my experience...
Mmm
i love hearie women and deafie womwn...eheh
"-)

I totally get that Deaf people aren't disabled. The guy I'm interested in has never heard a sound. He has exceptional verbal/writing/lip reading skills... in addition to ASL being his primary form of communication. He's social, does a lot of traveling, and is active in his community.

LOL @ your personal dating preferences. Sounds like you dig all women. Nothing wrong with that. Creates a larger dating pool.

This site seems to lack a lot of activity.... are there other sites or apps that also integrate deaf and hearing individuals that you would recommend?

I totally get that Deaf people aren't disabled. The guy I'm interested in has never heard a sound. He has exceptional verbal/writing/lip reading skills... in addition to ASL being his primary form of communication. He's social, does a lot of traveling, and is active in his community.

LOL @ your personal dating preferences. Sounds like you dig all women. Nothing wrong with that. Creates a larger dating pool.

This site seems to lack a lot of activity.... are there other sites or apps that also integrate deaf and hearing individuals that you would recommend?

wicked your Interested in him......go get em girl.....lucky deafie....'-)
As for other sites..Cant think of any like alldeaf...with more activity.....
Yes i dig all women haha....

I am hoh and never dated a deaf or hoh man. I never been part of the deaf culture there was none around me and you really did nothing wrong saying
"clinically" . I hate that new people are always being made to feel they have to apologize all the time. We might as well use ou right to freedom of speech while we still have.

I am hoh and never dated a deaf or hoh man. I never been part of the deaf culture there was none around me and you really did nothing wrong saying
"clinically" . I hate that new people are always being made to feel they have to apologize all the time. We might as well use ou right to freedom of speech while we still have.

I read today that there is something like 380,000,000 hearing people in the US.... and 1,000,000 deaf... so it makes sense that deaf people would date hearing. There's a lot more of us. Granted, there are some cities, like DC (where I live), with a large deaf community. Making it easier for those who seek deaf/deaf relationships.

I don't mind being corrected. I'm very easy-going. I prefer to know the right way to do/say things. This afternoon I did some reading. I believe the term I should have used for my patients was "physically deaf"... and instead of "clinically" I should have referred to the other population as "culturally deaf". Correct? ... now I know... and "knowing is half the battle" - G.I. Joe. =)

That said, I get what you mean about political correctness going to extremes. It can be quite annoying when people make mountains out of mole hills. But I felt it was a gentle rebuke. It didn't come off as abrasive or rude.

You missunderstood.
She was asking about dating a Deaf guy...im Deaf,am a guy..
The best way for any hearie chick to blow.her chances at dating a Deaf guy, in my experience, is to tag him clinicaly...what ever..
She didnt have to apologize to me, i wasnt offended. I was trying to do her a favour...
As for.freedom of speech, by all means wds tag anyone.anyway you like....thats fine by me...
I doubT by doing that you will get any dates, which is what the op is aboit..dating a Deafie.
NoW why is that?
Its because us Deaf dont measure ourselves by the medical discourse of deafness. So using thaat ususlly is a turn off.
We are Deaf. there is. Difference...
anyway....good luck allison

I read today that there is something like 380,000,000 hearing people in the US.... and 1,000,000 deaf... so it makes sense that deaf people would date hearing. There's a lot more of us. Granted, there are some cities, like DC (where I live), with a large deaf community. Making it easier for those who seek deaf/deaf relationships.

I don't mind being corrected. I'm very easy-going. I prefer to know the right way to do/say things. This afternoon I did some reading. I believe the term I should have used for my patients was "physically deaf"... and instead of "clinically" I should have referred to the other population as "culturally deaf". Correct? ... now I know... and "knowing is half the battle" - G.I. Joe. =)

That said, I get what you mean about political correctness going to extremes. It can be quite annoying when people make mountains out of mole hills. But I felt it was a gentle rebuke. It didn't come off as abrasive or rude.

im thr least politicaly correct guy around. all cool.
The easiest way is to use the small d.
deaf. For those adiologicly deaf, but do not sign and eant to be hearing. Whether they can be or not.
The capital D
Deaf for Deaf who sign, and are culturaly Deaf.
This convention hws been around for a little over a century. And is convienient snd is fluid as are most things with people...

im thr least politicaly correct guy around. all cool.
The easiest way is to use the small d.
deaf. For those adiologicly deaf, but do not sign and eant to be hearing. Whether they can be or not.
The capital D
Deaf for Deaf who sign, and are culturaly Deaf.
This convention hws been around for a little over a century. And is convienient snd is fluid as are most things with people...

THANKS!
All tips are welcomed and appreciated.

I will never date hearing gals, because of my experiences in the past, things will not work due to lack of understanding deaf culture, and lack perspective of deaf and hearing world.

How was your date? :lol:

Well I'm in the camp that if it's meant to be then it'll happen regardless of disabilities or race or religion or whatever the issue may be.

My only question is if you're dating a deaf guy and yet you barely know ASL how do you do communication? You can only be so romantic writing notes or doing rudimentary sign language.

FWIW I briefly dated a hearing girl and the issue wasn't really my hearing but her fear of committment.

I think it would be cool to get to know someone who may be hard of hearing but it's honestly not a big deal.

It's probably more important to date someone for who they are, not based on if they can hear or not. Just my input I guess!

I'm deaf and would prefer deaf or HOH, but that's just me.

I am HOH too but I don't think a lot of hearing people understand what that means so I tell them I am deaf when talking on the phone hoping this will get the person to talk a little slower and a louder .

I think it would be cool to get to know someone who may be hard of hearing but it's honestly not a big deal.

It's probably more important to date someone for who they are, not based on if they can hear or not. Just my input I guess!

It was more importance to me if a guy like pets b/c I always had a dog or cat or both.

For both,is important the comunication.If they cannot understand it..can be destroyed that relantioship.
-Deaf girl+ deaf guy=perfect
-Deaf girl + normal guy (without ASL)=problem
-Deaf girl +normal guy (with ASL)= perfect
Same for deaf guy and normal girl. :)

Back