Are you a writer?

Berry

Reaction score
I started a new group.

I love to write. Been doing it all my life. Haven't sold anything in over 30 years so I decline to call myself a published writer. Would not matter if I ever sold anything or not I would still write.

I can't find the exact quote but Orson Scott Card said, "If you write you are a writer. If you are not a very good writer you may not sell anything, but you are still a writer."

Some people just love to write. Some do it just for themselves, others want to be published. Whatever the reason it seems like all of a sudden there are a lot of people here who are interested in writing so I decided to start a group for writers. All writers of all kinds of things, whether it be fact or fiction, self help or how to, regardless of genre.

As Bottisini pointed out there suddenly seem to be a lot of hearies wanting to write about D/deaf people. I have to say I have no plans for that. Not saying I never would or never will, but everything I have in the works is about hearing folk.

Surely there must be some Deaf people around here who love to write, and maybe they want to write about hearies.

So if you love to write why don't you join us to learn, write, and have fun.

I wrote a play :D

Screen, stage, or television?

What software did you use, if any? I use Sophocles . They give you a trial version with no time limit that you can write complete screenplays on. Its only real drawback is that when it prints it shows that you are using an unpurchased copy of Sophocles.

I own a copy.

You are right. I did not understand.

Will read it when I am rested and my mind is clear.

I am a writer. I have started writing in 1999. 7 altogether and over 40 poems, all unpublished. I am planning to send out my memior real soon!!!

Screen, stage, or television?

What software did you use, if any? I use Sophocles . They give you a trial version with no time limit that you can write complete screenplays on. Its only real drawback is that when it prints it shows that you are using an unpurchased copy of Sophocles.

I own a copy.

I will check that software out. I wrote scripts once, about 7 pages for the fun of it few years ago from a novella of mine...

I plan on joing Script Frenzy in April...you might want to check that out on a website if you never heard of it. You must write 100 pages script a month.

Does this mean we don't want you writing a play about us because it is bad joojoos?

it means it would be hard to follow and wouldn't make much sence

Berry,

I'm a writer, but unfortunately, I don't join any groups as I don't want to get into any copyright infringements with my work or others.

pek1,

Not a problem.

Not saying it couldn't happen. I've only had my work stolen twice. Once was by a teacher when I was a kid who published it as a kid's story under her own name -- The insult was she didn't even give me a decent grade on it. The other was by an idiot who found a bunch of my first, second, and third drafts and didn't even realize you don't send handwritten notes off to publishers.

I found out who did it when he told me what a lousy writer I was because nothing had sold.

One of your best protections is to save all of your rewrites from first draft to final copy. As no thief will ever have these you will always have a pretty solid case.

pek1,

Not a problem.

Not saying it couldn't happen. I've only had my work stolen twice. Once was by a teacher when I was a kid who published it as a kid's story under her own name -- The insult was she didn't even give me a decent grade on it. . . .

Did you tell your parents about it? You should have and they should have reported it to the school's principal. She plagiarized your work and should have been disciplined for it, including the loss of her job. There was a professor in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN) who got caught by her student for doing this, although the class was an online one, if I recall correctly about it. Last I heard, the professor denied it. I have no idea how this turned out.

As for writing stuff and saving it, best to put your name on it with either the "C" in a circle with the year date or write out "copyright 2009" or whatever year it was written with your name on it.

By the way, the logos, colors and everything else identifying http://www.alldeaf.com is copyrighted, including all the posts that everyone makes on it. Alex owns AD; hence, he owns the copyrights and all other rights associated with this website.

Did you tell your parents about it? You should have and they should have reported it to the school's principal. She plagiarized your work and should have been disciplined for it, including the loss of her job. There was a professor in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN) who got caught by her student for doing this, although the class was an online one, if I recall correctly about it. Last I heard, the professor denied it. I have no idea how this turned out.

As for writing stuff and saving it, best to put your name on it with either the "C" in a circle with the year date or write out "copyright 2009" or whatever year it was written with your name on it.

By the way, the logos, colors and everything else identifying Deaf Chat | People Deaf Culture - AllDeaf.com is copyrighted, including all the posts that everyone makes on it. Alex owns AD; hence, he owns the copyrights and all other rights associated with this website.

Sorry. got busy and Just noticed your reply.

That happened with the teacher when I was a kid forty plus years ago.

That's too bad. Nowdays, people lose their jobs claiming their work like that and colleges and universities (especially mine) have policies about academic dishonesty. I don't know of anyone who got into trouble, but what could happen is they get expelled or take an F grade in the course. I'm sure that any submitted work in the future will be checked automatically.

I have written a couple newspaper articles for our campus one and have brought this up to the advisor that I believe an article of mine was plagiarized by another writer. What's funny is that part of his article is in mine and parts of mine are in his. Actually, when I read both, I wasn't amused. So, I limit my articles for that paper.

I write fiction mostly, the exact genre tends to wain between fantasy and crime drama, with some borderline erotica thrown in. (I tend to want to write out those damned love scenes between the angels and humans... uhm lets just say it reaches new highs).

But to be a good writer, you have to do more than just write - you have to read as well. Read LOTS of books to expand your vocabulary, and at that read many different genres. Also read the lesser known authors as well, not just the familiar mainstream ones. Some of the juicier stuff is often tucked away in a quiet corner of the bookstore or library. If you can't afford to buy books - borrow them from a library or friends.

If you can't find time to read, just 5 minutes a day can help.

Also as a writer, as dependent as I am on word processors and such, sometimes the literal act of writing is what gets me really going. I've been known to do a 1,000 word push on pen and paper. My hand was sore, but my writing was probably better and more thought out because I had to slow down and think about each word more.

Back