Are there any "real" tinnitus remedies?

RonJaxon

Reaction score
OK, I posted about having Tinnitus since I had my CI surgery last month and a few people here, as well as my doctors, said it'll likely go away after using my CI for a while. I can understand that and I just got activated 4 days ago so it's probably to soon for that statement to be proven accurate or not.

But right now it's on full force and it's driving me nuts. The tinnitus is actually making it harder for me to pick up sounds through my CI. It's kind of over powering any sounds I'm picking up. I can still pick up sounds such as I'm now hearing the click of the keyboard as I'm typing. But the ringing is very loud.

I know what some of you might be thinking. Maybe what I think is tinnitus is actually sounds I'm really hearing through my CI. I wondered that myself but when I turn my CI off (or just pull the magnet part off) I'm still hearing the tinnitus ringing so it's not real sound. It is tinnitus.

I've looked around and find all kinds of "Stop tinnitus" products. Usually books with cheesy advertisements pages that look like scams (For example look at the link on the right of this forum). Wow, I just clicked the "Banish Tinnitus" link on the main page of this forum and guess what, it's been "Suspended". By that I mean the site has been banished. Kind of goes to prove what I just said about the advertisements being "Scams".

Anyway, I'm trying to wait and see if it'll indeed go away after a while from CI use. But right now it's so strong and driving me crazy that I wanted to come here and ask if anyone knows of any remedy that actually works.

Ron

I don't know of any remedy that takes away tinnitus...only helps but if you have a CI you take it off at the end of the night anyways..maybe one of the CI ppl have a trick that they used but I'm sure I read in the passed that they just dealt with it cuz there isn't much you can do...maybe your CI is too loud?

Ron,

I had terrible tinnitus for about a month after activation. Like you, I had a hard time hearing sounds and voices because the tinnitus was so loud. What I did was lower the volume or even take the CI off for about a half hour to get some relief. I also took it off in the evenings when I got home. Little by little, it got better, almost without me noticing.

Hang in there. I know it will get better for you over time.

Thank you for the reply.

It started about a week after my surgery. So I don't think it's a matter of my CI volume. Because it was happening before I was activated too. So far I can't find any "Trigger" that starts it. It happens at night when I don't have the CI on and also happens in the middle of the day out of the blue. It lasts anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours at a time.

Just sharing more specific details in case it's helpful.

Thanks again.

Ron

EDIT: Argentine and I must have posted at the same time because the above was in reply to AliciaM's post.

Thanks for the encouragement Argentine. At least I know others have experienced what I have. It seems the doctors brush over this issue. They don't give much of an answer. Just "It'll go away".

Ron, it's common to get tinnitus after the CI surgery.

I'd had those moments and they go away.

hmm i have tinnius in my right ear 24/7. it comes so loud and low for about 6 mths now. i know its annoying but after a while i kinda got used to it. but do kinda wonder if i get second implant in that ear ..... would it go away or hang around for life????

im getting nucleus 5 op date on march 26th 2010 in my left ear . no tinnius in my left ear. but i do fear i will develope a tinnius..........any thoughts on this?

regards hotmr2

When I went bilateral, I did not experience tinnitus at all, even after the surgery. So it's hard to tell whether you'll experience it with the second implant. I now get it very infrequently, if at all.

I have unilaterial tinnitus and its a real bother, it can be very distracting..i would hope a real solution for it is developing.

I have unilaterial tinnitus and its a real bother, it can be very distracting..i would hope a real solution for it is developing.

Because tinnitus is associated with hearing loss, stem cells would address both cases. I expect stem cells to be immensely popular for those who are significantly bothered by tinnitus, even if their hearing is half decent. Other tinnitus remedies are of little use, save your money for stem cells.

That's not necessarily true. There's no real link between "Hearing loss" and Tinnitus. None that I've read about anyway. There are plenty of people suffering tinnitus that have no hearing loss.

From what I've read some head injuries can bring it on. I remember when I was a kid getting it sometimes if I get hit in the head while playing. But that was just for a few minutes then it would go away.

Ron

Last edited:
I have heard some people have great success with accupuncture treatments lessening or eliminating tinnitus. My uncle is one of them.

Tinnitus

Hi Ron - noticed your questions about tinnitus. I too developed it after CI surgery on my right ear in April. Mine sounds much as you described it - very loud ringing that basically drowns out what I hear with the CI. Actually, I've heard sounds in my head for years (sleigh bells, helicoptors, birds chirping, etc. :) but NOTHING in comparison to this ringing!.

My first bad episode didn't occur until about a month after I was activated and it happened right when I was driving through Salt Lake City (on my way home to Montana from California). I didn't know what the heck was going on - thought there was something wrong with the CI till I figured out it didn't matter whether it was on or off.

What I've discovered is that (for me) caffeine (specifically diet coke) seems to be a big trigger. I will have an "episode" within 5 minutes of swallowing the stuff! Strangely, I seem to be able to tolerate coffee fairly well as long as I don't have too much in a day (I'm experimenting with decaffinated anyway but it just isn't the same!). I sure do miss my rum and cokes and am pretty sure I'll succomb to temptation and be ringing in the New Year :).

I'm scheduled to have an N5 implanted in my left ear on January 15th and am worried about having this problem in it too. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to have that going on in both ears at the same time!

I drink Mountain dew which is very high in caffeine. Maybe that's not helping matters. I'll look into that. Thanks.

I just got the N5. If you have any questions about it let me know.

Ron

Caffeine and salt can be triggers for some. Lemon can help tinnitus to a degree but it is a combination of a lot of stuff.
Surgery also as you know trigger it for some time.

I find that when I go in for mapping sessions, I can most of the time hear a faint ringing start off frequency when setting C levels. Even now, a year later, but it is quite faint and doesn't bother me any more. When I was first activated, yes, it was very noticeable and disapated over time. Couple months. I told the audiologist what electrode it was last mapping session but right now I don't remember which one it was 5, 6 or 7. It was one of the higher frequency electrodes.

I've just gotten to a computer to see how your doing.
Sounds like you are picking up some sounds. I'm sure it will improve a lot in time.

Good luck and keep positive thoughts.

OK, I posted about having Tinnitus since I had my CI surgery last month and a few people here, as well as my doctors, said it'll likely go away after using my CI for a while. I can understand that and I just got activated 4 days ago so it's probably to soon for that statement to be proven accurate or not.

But right now it's on full force and it's driving me nuts. The tinnitus is actually making it harder for me to pick up sounds through my CI. It's kind of over powering any sounds I'm picking up. I can still pick up sounds such as I'm now hearing the click of the keyboard as I'm typing. But the ringing is very loud.

I know what some of you might be thinking. Maybe what I think is tinnitus is actually sounds I'm really hearing through my CI. I wondered that myself but when I turn my CI off (or just pull the magnet part off) I'm still hearing the tinnitus ringing so it's not real sound. It is tinnitus.

I've looked around and find all kinds of "Stop tinnitus" products. Usually books with cheesy advertisements pages that look like scams (For example look at the link on the right of this forum). Wow, I just clicked the "Banish Tinnitus" link on the main page of this forum and guess what, it's been "Suspended". By that I mean the site has been banished. Kind of goes to prove what I just said about the advertisements being "Scams".

Anyway, I'm trying to wait and see if it'll indeed go away after a while from CI use. But right now it's so strong and driving me crazy that I wanted to come here and ask if anyone knows of any remedy that actually works.

Ron

I usually listen to Jimi Hendrix when that happens. Hope that helps.

I have heard some people have great success with accupuncture treatments lessening or eliminating tinnitus. My uncle is one of them.

I get intermittent tinnitus and acupuncture helps me tremendously with it! I can't guarantee it will help everyone but it sure does help me.

Yesterday I read that aspirin can be another trigger. I took 3 tablets a few days ago and did have a really loud, long episode - the first I'd had in a while - kind of freaked me out because I thought it was starting up again but it hasn't happened since - whew! So that's something to consider too.

Regarding the soda - when I quit drinking it the tinnitus stopped within 2 or 3 days. It was hard to give it up but getting results almost right away made it easier.

I just joined alldeaf and don't know your situation - are you deaf in your other ear? I hope the tinnitus events aren't happening to you too often - it is very disturbing when you can barely hear yourself think - let alone hear someone else talking.

seriously, no bullshit, i like v on in the background, -keep it low- just low enough so when ads comes on it doesn't scream, and take up wine-drinking, and cereal-eating, no jams, no peanuts, no sweets, (wine sweet enough if you're smart)...

and dont smoke weed, that will whump it up...(if you smoke it)

oh only drink half a bottle a day...or a one sixteenth of bottle of whiskey if you prefer to keep warm- not all in one go of course, nips and nips, to enjoy it

I am an ENT Doctor and i think that people are suffering from this disease just because of lack of knowledge and tinnitus is not a disease in fact it is a mind set.Tinnitus Relief Information - Your Guide To Relieving Ear Noise is presenting very clear view of tinnitus with its remedies and causes. I am very thankful to all of the people who are spreading message to masses. Stay healthy and keep spreading hope.

Back