Are some of the classes in separated public school classes dummied down for deaf?

dreamchaser

Reaction score
I have read lately a lot of posters say that they went to come classes that automatically lowered the standards of education just cuz someone was deaf.

Did anyone else experience that in Deaf ed? Did you get access to all the material that you needed for a good education in Deaf Ed?

I really appreciate your responses. I am trying really hard to get the full picture of our Deaf education system, and there are lots of differening opinions.

I have read lately a lot of posters say that they went to come classes that automatically lowered the standards of education just cuz someone was deaf.

Did anyone else experience that in Deaf ed? Did you get access to all the material that you needed for a good education in Deaf Ed?

I really appreciate your responses. I am trying really hard to get the full picture of our Deaf education system, and there are lots of differening opinions.

Just the title of this post is terribly insulting! I am old but assure you I had to work hard in school. I think I learned enough to keep educating myself when I left. The phrasing of a lot of these thread titles is just NASTY! IMO

I don't think dreamchaser meant ill will with the title. But a better title probably would've been: "Are some of the classes in separated public school classes with deaf students not of the same standards as hearing students" or something to that effect.

But to answer the question, I never felt that my education was lacking when I was in my IEP classes - it was no different than a study hall hour and I probably accomplished more. Other than my IEP classes I was in regular classes with all hearing peers.

I don't think dreamchaser meant ill will with the title. But a better title probably would've been: "Are some of the classes in separated public school classes with deaf students not of the same standards as hearing students" or something to that effect.

But to answer the question, I never felt that my education was lacking when I was in my IEP classes - it was no different than a study hall hour and I probably accomplished more. Other than my IEP classes I was in regular classes with all hearing peers.

You are right about the better title. I just feel mad sometimes because I feel like I put up with a lot out in public and want it to be better here.

You are right about the better title. I just feel mad sometimes because I feel like I put up with a lot out in public and want it to be better here.

Oh, I totally understand. I've gotten upset too when people have called me "deaf and dumb" or that they've "dummied down" something for me. It would be nice if there was more awareness here in a deaf forum. I was just assuming that dreamchaser wasn't doing it on purpose, that's all.

:sadwave:
Just the title of this post is terribly insulting! I am old but assure you I had to work hard in school. I think I learned enough to keep educating myself when I left. The phrasing of a lot of these thread titles is just NASTY! IMO

Please forgive me for the use of the word. I didn't care for it either. I was just repeating what I heard. That is why I was asking. I hate to believe anything I hear unless it is backed up by others.

Again, I am sorry if that sounded terrible. I was trying to be correct in repeating the wording of the question I was trying to ask. Please forgive me

:sadwave:

Please forgive me for the use of the word. I didn't care for it either. I was just repeating what I heard. That is why I was asking. I hate to believe anything I hear unless it is backed up by others.

Again, I am sorry if that sounded terrible. I was trying to be correct in repeating the wording of the question I was trying to ask. Please forgive me

I forgive you. I just like to come here for fun and get away from life where maybe people look at me funny when I talk or don't understand what I say. I am sensitive because I spent my whole life dealing with what you just now want to learn. I know you are sorry and don't want to be mean.

I forgive you. I just like to come here for fun and get away from life where maybe people look at me funny when I talk or don't understand what I say. I am sensitive because I spent my whole life dealing with what you just now want to learn. I know you are sorry and don't want to be mean.

Don't be sorry. YOu have every right to feel offended... I wasn't even thinking then I wrote that.. I was in a hurry to get to school, but I wanted to know what was up... I am trying to launch some campaigns here in Oregon to better our education system for our Deaf children,, and `college students, but I need to know the facts before I attack the admisistration.. I am doing research papers for my writing classes, that I am hoping to turn into proposals for change... I honestly, before God and the angels don't mean to hurt you or anyone.... Whatever I have left of this life, I want to make sure that no more Deaf children or adults get overlooked or abused by ignorant hearies,, and every time I open my stupid mouth,, I am just as stupid as all of hearies our here that just don't know any better, no matter how much we care.. we are still stupid until you tell us what happens in your world... I don't want our worlds to be separated anymore. I want to know how to make that bridge between us. But I can't even try to if I get my foot in I mouth out of ignorance. thank you for our forgiveness.. I would send u a smiley, but I feel that I might cry instead... dreamchaser,, just chasin the dream of a better tomorrow for all.

As to the actual content of the question, I believe this is very true. I only know this based on the English literacy levels of my students who have gone through such programs. I think the students get babied along and passed even if they should be held back, maybe out of pity, maybe out of lack of knowledge of what to do with them...maybe both, who knows.

As to the actual content of the question, I believe this is very true. I only know this based on the English literacy levels of my students who have gone through such programs. I think the students get babied along and passed even if they should be held back, maybe out of pity, maybe out of lack of knowledge of what to do with them...maybe both, who knows.

thanks for the info.. It is really appreciated. :)

Back